Called Verizon Today

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Boy, this thread quieted down quick, what gives?

there isn't much to do but wait it out now, it's not like this is a band new handset that no one has seen before, plus none of the normal tech blogs have done any reviews or anything yet...

there's just nothing to do but shoot my semi-real guns.

Sakic26

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I was told when I called a Verizon rep that I can call on the 26th to order the phone but would not get it until June 2nd. Does anyone know this to be true? If so why even order online and have to wait?

PZ+WP7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
They should have called it a PRE-Order... its seems so...

ugh... an extra week to get the device in my hands.... OR.... wait and see tomorrows announcement of new devices... (if the will be coming out before fall)...

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Outlook Connector for 2010 Outlook

Hopefully this explains my problem and even more hopefully someone here can be of help.

I am having a very aggravating problem with Outlook 2010. Back in November, I got one of the WP7 phones from AT&T just to see how I liked the new OS. I loved it and set it up to sync Outlook and MSN mail with no problem. I had to download an add-in called Outlook Connector which worked flawlessly.

In January, I sold that phone and went back to Verizon using a WinMo 6.5 phone. No need for the OLC so I didn?t know if it was a problem or not. Now, I am getting the WP7 Verizon phone in the next few days and lo and behold I get this update message when I opened Outlook. The OLC program had an update and I pressed update and it downloaded and would not load. It says the update failed; no matter what I tried.

I search the MS database and one of the suggestions was to uninstall the old OLC program, download and install the new one. Did the uninstall and rebooted to have a fresh start. I downloaded the new version and now no matter what I do, I get the message that the program failed to install. I must not be the only one because a search of this error message found quite a few post with the same complaint. MS offered some suggestions which worked for some but not for me. I?m a bit peeved but what can I do.

For those that have the Focus or other WP7 phone and try to use the Trophy, it will be interesting if you have the same problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I was told when I called a Verizon rep that I can call on the 26th to order the phone but would not get it until June 2nd. Does anyone know this to be true? If so why even order online and have to wait?

it should work the same way as the droid x2 did, you can get it online on the 26th, but if you deal with a store or any other channel, you will have to wait until the 2nd.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Guess the only advantage is if each store only gets 3 devices, like AT&T started with, you may have to wait a few days for restock, assuming there is a run on a particular store.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
on a side note, i think it's brilliant how verizon waited to release after the mango event when they will announce 9 new devices for wp7.5...

/sarcasm

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully this explains my problem and even more hopefully someone here can be of help.

I am having a very aggravating problem with Outlook 2010. Back in November, I got one of the WP7 phones from AT&T just to see how I liked the new OS. I loved it and set it up to sync Outlook and MSN mail with no problem. I had to download an add-in called Outlook Connector which worked flawlessly.

In January, I sold that phone and went back to Verizon using a WinMo 6.5 phone. No need for the OLC so I didn?t know if it was a problem or not. Now, I am getting the WP7 Verizon phone in the next few days and lo and behold I get this update message when I opened Outlook. The OLC program had an update and I pressed update and it downloaded and would not load. It says the update failed; no matter what I tried.

I search the MS database and one of the suggestions was to uninstall the old OLC program, download and install the new one. Did the uninstall and rebooted to have a fresh start. I downloaded the new version and now no matter what I do, I get the message that the program failed to install. I must not be the only one because a search of this error message found quite a few post with the same complaint. MS offered some suggestions which worked for some but not for me. I?m a bit peeved but what can I do.

For those that have the Focus or other WP7 phone and try to use the Trophy, it will be interesting if you have the same problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

I'm thinking once you use the connector and sync with Live you should not need the connector anymore ?
I have changed carriers and don't use the connector anymore ?
I just sync my live a account unless I did something different but I don't think I did

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
on a side note, i think it's brilliant how verizon waited to release after the mango event when they will announce 9 new devices for wp7.5...

/sarcasm

Well, Trophy is upgradeable to Mango, if I recall.

And, regardless, the odds of a Verizon phone being announced tomorrow seems slim. If you want Verizon and WP7 this is probably your only option until November at the earliest, and that's being optimistic. Very optimistic.

Last edited:

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

And, regardless, the odds of a Verizon phone being announced tomorrow seems slim. If you want Verizon and WP7 this is probably your only option until November at the earliest, and that's being optimistic. Very optimistic.

FWIW, I was in a Verizon store months ago talking to a Rep about WP7. He mentioned he had seen a couple of different devices being tested on the network. I have never seen anything that backs this up, so take it with a grain of salt.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

it is going to be upgradeable for sure, but the phones are what i'm talking about (which will be slated for release around mango, so Q4 anyways) especially if a vzw model is announced will put a damper on sales for the trophy.

to what effect really depends on what they show phone wise (if anything) for verizon.

still excited to see the trophy on verizon though! just not going to sign a contract to get it now. a month ago? totally would have done it.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Musings:

- How many months ago was it said that a Verizon WP7 device wouldn't show until June? I think we should listen to whoever said that from now on. Simply amazing it ended up actually happening. In a bad way.

- New devices will likely be announced tomorrow. It is unlikely that they will be attached to carriers. Categorically, I'd imagine they will be better than what we have now. So, what's the big incentive to purchase a Verizon Trophy this late in the game when 2nd generation devices are coming in a matter of months? Especially considering the price they're asking for it in comparison to SUPERIOR devices on other networks that are much cheaper?

I'm sorry I sound so bitter, but I'm starting to not see the benefit of so-called loyalty to carriers ...

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
- How many months ago was it said that a Verizon WP7 device wouldn't show until June? I think we should listen to whoever said that from now on. Simply amazing it ended up actually happening. In a bad way.

Isn't it funny how we all dismissed that rumor when we first heard it?

- New devices will likely be announced tomorrow. It is unlikely that they will be attached to carriers.

What makes you think that? Unfortunately, AFAIK almost every phone that gets sold in the US is attached to a single carrier, at least until they decide to provide unlock codes. Phones sold in other countries will of course not be carrier locked.

So, what's the big incentive to purchase a Verizon Trophy this late in the game when 2nd generation devices are coming in a matter of months?

I wouldn't necessarily count on any of those new devices being available on Verizon.

Then again, everything I just typed is guesswork. We'll find out tomorrow.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
What makes you think that? Unfortunately, AFAIK almost every phone that gets sold in the US is attached to a single carrier, at least until they decide to provide unlock codes. Phones sold in other countries will of course not be carrier locked.

I wouldn't necessarily count on any of those new devices being available on Verizon.

Then again, everything I just typed is guesswork. We'll find out tomorrow.

For the record, I didn't mean they wouldn't EVENTUALLY be tied to a carrier. I just meant that these are more about the OEM's and the devices (ala CES). The carriers attached to these phones will be announced at a later date, at the descretion of the carrier (I'm looking at you, Verizon ...).

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
oem's now (in the US at least) tend to design devices with carriers in mind at their release, the only company i can think of off the top of my head who hasn't recently is samsung with their galaxy s and galaxy s II lines, where they have made a generic phone, and then designed specific models for carriers after the fact.

i would expect 99% (if not all) the devices that may be announced tomorrow to be already tied to release on a specific carrier.

but man, what i would give for a galaxy s 2 style wp7 handset in the fall.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
WOW Mango WOW

Just watched the news conference and I must say: WOW. If there were any doubters about WP7 OS, they should have been put to bed today.

I don't profess to know or remember all of the new capabilities shown today but I do know that what I saw sealed the deal for me. I'm ordering the Trophy on Thursday without delay. Will it be the sexiest phone on the market; no. But when Mango comes in the fall, it will be the most complete Smartphone OS available running on a good platform, the Trophy.:happy:happy::happy:

PZ+WP7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Just looked at VZW site... 11:10am EST... Windows Phone Page is listed as "Page is Not Currently Available"
maybe they are updating it....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon