Upgrade or buy at full price?

chanmanx2k

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Ill be scouring ebay and CL as well. I have been waiting so long, I almost picked up the phone to buy at full price. But I will be holding out. How is warranty different when buying from VZW and from 3rd party such as ebay?

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
the verizon warranty will be invalid, since they don't know that the phone was working when you got it, but htc will honor their warranty.

i had to do this with a focus i recently bought, att wouldn't fix it for me, but samsung did.

but with verizon's stupid strict repair policies now, i'd rather it went to htc anyways.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Ouch. Definitely be waiting for one on ebay/CL...

Not worth $409 to run out my existing few months of contract... :( its not all bad.. the Samsung Focus is keeping me rolling with WP7 :)

K'mon MANGO !

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
LOL

I just went to the VZW web page to look at the specs etc.. I cant find the trophy under "Windows Phone" only shows the fathom and imagio. I had to go to "HTC" to find the phone :(

effn verizon..

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
LOL

I just went to the VZW web page to look at the specs etc.. I cant find the trophy under "Windows Phone" only shows the fathom and imagio. I had to go to "HTC" to find the phone :(

effn verizon..

I found that to be quite annoying, too. I had to click through "smartphones".

At least it's part of the scrolling splash on the verizonwireless home page.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Ouch. Definitely be waiting for one on ebay/CL...

Not worth $409 to run out my existing few months of contract... :( its not all bad.. the Samsung Focus is keeping me rolling with WP7 :)

K'mon MANGO !

Yeah, after all of this waiting I'm really torn on the pricing. If people start putting them up on CL or ebay for $200-250 in the next week or so, it may be worth holding out. That's wishful thinking, though, isn't it ... ? :dry

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I paid full retail for my Trophy even though my upgrade date is in July. I've been looking to get out of the iTunes ecosystem and really liked the UI of the demo unit I played with at the Verizon store. I figured I would save my upgrade for the next generation devices.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
LOL

effn verizon..

I found that to be quite annoying, too. I had to click through "smartphones".

At least it's part of the scrolling splash on the verizonwireless home page.

They moved it under "Windows Phone", now.

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
i'd really like to buy full retail so i can get a "good" WP7 device. now my noob question. what is this "CL" people keep referring to? :)

Amazon has the phone for $499 right now, obviously NOT the place to get it if you're interested. And last i saw, bestbuy.com showed $599.99 - wtf

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
i'm completely stumped.

BestBuy.com shows retail price at $599.99 - holy ****! I called cust service and they didn't say it was a mistake.
Likewise, Amazon.com shows $499.99.

What gives w/ the large deviations from VZWs $429.99 pricing?????

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i'm completely stumped.

BestBuy.com shows retail price at $599.99 - holy ****! I called cust service and they didn't say it was a mistake.
Likewise, Amazon.com shows $499.99.

What gives w/ the large deviations from VZWs $429.99 pricing?????

I think 3rd party resellers make most of their money selling contracts so they tend to bend you over if you want to buy a phone at full retail price.

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
jackpot

i found a best buy here in the twin cities that will "instant ship" one to me, i have option for overnight shipping.

This was the only store thus far to offer me the option so i told her to triple-check that she can do it, since they're about 25min away from me. she did and came back with "yup i have 32 in my warehouse, that's the good news. the bad news is that means we've sold 150 of them just today so this thing is HOT" :)

**** YEAH.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Speaking of Best Buy, I was going to suggest, even though I'm disappointed in how some of the stores are handling WinPhones (i.e., many reps are not trying to sell them), the "Buy Back" program they have might be something some of you might want to look at. If you use your upgrade through them, the "Buy Back" price they'll give when you return will be the retail price ($599.99), not the upgrade price ($149.99). Meaning, if a new phone comes to Verizon in the next six months (I wouldn't hold my breath :p), you could trade in $300 (or, rather, $240 since I believe it costs $60 for the program) towards the new phone.

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
i just bought mine at best buy tonight, the sales rep gave me some good advice:
the contract price is always a better deal, because the termination fee they charge is pro-rated on your account. which means, buy at $150 today, term fee of $350. you cancel in a year, your term fee is $175, meaning your phone cost you $325; cheaper than the $400+ you'd pay straight out. So unless you plan on cancelling your contract REALLY soon after buying it, go contract.

Also as a side note, the best buy rep i dealt with not only price matched my VZW loyalty discount ($30), but was also rocking a Samsung Focus :)

Best Buy, Burnsville, MN - HIGHLY recommended.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
the contract price is always a better deal, because the termination fee they charge is pro-rated on your account. which means, buy at $150 today, term fee of $350. you cancel in a year, your term fee is $175, meaning your phone cost you $325; cheaper than the $400+ you'd pay straight out.

I thought the ETF was $350 minus $10 for every month. So if you cancel after a year then its 350 - (10 * 12) = $230 for a total cost of $380. Still, that IS cheaper than full price, so point taken.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
the contract price is always a better deal, because the termination fee they charge is pro-rated on your account. which means, buy at $150 today, term fee of $350. you cancel in a year, your term fee is $175, meaning your phone cost you $325; cheaper than the $400+ you'd pay straight out. So unless you plan on cancelling your contract REALLY soon after buying it, go contract.

Also as a side note, the best buy rep i dealt with not only price matched my VZW loyalty discount ($30), but was also rocking a Samsung Focus :)

Best Buy, Burnsville, MN - HIGHLY recommended.

I'd agree ... if this were a newer phone. I'd rather save the contract upgrade for a better device coming either late this year or early next. I wouldn't want the Trophy for 2 years when its not even the best WP device out right now ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs