Post your HTC Trophy Reviews

brandonx1000

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i love everything about the phone...except the power button. after owning a plethora of droid devices, and an iphone at one point, it just seems so "squishy"

ill get used to it though, even though i hate it :)

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I love it as well. It's not a SLCD screen but it's very acceptable. I'm trying apps to see which ones to buy at present.

It feels well built and certainly is quick.

LilNeutrino

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Got mine on Friday. Love everything except the anemic battery. Was concerned that the lowly LCD screen would disappoint, but everything looks great on it. Didn't even think the camera was as bad as everyone was saying. It's a solid, well-built device.

Oh, I found this funny. I filled out the webform for the free Xbox 360 game, and shortly thereafter received an e-mail from Verizon which instructed me to go to att.com/Tutorials to learn how to use my new phone.

To quote one of my favorite ads: Really?

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
i've no complaints w/ the actual phone thus far. got mine today and have been playing around all afternoon.

The charger, however, wtf were they thinking. Plug in the cord to the bottom, that's all good. try and pull it out and what happens? the whole damn top pops off... seriously HTC? c'mon.

i did have to use HTC's "connection setup" app before my 3g connection would work, though. that was something my buddy who got his on Friday said he didn't have to do, so I'm not sure what was up w/ mine that required that.

The other mild annoyance was that if you presently have MSN Messenger, and you are coming from a feature phone, you have to use Backup Assistant to export, then import, your contacts into Windows Live.
Doing this means you'll not only end up with your contacts from BA on your new WP7, but also all the entries from messenger. I do NOT like this. I want the messenger ones to disappear from my phone! thus far cannot find a way to do this.

I knew that the whole "social" aspect of a smartphone would piss me off, so far it hasn't been *too* bad though.

WayneDiesel34

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine today, and I am loving it. Some people at work thought I was crazy for giving up on Android for The Trophy. (I am coming from a Droid 2 BTW). But the simplicity, and the ease of music, and picture transfer is great.

The speakers are nice and loud. The call quality is amazing. Everyone who I have made a call to have all said I sound so clear.

I haven't run into anything real bad to complain about so far.

Also, it's so good to be able to hear all my songs in their entirety. On the Droid 2 it was cutting it short at the fade.

Like I said, I'm loving this phone. It is a very solid device.

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having a problem where if they play music too loud or youtube videos too loud with the speaker it sounds a little scratchy terrible? Maybe I just got a bad speaker or something

brandonx1000

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i've no complaints w/ the actual phone thus far. got mine today and have been playing around all afternoon.

The charger, however, wtf were they thinking. Plug in the cord to the bottom, that's all good. try and pull it out and what happens? the whole damn top pops off... seriously HTC? c'mon.

i did have to use HTC's "connection setup" app before my 3g connection would work, though. that was something my buddy who got his on Friday said he didn't have to do, so I'm not sure what was up w/ mine that required that.

The other mild annoyance was that if you presently have MSN Messenger, and you are coming from a feature phone, you have to use Backup Assistant to export, then import, your contacts into Windows Live.
Doing this means you'll not only end up with your contacts from BA on your new WP7, but also all the entries from messenger. I do NOT like this. I want the messenger ones to disappear from my phone! thus far cannot find a way to do this.

I knew that the whole "social" aspect of a smartphone would piss me off, so far it hasn't been *too* bad though.

what do you mean?

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
what do you mean?

maybe i should take a video, but on the AC charger i have, when i plug in the USB cable it shipped with, the phone charges. and when i pull out that USB cable, from the charger, the whole top part of the charger (international adapter area) pops completely off and the bottom portion (not the part w/ the prongs) comes along w/ the USB cable...

rion_j

May 28, 2011
Visit site
here's my review. this device has really opened my eyes to how great wp7 OS is. i had no idea how awesome this OS was as i thought android was the best. boy was i wrong. having been a previous blackberry/android user wp7 is so refreshing in so many ways. i love the feel and build quality of the trophy. best handset i've owned, and the OS is so smooth I just cant get over how awesome this is. the keyboard is kick-*** and so much better than any keyboard on android and i've tried them all on android. everything just works which is so nice! no more chasing roms/themes down to better my android device only to find more things broken and constantly looking for the next best rom. so, yes I'm officially converted over to wp7 and couldn't be happier. mango is going to be awesome and i have a feeling even more people will be making the switch when this update drops!

Frenzytom#CB

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
here's my review. this device has really opened my eyes to how great wp7 OS is. i had no idea how awesome this OS was as i thought android was the best. boy was i wrong. having been a previous blackberry/android user wp7 is so refreshing in so many ways. i love the feel and build quality of the trophy. best handset i've owned, and the OS is so smooth I just cant get over how awesome this is. the keyboard is kick-*** and so much better than any keyboard on android and i've tried them all on android. everything just works which is so nice! no more chasing roms/themes down to better my android device only to find more things broken and constantly looking for the next best rom. so, yes I'm officially converted over to wp7 and couldn't be happier. mango is going to be awesome and i have a feeling even more people will be making the switch when this update drops!

I am on the same boat...WP7 looks very promising but missing a few key features that would eventually come in Mango/updates.

There are a few things keeping it from a perfect Android replacement and maybe you or someone can help clarify.

Navigation - Need turn-by-turn app. After coming from Android, it seems like a standard on newer phones.

Google integration - Need good gmail, talk, calander, contacts, etc replacement. How good does the Live tiles work with Google/Exchange?

Mac OS - Does WP7 hardware work flawlessly with Macs?

RSS integration - How does RSS feeds work? App or built-in to OS?

Password App - Good replacement for SplashID?

Words with Friends - need good games but this one most due to addiction.

That's it for now and I hope this side of the fence works as good as the Android/iOS sides.

Random of Amber

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering: does the Trophy split text messages longer than 160 characters?

You mean when you receive a 160+ char text? No. It puts them all together into one when you get it. At least that's been my experience when receiving long ones from another Verizon user (on an Android device I think).

Pretty nice upgrade from my old Touch Pro 2 that would split them. But just about everything on the Trophy is an upgrade for me. :)

Random of Amber

May 12, 2011
Visit site
maybe i should take a video, but on the AC charger i have, when i plug in the USB cable it shipped with, the phone charges. and when i pull out that USB cable, from the charger, the whole top part of the charger (international adapter area) pops completely off and the bottom portion (not the part w/ the prongs) comes along w/ the USB cable...

HTC seems to like that type of adapter. My Touch Pro 2 had the same thing. Interestingly enough, the TP2 (also a "world phone") included about 4 or 5 international adapter plugs while the Trophy didn't.

And yes, I had the same experience a few times with the TP2. I just learned to have to unplug from the wall first before unplugging the USB cable. I know that's not ideal.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
This plug comes with world phones from HTC. My HD7 trial unit had just a standard us wall plug with a usb port on it. I was wondering about the adaptors as well, do they cost extra?

rion_j

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I am on the same boat...WP7 looks very promising but missing a few key features that would eventually come in Mango/updates.

There are a few things keeping it from a perfect Android replacement and maybe you or someone can help clarify.

Navigation - Need turn-by-turn app. After coming from Android, it seems like a standard on newer phones.

Google integration - Need good gmail, talk, calander, contacts, etc replacement. How good does the Live tiles work with Google/Exchange?

That's it for now and I hope this side of the fence works as good as the Android/iOS sides.

ok, I'm new to wp7, but I'll answer your post with what i know so far:

Navigation - Need turn-by-turn app. After coming from Android, it seems like a standard on newer phones: Bing Maps is nice. Hit the Maps App > Enter your destination address, and within seconds step by step directions appear on the screen. There is also an app called: "Turn by Turn Navigation" that offers voice-guided driving direction. Btw, you can "try" any app/game in the marketplace before you buy. Love this feature. You basically get access to the complete app minus a few features typically which is nice before you commit.

Google integration - Need good gmail, talk, calander, contacts, etc replacement. How good does the Live tiles work with Google/Exchange?: I use Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo and let me tell you the mail clients are better imo than the Android Gmail client. Very clean interface and when a new email comes in, your Live tile will display a number letting you know you have a new message. I dont use Exchange on my device, but I've heard it's very good and better than exchange on Android.

Mac OS - Does WP7 hardware work flawlessly with Macs?: Zune Software right now is only available on PC, but they have a nice app for MAC called: Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac. I use a Mac as well, and this software is top notch: Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac | Windows Phone 7

RSS integration - How does RSS feeds work? App or built-in to OS?: There are a zillion RSS feed apps, it's not currently built into the OS, but there is an app called "weave" that is killer. It's super smooth and works like no other RSS app on iOS or Android: YouTube - ‪WP7 App Review: Weave (WMPowerUser.com)‬‏

Password App - Good replacement for SplashID?: Not familiar with SplashID, but I have seen password apps in the marketplace.

Words with Friends - need good games but this one most due to addiction: No words with friends yet, but games on wp7 are killer and look awesome on the trophy: Bejeweled Live, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, de Blob, Full House Poker, Hydro Thunder, Pac-Man CE DX, Parachute Panic to name a few. Btw, you can also earn achievements for these games and if your an Xbox gamer you'll love this integration.

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

Navigation - download Drive On from marketplace

Google integration - I am able to connect to my Gmail, calendar, & contacts w/o issue. The only hang up thus far has been not supporting multiple calendars in the same Google calendar account

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Think your other questions have already been answered. For passwords, take a look at SkyWallet. Excellent electronic wallet/password app that syncs with SkyDrive. I believe there is a tool that will import your Splash ID data as well. Additionally, there is a desktop companion, but only for PC right now. As its only a single EXE file though, isn't there something in Mac OS that will run PC programs. That's what the dev suggested anyway.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

LilNeutrino

May 12, 2011
Visit site
As far as navigation goes, I find Turn by Turn Navigation to be superior to Drive On, and there's a Words with Friends clone called Words by Post which isn't as pretty but is similarly addictive. It's also cross-platform with Android, so you can play with those folks, too.

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Aside from my complaints/thoughts on WP7 in general, there are only ~3 things I don't like about the Trophy, after 8 days of usage:

1) volume buttons are too flush, i continually find it hard to find them while on the phone or otherwise
2) USB connector on the side causes me to hit the camera button while i'm trying to plug it in nearly all the time
3) can't get to the storage card w/o voiding the warranty
4) ac adaptor will pop its top every time you go to unplug by pulling on the USB cord. very annoying to me. i think there should've been some little "lock" switch you slide over or something to lock the top in to place.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos