Gorilla Glass?

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Now that these things are arriving in peoples' hands, i thought i'd pose the question:

Does the VZW model have Gorilla Glass or not?
According to Corning it does, but the international specs, as we've found out (SLCD anybody?) were in fact different than what's arrived at VZW...

Any way we can find out definitively? i want to know if i should be spending money on a protector or not.

Thanks!

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This may be a dumb question, but I've never owned anything that has gorilla glass. Is there any way one can tell if you have it without being told you do?

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
You could try to scratch it with a key... :p (Disclaimer: don't use this method. lol)

Phone Arena claims "scratch resistant glass" for both the Trophy and the Surround, which corresponds with Corning's list and isn't something you see in everyone else's specs, and it doesn't show it for the Arrive :)(), which still corresponds, so maybe?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I tried scratching my Focus screen with a key to shut my iPhone 4 having buddys mouth. The screen was fine, no scratches afterwards. O then passed him the keys, but he declined. LOL.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
well, the focus has gorilla glass, so it's more tricky than bold :p

the trophy SHOULD have it as well, but don't quote me on it...

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i asked htc via twitter about both the gorilla glass and sLCD regarding the verizon trophy, i'll let you guys know if they answer... :)

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i asked htc via twitter about both the gorilla glass and sLCD regarding the verizon trophy, i'll let you guys know if they answer... :)

Seeing as HTC's own website lists a processor that by all acounts doesnt exist. Im not sure anyone that monitors their twitter account is a reliable source for ANY information. Just sayin ;)

Also, if the screen is sLCD then sLCD is no better than regular lcd ;) I am pretty sure anyone who has 1. used a demo unit, 2. owns a trophy already, will tell you its not a sLCD :)

The Trophy is on the gorilla glass list, "I assume" that was the Euro version because its been there a while. I don't see why they would change that particular detail on the VZW version, but then again maybe they would...it is vzw.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Seeing as how they changed the slcd in the euro version to a tft LCD they could remove the gorilla glass as well.

Verizon has been going slowly crazy lately...

Biased123

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It seems as though this may actually have Gorilla Glass, but does that mean a screen precetor is superfluous? If so, I think we really need to figure out if it does in deed have GG. It will save everyone some money.

If it is not, any recommendations on screen protectors? There are lots out there. I am looking for a non-matte finish screen that baiscally looks like the normal screen. Don;t care about glare reduction, to be honest.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
FWIW.... I have a Focus.. that definitely has Gorilla Glass.... I have a screen protector on it... albeit a lousy one.. LOL

I think its a bit naive to think the display cannot be scratched... If you look on ebay or other places for a focus.. and you will surely see some with scratches on the display..

just .02

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I already have a small scratch on my Trophy, so I don't think it is Gorilla Glass. Happened on the second day. Never dropped it.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I am just curious how people are scratching their screens in the first place. I have had smart phones for a while now, and before this one they were all resistive touch screens made of plastic. If I looked very very closely at the perfect angle I could see some very minor scratching after 2 years of use.

I wouldnt think I will have even that problem with a screen thats made of glass. I suppose the fact that its always stored in my pocket with NOTHING else helps, but is scratching a screen really "that" easy? or are people way more rough with their devices than I am?

This is seriously just my curiosity because I have never had this problem and always thought screen protectors caused more problems than they solve.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
CamaroGuy,

Dude.. I am brutal on equipment.. I dont know how or why.. if you saw my POS imagio right now you would cringe... I took the screen protector off cause I actually believed the rumors of WP7 on VZW in Feb/March..

Imagio screen is trashed ! I often just throw the phone in my pocket or on the car seat .. or in my golf bag etc...

I'm just rough on equipment... so.. the Focus has had full coverage from day one :)

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, I managed to get a small scratch on my screen. I'm always careful (as we all say, no?) where I put the phone. When in my bag, I use the case. When in my pocket, I have nothing else inside with it. I think it happened when I had my phone in my hand and I pulled out the charger. It nicked my phone, but I didn't noticing anything until the day after. If that was it, it surely should have scratched it if this screen is made of Gorilla glass, right?

The scratch is not noticeable so long as there is no black behind it. Any other color and the scratch is invisible. Still though, it's annoying me to no end, and I'm afraid that it can get worse. Aside from replacing the whole screen, is there anything I can do?

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I managed to get a small scratch on my screen. I'm always careful (as we all say, no?) where I put the phone. When in my bag, I use the case. When in my pocket, I have nothing else inside with it. I think it happened when I had my phone in my hand and I pulled out the charger. It nicked my phone, but I didn't noticing anything until the day after. If that was it, it surely should have scratched it if this screen is made of Gorilla glass, right?

The scratch is not noticeable so long as there is no black behind it. Any other color and the scratch is invisible. Still though, it's annoying me to no end, and I'm afraid that it can get worse. Aside from replacing the whole screen, is there anything I can do?
well, i say you take on the SLCD replacement on eBay that's been floated around here, then tell us all how it went! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss