Bump to 32GB anyone?

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Someone I know very well (but not me, no, never I'd never void my warranty) has done this with a 32GB SanDisk Class 2 card.

The initial sync takes forever, but it sure would have been nice to have this option out of the box from vzw.

sko

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm really thinking about doing this... but the only reason would be to hold more music... maybe picture/videos as well... but... 16GB is what I have on my Pre Plus and it seems to be enough... hmmm... how much are these 32GB cards going for?

sko

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Alright, the more the better, i got the hook-up!

Also bought a skinomi full body skin, with carbon fiber, muahahaha! Presents for the present!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
eBay & 32 gig cards

The initial sync with the base Class-4 16GB already takes long as it is, can't imagine how much longer it would be with a class-2. That's why I'll be getting a Class-4 Sandisk 32GB. They're selling 'em on eBay relatively cheap ($57): Sandisk 32GB 32 GB Micro SD SDHC Class 4 Memory Card | eBay

Be aware of ordering from eBay. I bought a 32 gig card and it turned out to be counterfit; seller dissappeared and I lost my money. Try Amazon, roughly the same price but will be genuine.:mad:

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I watched the Focus thread on SD card upgrades and saw much of the same ideas as here. Plenty of counterfit 32GB cards and class 4 cards not working as well as class 2. Most, but not all of the folks that have sucessful 32gb upgrades did so with a San Disk 32GB Class 2 from a reputable seller. "My friend" got his from B&H. IMHO if the card doesn't come in a san disk card pack you're really rolling the dice.

FWIW, 32GB means you don't have to pay as close attention to how much music you load. You can also allocate more space for attachments and camera functions. Too bad we won't see 64GB versions, well not unless they come up with micro SDXC in 64GB or a device with two micro SDHC slots.

sko

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Done and Done... 32GB for me! :D

Be sure to hard reset after install... Nearly had a heart attack when I rebooted and it and it was all like "Your SD card is teh no good!"

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I am going to try a Patriot Class 4 today. That's the only brand they have @ Fry's, and I don't want to wait for Amazon/Ebay to ship it because I'm leaving the country next week.

tsquare2112

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I did mine today, about 7 hours ago. I used a 32GB Sandisk Class 4 that came with my thunderbolt.

I just used a very small flat head screwdriver from my computer tools, used the credit card trick to open the case, peeled back the silver stuff and popped out the old, and in with the new.

Upon restart, I got the error screen that card was bad, or not formatted. Scared me for a second, because I did not know how to format the card.

Then I used the button hold down upon reboot, and it restarted and formatted the card, then all was well.

Activated, set up everything, then off I went. So far so good. It seems to be even faster than before, for sure it is smoother.

Enjoy.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Went to the Death Star today, bought a 32GB which cost me $132 that I plan on later returning. It's the Sandisk Class 2. Swapped the cards and went to town on the Zune SW. Yay for syncing ALL my music now! :-D

The sad news, though, is that many settings were lost, including accent color, live tile positions, app installs, email setup, and most importantly, text messages and the notes from the HTC Notes app :-/ #shouldveusedonenote

Incidentally, anybody know how to extract data from a microSD card that's been used on a Windows Phone, and whether the data inside is encrypted? I really do want to recuperate those notes I had, but dont want to open up the phone again unless absolutely necessary...

Last edited:

tsquare2112

May 29, 2011
Visit site
My suggestion:
Go to an AT&T store, look at the focus (i believe it has external storage) load your card, and then up load the notes over to a web based software.

Just a thought. I knew I was going to lose everything. For notes, I have used evernote FOREVER, but now wp7 does not support it so I am exploring options.

Anyone suggest a good web based software for notes?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
1, the Focus (like all WP7 phones) requires a hard reset to recognize the card. This will reformat everything.

2, I use OneNote for my notes, as it will sync with my Live account. All I have to do is log into Live on any PC to view it.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb