Bump to 32GB anyone?

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
The sad news, though, is that many settings were lost, including accent color, live tile positions, app installs, email setup, and most importantly, text messages and the notes from the HTC Notes app :-/ #shouldveusedonenote

Incidentally, anybody know how to extract data from a microSD card that's been used on a Windows Phone, and whether the data inside is encrypted? I really do want to recuperate those notes I had, but dont want to open up the phone again unless absolutely necessary...

Yes, the SD Cards are encrypted. No, you can't currently use a phone other than the one the card came out of to read the data on said card.

Just a thought. I knew I was going to lose everything. For notes, I have used evernote FOREVER, but now wp7 does not support it so I am exploring options.

Anyone suggest a good web based software for notes?

OneNote on your phone will sync to OneNote on Office.Live.com, which can also sync to OneNote on a PC.

Evernote is supposed to be coming to WP7, but when hasn't really been answered.

tsquare2112

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Evernote is the best for me, my wife uses Android and since evernote is pc/mac/android/ios/webos it always worked good since we share an account for family information. I will just wait until it comes to wp7. I do not see me changing os anytime soon, I am loving wp7 so far. I only think it will grow from here. However, I will look into one note.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious to see how OneNote works for little note snippets. I've used it before for class lecture, and it's a big, bulky program. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it has a lot of functionality for taking notes in that scenario, but how does it handle small little notes in the style of Outlook Notes/Sticky Notes/HTC Notes app?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I use OneNote for larger tasks like maintaining lists of all my installed and deleted apps. I love the app, but don't think it works well for small stuff, for the reasons you describe.

Using Notesly+, which has a nice WP interface and syncs with Dropbox. But no easy way to load files from the PC as each record is a combination of a TXT and HTM file. Playing with DropNotes now, wich also syncs with Dropbox and uses straight TXT files, so you can upload Notepad files from the PC. Small problem with rh app clipping files but the dev is working on a update to correct.

Most important part of any of these apps is a good backup solution. Always have my phone with me so sync of these small files with the PC is not as critical for me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
@mango.lover

did you ever tried the patriot 32gb class 4 ? I was thinking of buying it, so i would really appreciate if you have any experience with it.

SleepyTheDon

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I did mine today, about 7 hours ago. I used a 32GB Sandisk Class 4 that came with my thunderbolt.

I just used a very small flat head screwdriver from my computer tools, used the credit card trick to open the case, peeled back the silver stuff and popped out the old, and in with the new.

Upon restart, I got the error screen that card was bad, or not formatted. Scared me for a second, because I did not know how to format the card.

Then I used the button hold down upon reboot, and it restarted and formatted the card, then all was well.

Activated, set up everything, then off I went. So far so good. It seems to be even faster than before, for sure it is smoother.

Enjoy.

I plan on doing the same thing with the same card
my Trophy will be here tomorrow

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Quick question for those who have done this. After you do the hard reset can you then restore a backup? I thought I read somewhere that a backup doesn't work anymore if you have a different storage size, but I was just wondering if anyone has tried this.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand the only thing you really can backup is text messages. everything else will either re-sync via the cloud or Zune Client.

That said I did my bump days after I got my Trophy, so it wasn't like I had a lot to backup.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
What I'm referring to is the backup that was made when I updated my phone to Mango. This is a full backup - OS, texts, apps, pictures, game progress, everything. I'm wondering if I upgrade the storage can I then restore that backup.

Really, the only thing that I care about is game progress. I don't play games that often, but losing your progress is really annoying. Texts aren't a big deal to me, and as you said everything else can sync via zune or the cloud.

If MS would do the right thing and allow game saves in the cloud then I wouldn't have to care about resetting at all. Also, I'm hoping that the web-based Marketplace will allow you to decide which apps will automatically reinstall on your phone. This would really make a hard reset completely painless. Make it happen, MS!

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I didn't think about game saves and have no idea if that's one of the things that's saved. I didn't get the impression that the Mango backup utility was very granuarl, but who knows.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure a Class 4 is fine, but I was wondering if a Class 6 or Class 10 would be of any real benefit? Just wanted to inquire before I pickup a class 4 32GB card.

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure a Class 4 is fine, but I was wondering if a Class 6 or Class 10 would be of any real benefit? Just wanted to inquire before I pickup a class 4 32GB card.

NO!

The reason why you want a class 2 or at most a class 4 is that WP7 focuses on random read and write speeds, not outright single file transfer speed. There's a good chance that if you put a class 10 in, your phone is going to run like CRAP.

WP7 doesn't use SDHC the same way android does, so just because a card works in a android device, doesn't mean it will work in WP7.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, that is good to know. So just follow the lovely directions on XDA-Developers which look fairly straight forward, pop the 32GB card in and seal it up. Then hard reset the Trophy and voila I'm good to go.

lherch

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Just finished mine and apart from slightly freaking out during the reset phase, everything went great and I am very happy!!! Used a SD 32GB class 4 and it's zipping right along!!! Do it, you'll be glad you did, but then I like taking things apart so I could be biased.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Just finished mine and apart from slightly freaking out during the reset phase, everything went great and I am very happy!!! Used a SD 32GB class 4 and it's zipping right along!!! Do it, you'll be glad you did, but then I like taking things apart so I could be biased.

You know, reading that got me pumped. I think I'm going to give it a try too. Where did you order the card from, if you don't mind me asking?

I think I'm going to try putting Mango on too. That only really leaves the battery issue (the 1300mAh just doesn't do it during my heavy days), but I don't think the bulk of the 2150mAh will allow my case to fit anymore. Was thinking about an 1800mAh, but I haven't read enough experiences to find out how much it improves battery life. Decisions ...:confused:

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone done any benchmarking tests like wpbench? I'd love to see some before/after numbers for stock vs replacement cards.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss