01-22-2012 03:29 AM
52 123
tools
    Someone I know very well (but not me, no, never I'd never void my warranty) has done this with a 32GB SanDisk Class 2 card.

The initial sync takes forever, but it sure would have been nice to have this option out of the box from vzw.
    bc3tech likes this.
    05-29-2011 06:23 PM
    Yeah, I'm really thinking about doing this... but the only reason would be to hold more music... maybe picture/videos as well... but... 16GB is what I have on my Pre Plus and it seems to be enough... hmmm... how much are these 32GB cards going for?
    05-29-2011 06:37 PM
    The initial sync with the base Class-4 16GB already takes long as it is, can't imagine how much longer it would be with a class-2. That's why I'll be getting a Class-4 Sandisk 32GB. They're selling 'em on eBay relatively cheap ($57): Sandisk 32GB 32 GB Micro SD SDHC Class 4 Memory Card | eBay
    bc3tech likes this.
    05-29-2011 06:41 PM
    Alright, the more the better, i got the hook-up!

Also bought a skinomi full body skin, with carbon fiber, muahahaha! Presents for the present!
    05-29-2011 07:16 PM
    I have a 32GB SanDisk class 4 that I am going to drop in mine once I get it.
    05-29-2011 10:02 PM
    How do u change it?

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express
    05-29-2011 10:17 PM
    try looking over at xda-developers in the trophy section. There is a step by step guide.
    05-29-2011 10:45 PM
    did you miss the big article on the front page of wpcentral.com?
    05-30-2011 01:29 AM
    The initial sync with the base Class-4 16GB already takes long as it is, can't imagine how much longer it would be with a class-2. That's why I'll be getting a Class-4 Sandisk 32GB. They're selling 'em on eBay relatively cheap ($57): Sandisk 32GB 32 GB Micro SD SDHC Class 4 Memory Card | eBay

Be aware of ordering from eBay. I bought a 32 gig card and it turned out to be counterfit; seller dissappeared and I lost my money. Try Amazon, roughly the same price but will be genuine.:mad:
    05-30-2011 10:42 AM
    I watched the Focus thread on SD card upgrades and saw much of the same ideas as here. Plenty of counterfit 32GB cards and class 4 cards not working as well as class 2. Most, but not all of the folks that have sucessful 32gb upgrades did so with a San Disk 32GB Class 2 from a reputable seller. "My friend" got his from B&H. IMHO if the card doesn't come in a san disk card pack you're really rolling the dice.

FWIW, 32GB means you don't have to pay as close attention to how much music you load. You can also allocate more space for attachments and camera functions. Too bad we won't see 64GB versions, well not unless they come up with micro SDXC in 64GB or a device with two micro SDHC slots.
    05-30-2011 12:28 PM
    It was actually in the news last week: Kingmax flaunts world's first 64GB microSD card -- Engadget

Thanks for the Amazon tip, it really is roughly the same price. Here's the page for those interested: Amazon.com: SanDisk Flash 32 GB microSDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDQM-032G, Black: Electronics
    05-30-2011 03:59 PM
    Nice, too bad nearly every cell phone made can't read SD XC, but the future...I like the future.
    05-30-2011 10:39 PM
    Done and Done... 32GB for me! :D

Be sure to hard reset after install... Nearly had a heart attack when I rebooted and it and it was all like "Your SD card is teh no good!"
    Big Supes and bc3tech like this.
    06-03-2011 12:25 AM
    Done and Done... 32GB for me! :D

Be sure to hard reset after install... Nearly had a heart attack when I rebooted and it and it was all like "Your SD card is teh no good!"
    What card did you use? Was there any perf loss/gain?
    06-03-2011 02:04 PM
    I am going to try a Patriot Class 4 today. That's the only brand they have @ Fry's, and I don't want to wait for Amazon/Ebay to ship it because I'm leaving the country next week.
    06-03-2011 02:26 PM
    What card did you use? Was there any perf loss/gain?
    "My Friend" used a Sandisk 32GB Class 2, the one that's listed as an approved version for the Samsung focus.

IMHO it works great, maybe even a bit faster than the 16GB Class 4 that came out of the device.
    bc3tech likes this.
    06-03-2011 04:48 PM
    I did mine today, about 7 hours ago. I used a 32GB Sandisk Class 4 that came with my thunderbolt.

I just used a very small flat head screwdriver from my computer tools, used the credit card trick to open the case, peeled back the silver stuff and popped out the old, and in with the new.

Upon restart, I got the error screen that card was bad, or not formatted. Scared me for a second, because I did not know how to format the card.

Then I used the button hold down upon reboot, and it restarted and formatted the card, then all was well.

Activated, set up everything, then off I went. So far so good. It seems to be even faster than before, for sure it is smoother.

Enjoy.
    06-04-2011 10:43 PM
    Went to the Death Star today, bought a 32GB which cost me $132 that I plan on later returning. It's the Sandisk Class 2. Swapped the cards and went to town on the Zune SW. Yay for syncing ALL my music now! :-D

The sad news, though, is that many settings were lost, including accent color, live tile positions, app installs, email setup, and most importantly, text messages and the notes from the HTC Notes app :-/ #shouldveusedonenote

Incidentally, anybody know how to extract data from a microSD card that's been used on a Windows Phone, and whether the data inside is encrypted? I really do want to recuperate those notes I had, but dont want to open up the phone again unless absolutely necessary...
    Last edited by mango.lover; 06-05-2011 at 02:54 AM.
    06-05-2011 02:41 AM
    My suggestion:
    Go to an AT&T store, look at the focus (i believe it has external storage) load your card, and then up load the notes over to a web based software.

Just a thought. I knew I was going to lose everything. For notes, I have used evernote FOREVER, but now wp7 does not support it so I am exploring options.

Anyone suggest a good web based software for notes?
    06-05-2011 11:44 AM
    1, the Focus (like all WP7 phones) requires a hard reset to recognize the card. This will reformat everything.

2, I use OneNote for my notes, as it will sync with my Live account. All I have to do is log into Live on any PC to view it.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    06-05-2011 11:50 AM
    The sad news, though, is that many settings were lost, including accent color, live tile positions, app installs, email setup, and most importantly, text messages and the notes from the HTC Notes app :-/ #shouldveusedonenote

Incidentally, anybody know how to extract data from a microSD card that's been used on a Windows Phone, and whether the data inside is encrypted? I really do want to recuperate those notes I had, but dont want to open up the phone again unless absolutely necessary...
    Yes, the SD Cards are encrypted. No, you can't currently use a phone other than the one the card came out of to read the data on said card.

Just a thought. I knew I was going to lose everything. For notes, I have used evernote FOREVER, but now wp7 does not support it so I am exploring options.

Anyone suggest a good web based software for notes?
    OneNote on your phone will sync to OneNote on Office.Live.com, which can also sync to OneNote on a PC.

Evernote is supposed to be coming to WP7, but when hasn't really been answered.
    06-05-2011 11:50 AM
    Evernote is the best for me, my wife uses Android and since evernote is pc/mac/android/ios/webos it always worked good since we share an account for family information. I will just wait until it comes to wp7. I do not see me changing os anytime soon, I am loving wp7 so far. I only think it will grow from here. However, I will look into one note.
    06-05-2011 12:08 PM
    I'm curious to see how OneNote works for little note snippets. I've used it before for class lecture, and it's a big, bulky program. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it has a lot of functionality for taking notes in that scenario, but how does it handle small little notes in the style of Outlook Notes/Sticky Notes/HTC Notes app?
    06-05-2011 02:17 PM
    I use OneNote for larger tasks like maintaining lists of all my installed and deleted apps. I love the app, but don't think it works well for small stuff, for the reasons you describe.

Using Notesly+, which has a nice WP interface and syncs with Dropbox. But no easy way to load files from the PC as each record is a combination of a TXT and HTM file. Playing with DropNotes now, wich also syncs with Dropbox and uses straight TXT files, so you can upload Notepad files from the PC. Small problem with rh app clipping files but the dev is working on a update to correct.

Most important part of any of these apps is a good backup solution. Always have my phone with me so sync of these small files with the PC is not as critical for me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    06-05-2011 05:00 PM
    @mango.lover

did you ever tried the patriot 32gb class 4 ? I was thinking of buying it, so i would really appreciate if you have any experience with it.
    08-01-2011 09:47 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD