my wild goose chase

jrj2013

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So i set out this morning in Rochester, Mn to find myself a trophy that I have been waiting for since WP7 was announced last february. Went to vzw #1 - none in stock, #2 - said they may get a shipment at 11am or 2pm(nothing in the 11am shipment so far today) so i went home dejected, but get a call from a guy at the local best buy saying they have two in stock. Huzzah i say and head over there only for their software to refuse to release the phone because i'm trying to buy it off contract. They said they'd call me when it works and i can call back. Meanwhile back in my hometown in eastern iowa my normal vzw store happens to have 2 in stock....summer internship FTL i suppose

/rant

zreddog

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I just called one of my local stores . the Rep told me they wont get it unless they special order it.....

Second strore I called thought they were coming in today but they dont have them either.

Chris

Last edited:

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Went to my local store, nothing. He started looking at his computer and wasn't sure but said it should come in the next couple weeks.

Also he kept questioning why I was getting this instead of an Android phone. He was relentless. He made classic statements like "Android is 6 years beyond everyone else" (which he said twice, as if it were a prepared statement) and "Google is just this huge megacorporation that is taking over everything". I made several comments to let him know I was somewhat knowledgeable about smartphones (he's never even heard of Mango). Didn't matter, he still kept pressing Android (and the new Charge, the most expensive phone in the store; SURPRISE) as light years beyond iOS and WP7.

Seriously, these store reps are causing far more harm than good. I'll never understand why SO many of them are such Android fanboys. A sales a sale, right?

zreddog

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I tracked down 3 phones at a best buy. none of the local ones i pass on the way home had one. So i took a drive out to see it. the sales people were pretty clueless and it took them 5 min to even find the phone.

so it looks and feels nice but I wasnt going to pay $150 for it. they said no price match with Amazon so I walked.

At least i will feel better ordering online now that i have actually touched one.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
if you order from amazon, do you pay tax on cell phones?

that would be a killer savings for us in CA who are taxed on the full retail price.

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site
if you order from amazon, do you pay tax on cell phones?

that would be a killer savings for us in CA who are taxed on the full retail price.

This is actually part of the reason I ordered from Amazon. From Verizon I would have paid about $185 with tax. From Amazon I paid $99.99, no tax. Now it is $49.99 on Amazon + a $25 Amazon gift card.

Note: I am sure some states pay taxes on stuff from Amazon, but those of us in Cali luck out on this one.

zreddog

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Amazon Rocks!

I ordered from Amazon over the weekend. The phone shipped today.
I upgraded an existing family line so it was $99. should get an email from Amazon in 5 days with my $25 gift. should still be eligible for free xbox game.

No Tax
Free shipping

you do the math!

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
you can't beat amazon 99% of the time.

but i found out if you want to add a line to get the phone and then use it on your line, you can't.

well, you can, but you have to pay $250 in fees.

it's not something that i didn't expect though, as that's how wirefly or sites like that work as well, just more of an FYI :)

zreddog

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess I better like the WP7 then. at least enough to keep it 180 days or whatever the term is. I was originally thinking I would give to my wife if I didnt like it.

YourMobileGuru

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

but i found out if you want to add a line to get the phone and then use it on your line, you can't.

it's not something that i didn't expect though, as that's how wirefly or sites like that work as well, just more of an FYI :)

Letstalk.com (also sold through walmart.com) is the same way.

Krobix

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
My local verizon store is a corporate store and they had no clue about he trophy most of the reps didnt have a clue about what it was but the ones that had heard of it did not have a single clue about when they would get it even though it had been released for two weeks prior to this specific situation im talking about. I have come to this conclusion: No one at verizon cares about anything WP7, it goes like this Android then iPhone (because there are hardcore apple fanboys that refuse to look at anything else) then somewhere between blackberry and palm is WP7.

ptb127

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking about buying the HTC Trophy on a new line and then use it on line, so you're saying I can't do that?

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about buying the HTC Trophy on a new line and then use it on line, so you're saying I can't do that?
That's only if you buy it online through Amazon or services like WireFly. If you buy the phone through Verizon, you're free to switch the phone to whatever line you'd like.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans