What do I do First?

zreddog

May 23, 2011
Visit site
New Trophy is sitting on my front porch (according to UPS web site). I am new to windows Phone, So besides activating on Verizon what should I do first?

I have a live ID setup. loaded ZUNE onto PC. even tried to configure hotsync with outlook to transfer calendar and contacts to phone ( this may be another thread in a few days).

Thanks

Chris

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Enter your LiveID and contacts/calendar with start syncing. Your Hotmail account will also get created. You can go back and modify email settings later. If you don't already have one, sign up for XBox Live with your LiveID and create your avatar. That will also sync with your phone. Plug into Zune desktop and sync the folders/subfolders for music, pictures & video you want on your phone. Go to the Zune site and sign up fo the 14 day Zune Pass. I buet you like it and you typically purchase music anyway, it's very affordable. Then go to Zune Maeletplace and start looking for apps. I would suggest starting with the top 100. Most of those are free and many, like Adobe Acrobat and YouTube, are essential for viewing those files. Have fun.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

zreddog

May 23, 2011
Visit site
7 days later.........

yep, its been a week.

Things are going pretty good. this phone is WAY better than my Storm I in most every catagory.

But I have a few small questions hopefully someone has an answer to (these may just be WP7 questions).

Aside from YouTube I cant view videos. what do I need?

Browsing the internet: I would like a back button. What am I doing wrong?( note>>> I may not understand how this browser works. I hit the back arrow and it saves the page rather than just keeping the same page.)

I will think of more, but these are bugging me right now.
Thanks
Chris

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
yep, its been a week.

Things are going pretty good. this phone is WAY better than my Storm I in most every catagory.

But I have a few small questions hopefully someone has an answer to (these may just be WP7 questions).

Aside from YouTube I cant view videos. what do I need?

Browsing the internet: I would like a back button. What am I doing wrong?( note>>> I may not understand how this browser works. I hit the back arrow and it saves the page rather than just keeping the same page.)

I will think of more, but these are bugging me right now.
Thanks
Chris

Your video issue is probably Flash related. WP7 doesn't support Flash and probably never will for various performance and security related issues.

You can use the back capacitive button on your device to go back to previous pages. It's limited to current IE sessions, though.

Don't feel bad, man. Hasn't been a week yet for me and I'm still learning myself. For the most part its really simple to use, though.

Scorask

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
How did you know to do all this first? I should be getting my Verizon HTC Trophy in a day or so, should I do the same? Also, what other apps would you consider essential for the Trophy? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

zreddog

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Read the Forums

I read all the forum posts I could before the phone got here.

I use email, Facebook ( both the app and the internet version, I do not have my phone linked to my facebook account), weatherbug ( Live tile not as good but I think the info in app is better then weatherchannel), I play music thru zune but havent bought a subscription), xbox for games ( so far the free games are keeping me occupied). I have a bunch of other stuff loaded but none of it is essential to me.

By the way, the battery life is going to suck. I keep the phone on the charger whenever possible. with heavy use its good for about 7 hours.

Enjoy!
Chris

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Proper set up of tiles. I played with my tile setup for a week until I got it exactly how I wanted it.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Last edited:

Scorask

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I read all the forum posts I could before the phone got here.

I use email, Facebook ( both the app and the internet version, I do not have my phone linked to my facebook account), weatherbug ( Live tile not as good but I think the info in app is better then weatherchannel), I play music thru zune but havent bought a subscription), xbox for games ( so far the free games are keeping me occupied). I have a bunch of other stuff loaded but none of it is essential to me.

By the way, the battery life is going to suck. I keep the phone on the charger whenever possible. with heavy use its good for about 7 hours.

Enjoy!
Chris

Thanks for the response.

Scorask

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
All set up, so far so good. Trying to get used to the feel. Only disappointment so far is that I can't transfer my contacts over from my bb. Any chance there is a way around that?

zreddog

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I had my BB synced to my outlook. so I used the hotmail connector and moved my calendar and contacts over. Its not as clean as i would like it but it does work.

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd do what someone above said and just go to your zune player on your desktop and look at the top 100 apps. I would recommend Lazytube for a youtube player, Weather Channel for a weather one ( Most reliable live tile updates), Cartoon TV for some cartoons for your kids or self (free as well), Package Tracker for people who buy and sell online ($.99), 3D Paperball (free game), Tentacles ($4.99 game with a free trial), Xbox live Extras, if your a music video fan definitely download Vevo (free), any others I would say is personal use really. Just a few I would suggest to anyone really.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Just got my trophy yesterday! Any recommendations for google reader and note apps would be appreciated.

I really like ngreader and RSStogo, I prob use ng more often but sometime I like to mix it up. For notes you have OneNote in the office hub and Evernote that you can grab as an app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs