Should I get the Trophy? Advice appreciated

mozzarella72

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm a webOS user that has been waiting for the Pre3 for a long time. I've had a pre plus on verizon for about a year and a half now, and its breaking down. It resets itself every now and then, and it is pretty slow. I love webOS but once i realized i couldnt get a pre3, i started to research windows phone 7.

I was going to get an android and wait for Ice cream sandwich, but i went to the vz store today and realized i hate android. I played around with the trophy though, and I loved it. I normally dont like touch screen keyboard, but this one was so easy to use. I also love the size of the phone and the design. I'm not into huge phones.

Anyway now I want one, but I'm debating if I should wait or not. It is kinda old in the tech world. But it seemed speedy to me, plus Mango is coming out soon. I dont really know what I'd be waiting for, except maybe a nokia device that wont be announced til October. It would be nice to have 4G, but I don't know if/when those are coming out for WP7. What do you guys think? Should I get it now? Or wait for something better?

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I got trophy on ebay last month and I love it, I came from a Pre 2. Both are fantastic phones and I still find myself missing things from webOS. If you are going to sign a new contract it couldn't hurt to wait a bit if your current phone isn't useless, but it's a great time to get one off contract on ebay or craigslist. Same goes for a Pre 2 if that's crossed your mind at all.

mozzarella72

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
ehh i could, but i dont wanna waste money off contract. I've had the upgrade for so long, If i buy off contract, what was the point of wasting all that money for a phone im only gonna use for a little while?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I was a long time Palm user. My last Palm phone was a Treo Pro and I was also waiting on the Pre3. Once they cancelled the Pre3, I went looking for a new work phone and ended up getting the Trophy.

As you know, what is the latest and greatest today, isn't the latest and greatest 6 months from now, but the Trophy had pretty good specs with a 1ghz processor.

The only thing I don't like about the win7 mobile OS is that your settings are extremely limited compared to a win6.1 OS, but I think they will add more with Mango.

So far I am happy with the Trophy.

GeorgesBlazah

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Pre- and was waiting for the Pre3, when I heard the cancellation of WebOS hardware I knew the end was near. I still miss some features, but for the most part I am very happy with the Trophy. Speeds on paper aren't the fastest, but the phone/OS is very smooth and mango should make it better.

thawkth

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Outright or don't

Listen, if you use the upgrade you have saved on a Trophy, I believe you will regret it. While it is a wonderful phone, you should spend $200 on ebay with a reputable seller and keep the upgrade.

It's not much more than you would pay with your upgrade, and there will be significantly better WP7 phones in the future. Should one come that's much much better than the trophy, don't you think you'll want to upgrade whenever you want?

Or if Verizon chooses to never carry one again, but you fall in love with Windows Phone? - you haven't renewed a 2 year commitment, so you could jump ship any time.

Not likely to happen, but by signing a 2 year contract you are effectively committing to a previous gen device - albeit a great one - for what might amount to $100-$150 discount.

Just some advice. That said, I expect you will love the phone :)

mozzarella72

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Listen, if you use the upgrade you have saved on a Trophy, I believe you will regret it. While it is a wonderful phone, you should spend $200 on ebay with a reputable seller and keep the upgrade.

It's not much more than you would pay with your upgrade, and there will be significantly better WP7 phones in the future. Should one come that's much much better than the trophy, don't you think you'll want to upgrade whenever you want?

Or if Verizon chooses to never carry one again, but you fall in love with Windows Phone? - you haven't renewed a 2 year commitment, so you could jump ship any time.

Not likely to happen, but by signing a 2 year contract you are effectively committing to a previous gen device - albeit a great one - for what might amount to $100-$150 discount.

Just some advice. That said, I expect you will love the phone :)

Im not gonna waste money on an off contract phone. Im basically deciding between getting the trophy now or sticking with my pre and waiting it out. Like I said, I really like the design of the trophy and the size. Those are two things that are important to me. If the new windows phones are all going to be giants like android, then I know I'd be happy I chose the trophy

thawkth

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
All right, I hope you enjoy whatever you choose for the length of time you choose to have it :)

I've found Windows Phone to be wonderful and frankly will likely jump ship from Android when my upgrade comes in December

mozzarella72

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
what do you think will be significantly bettter about wp7 phones in the future? Im asking because I want to see how much I'll care about these improvements.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
True, do you really think that will make much of a difference though? I mean the OS seemed to run pretty fast as is.

You are correct, the OS does run well on the current set of phones. The dual core will definitely make a difference. All the reviews I have seen on dual core phones find them extremely fast. Here's a few review quotes:

Dual core; phone is extremely responsive and multi-tasks like a breeze

Dual-Core 1GHz processor and 1GB of RAM makes this pretty much the fasted phone on the market to date

Extremely fast. You basically never wait on anything except the network itself.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I just got the Trophy, on contact, for free. I was considering the Pre 2, but was concerned about the future of webOS on phones. I'm still learning the OS and phone. There are some things I miss, but with the Mango update just a few days out, I'm hopeful those gaps will be closed.

The Trophy is very nice. It is a pleasure having a decent size screen that responds well. The on screen keyboard has been easy for me to use. I haven't attempted any homebrew.

Keep in mind, Microsoft is putting their weight behind WP7. There will be lots of improvements coming out.

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
To be honest if I was you I would wait it out. The next gen phones are right around the corner and you will be getting quite a few upgrades. 1.) a Better cpu which is better for the gaming and multi-tasking. 2.) Better displays. This is more directed towards HTC plus there coming with better cameras for HTC as well. 3.) front facing camera's granted a novelty at this point but with skype being integrated at some point its a feature that just might take off. 4.) More choices instead of only 1 option on Verizon There should be a few options. Your decision I just think down the road 6months or so from now you might look back and possibly want to shoot yourself in the foot.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...3.) front facing camera's granted a novelty at this point but with skype being integrated at some point its a feature that just might take off....

I glad you brought this issue up. This is something that the carriers need to integrate. Like you said, Skype will have it at some point, but the carriers need to integrate it. This Spring when my wife and I were in France I got Orange "pay as you go" SIM cards for our phones and the video calling feature worked great through the Orange network.

mozzarella72

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
To be honest if I was you I would wait it out. The next gen phones are right around the corner and you will be getting quite a few upgrades. 1.) a Better cpu which is better for the gaming and multi-tasking. 2.) Better displays. This is more directed towards HTC plus there coming with better cameras for HTC as well. 3.) front facing camera's granted a novelty at this point but with skype being integrated at some point its a feature that just might take off. 4.) More choices instead of only 1 option on Verizon There should be a few options. Your decision I just think down the road 6months or so from now you might look back and possibly want to shoot yourself in the foot.

you make some good points, but in regards to the multitasking thing, doesnt mango freeze apps in the background, so its not true multitasking. Thus it doesn't take up processing power when throwing apps into the background?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
you make some good points, but in regards to the multitasking thing, doesnt mango freeze apps in the background, so its not true multitasking. Thus it doesn't take up processing power when throwing apps into the background?
You're right. The multitasking is iOS style, very limited. You can only do a few types of tasks in the background, like playing audio or downloading files. Other tasks are limited to short execution times in half hour intervals. I wouldn't worry at all about current gen phones struggling with multitasking.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Clow

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
If you have verizon get it..Who knows when vzw will get another wp7, they only get every new anrocrap phone..I mean look how long it took them to get the trophy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb