Should I get the Trophy? Advice appreciated

johaas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't tell you how many times I've had this phone in my online "shopping cart" only to choke at the last minute...really holding out hope that Verizon announces some new Windows phones in the near future, because Android is killing me! My Samsung Fascinate is awful (it's slower than crap, and Samsung clearly doesn't test their software updates), and it's turned me off of Android completely. Of course, I was following the HTC Titan closely and now it's coming to AT&T...great. If nothing is announced by the end of the year I'm just going to go ahead and buy the Trophy; the specs aren't spectacular, but the os is probably optimized to work pretty well with it.

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got me a Trophy over the weekend. I was using a Pre+ for the past year. I really wanted to try out WP7, but did not want to use my upgrade on verizon that I could get as early as december on it. I think my contract runs out in April next year.

So far I'm liking it. Of course with the 1ghz processor, it's faster, much so than my Pre+. Overall, smoother running much so going between functions on the phone and scrolling. I'm not that hung up on the multitasking issue with the Pre. I guess Mango answers some of those issues? The one thing I saw right off that WP7 does not have right now is the ability of different ringtones to different contact numbers in your phone. That of course you could do on the Pre and I did that with certain numbers. I miss that. Again, i've somewhere hopefully that will be a new feature with Mango?

Again, I wanted to try WP7 but not use my upgrade in December so I kept watching and finally got a Trophy on ebay for $245 delivered. Very happy with it thus far. Now, I just have to wait and see over next months if there is any indication that verizon will get more into the WP7 market with more phones to choose from. Even though it was pretty small, I do see alreay I think I prefer a solid keyboard vs touchscreen keying. Just a personnel preference. Somehow I'm not holding my breath I guess on Verizon though they seem so stuck on Android phones with Iphones added in just to be in that market. It was interesting a conversation I had with a rep at a versizon store who felt verizon got the Iphone not so much to make money off of it, but to draw families in with it where Mom or Dad would get it and then entice the other parent and maybe kids with the android phones where Verizon makes more money off of them. May just be a personnel opinion of that one guy, but it kind of made me feel not too confident of them getting very deep into the WP7 market.

If your on verizon though and want to try WP7, just in the short while (3 days) I've used it, I feel it's a really nice phone and worth getting for the sake of trying out WP7.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You can't go with the "wait 6 months" theory. When the six months are up, there will be a couple newer phones and everyone will be saying "just wait a few months til these new ones come out". It will be a continuous cycle. There will always be something newer and better just down the road.

Look at us Pre users. We waited for months for the Pre 3 and will never see it. That could happen with any phone.

mundyb

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that could make you do a head slap any time soon is if VZW announces the Radar later this month. Same basic phone with a uni-body design, bigger battery (non removable), and a front facing camera.

VZW isn't pushing WP7 at all. I had to order Trophies for the wife and me. We love them. I'm running Mango and it's buttery smooth.

Get the Trophy. It's a great phone and who knows when VZW will get another.

cookiemonster21x

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The Trophy really is a great phone & I love mine!!! Only complaint is the battery life, which seems to have gotten a lot better for me since I loaded up Mango (and is still waay better than all the 4G Droid's the VZ reps will try to push on you).

I can't quite place my finger on it as to why I love the trophy, but I just do. It feels great in my hand and I actually find the screen size perfect for me (not too small or too large); I find the design simple and clean, and actually quite rugged (I drop mine like 5 times a week and it looks as good as new).

All that, and being that it is the only WP on Verizon (and likely will be for sometime) I say get it! I don't think you'll be disappointed. I got mine when it first came out and since have managed to get 8 of my friends/family to get it (and counting!) and they all seem to love theirs.

Another major plus (if you travel abroad a lot) is that it?s a World Phone on Verizon and has a SIM Card slot for GSM use abroad (a feature Verizon doesn?t mention as much as it should given how few of its phones have this). Verizon will also unlock the SIM for use after 90 Days from purchase (they just did mine for me a bit early as I'm heading overseas in a few days, so I'll soon get to see how it works?)

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered one off of ebay the other night for $220. I get to try WP7 out and still have my upgrade if/when any new phones come to verizon! From what I have read, I'm not going to be disappointed, especially since i'm coming from a palm pixi+.

teebomus

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I jumped on ship with WP7 from Palm about 2 months ago and love it. If you are used to a Pre Plus then the battery issue will be slightly better than you are used to. There are small issues like accessing the phones settings(wi-fi, bt, etc. ) is a pain and limited customizations but Mango will correct that. I still find myself swiping to try and multitask but it just won't. :)
Mango will improve all of these I think except that from what I have seen nothing multitasks like a WebOs device. That will probably go down as WebOs's shining achievement that so far nobody else can touch. I also miss the touchstone some, but not too much. Zune music, etc, is great. It has most the apps I need. Very fast phone. Overall, really good phone.

Clow

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
You can't go with the "wait 6 months" theory. When the six months are up, there will be a couple newer phones and everyone will be saying "just wait a few months til these new ones come out". It will be a continuous cycle. There will always be something newer and better just down the road.

Look at us Pre users. We waited for months for the Pre 3 and will never see it. That could happen with any phone.

True that brother...here is another reason to get it..http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-trophy/180569.htm now its 50bucks with upgrade

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
$49 > Free

Make sure you are logged into My Verizon. When you browse the phones without being logged in, you see the price "everyone" sees. When you log in, you see "your" prices. I was able to get the phone for free.

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

The tech world changes so fast these days that it's quite correct in saying today, top of the line phone, and then in 6-8 months what you got is past its prime already. I just wish verizon would be competative with what the other carriers have to offer in windows phones. I had in my mind I'd eventually like a 4.3" size screen because I do a lot of viewing of word and excel docs for work via email. I know on my palm it was just about darn near impossible to read them on that little screen. The Trophy though with it's 3.8 is a lot better than what I'd thought it would be like.

It really does feel nice in your hand and in your pocket it still is comfortable having it in there. I guy a work looking at it who has one of the larger droids, commented about the size that he liked it and that his Droid felt bulky carrying it around. Maybe some things are better in small packages?! :)

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It really does feel nice in your hand and in your pocket it still is comfortable having it in there. I guy a work looking at it who has one of the larger droids, commented about the size that he liked it and that his Droid felt bulky carrying it around. Maybe some things are better in small packages?! :)

I agree with this completely. I don't really like the recent trend of phones turning into huge behemoths. I like the feel of the Trophy, I want a phone that fits nicely in my pocket. If it just had a bit nicer screen it'd be perfect. Give me a S-AMOLED, 4.3 inches tops and I'll be completely happy. Make it happen, Verizon!

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone! And thank-you. it seems the majority are happy with the Trophy. I also have been on the fence about getting it, since it is new.
I may take the plunge and buy it on upgrade, I can get it for $70 which to me is a good price. :)

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this completely. I don't really like the recent trend of phones turning into huge behemoths. I like the feel of the Trophy, I want a phone that fits nicely in my pocket. If it just had a bit nicer screen it'd be perfect. Give me a S-AMOLED, 4.3 inches tops and I'll be completely happy. Make it happen, Verizon!

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

I agree, my friend has the Droid X and it looks like a mini laptop hanging off his belt. :D That's what stopped me from upgrading. I don't want or need a huge cumbersome phone, but it seems that is the trend with all the new smartphones.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Two questions I do have about the Trophy. I still like to use Google search and maps over Bing. Would that still be an option? And I read somewhere that you cannot save images someone sends you through email, is that true? Thanks everyone.:)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Two questions I do have about the Trophy. I still like to use Google search and maps over Bing. Would that still be an option? And I read somewhere that you cannot save images someone sends you through email, is that true? Thanks everyone.:)
While not having a Trophy, there is a google search app and a couple of apps that feature google maps. (gMaps, Bingle Maps) should you not wish to use Google via Internet Explorer.

I can download and save pictures fine from an email attachment. :) (Options to use as wallpaper or save to phone)

All WP7 phones operate in the same way, so your Trophy will be no different. :)

Last edited:

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
While not having a Trophy, there is a google search app and a couple of apps that feature google maps. (gMaps, Bingle Maps) should you not wish to use Google via Internet Explorer.

I can download and save pictures fine from an email attachment. :) (Options to use as wallpaper or save to phone)

All WP7 phones operate in the same way, so your Trophy will be no different. :)

Thank-you TheWeeBear, I am that much closer to buying it. :D My other concern is Xbox. Truthfully I am not a gamer, so that app would not be of use to me. I tend to be a bit impulsive with my phone purchasing. So I want to make sure I do my home work this time. I have heard so many positive things about the Trophy and WP7, maybe it is time to venture away from my BB. And try something new. :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes and why not joemd60, you won't be disappointed. I love the XBox so that integration is an added bonus for me, but you don't need to use that side of the phone if you don't want to. :)

WP7 does have a great range of free and paid Xbox Live games too should you decide to try some out so, plenty of choice. :)

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes and why not joemd60, you won't be disappointed. I love the XBox so that integration is an added bonus for me, but you don't need to use that side of the phone if you don't want to. :)

WP7 does have a great range of free and paid Xbox Live games too should you decide to try some out so, plenty of choice. :)

Those were my thoughts to with XBox, I also like the Netflix feature. That would come in handy for the long wait times in the truck at work.:) Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99