07-29-2012 07:27 AM
127 ... 3456
tools
    Anyone actually gotten a hold of this update yet?
    There's a link on how to do it manually for yourself. I followed the instructions and it worked fine for me. I haven't been able to test the data issue, but the auto disappearing kb is fixed.
    01-15-2012 03:44 PM
    Anyone actually gotten a hold of this update yet?
    No, still waiting for it to naturally show up - I'm not one to force things.
    01-16-2012 01:25 PM
    The Trophy update mentioned earlier and 8107 are not the same thing, so I'm pretty sure 8107 is not going to fix the problem. I'm not aware of any way to get the Verizon update since it hasn't been released to anyone as far as I know. We just have to wait for Verizon to give it the all clear.
    01-16-2012 01:57 PM
    The Trophy update mentioned earlier and 8107 are not the same thing, so I'm pretty sure 8107 is not going to fix the problem. I'm not aware of any way to get the Verizon update since it hasn't been released to anyone as far as I know. We just have to wait for Verizon to give it the all clear.
    Correct, The forced 8107 is just the WP7 software, not the radio/firmware. In the update it says that it updates the radio to a new version. The MS update that you force is cross carrier/device, it's just software fixes, not radio.

As I did the manual upgrade process 7720>7740>8107, it fixed a lot of little issues but, still a problem with running connection setup.

Advice.
    1. For now, Use the backup method said a few pages back. Do a full backup before you leave on your trip, this is just incase everything fails. Keep a little note in your wallet/purse for a few contacts that you NEED to call when you first land/get back to the US, just in case.

2. I saw this method on XDA, not sure if it works on every one's case but, here we go. It's worth a shot for some people.

In Celluar, change "Mode Selection" from CDMA to GSM when your leaving the US. Run Connection setup as needed on your trip for your location(with it on GSM), When you RETURN and in CDMA coverage, run connection setup, set for US and Verizon. After that go in and change it from GSM to CDMA. Your 3g will be fine and No problems getting back on CDMA/3G.

It's worth a shot, I have not left the US to try this so, unless someone wants to send me a few tickets to someplace tropical, they'll have to try it on their phones :)
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 01-16-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    01-16-2012 02:46 PM
    Sorry for the cross post - but I wanted the news to get out:

Yes - I just got:
    Firmware revision number: 2305.13.20110.605
    Radio software version: 1.53.00.12.01_23.17w.05.13U
    01-18-2012 09:45 PM
    registered just to post this, but i handle the cell phones where i work, we currently have about 65 trophies on hand. almost all of them travel internationally on a regular basis and this factory reset thing has been driving me nuts. i'm sure it bums the users out too, having to lose all their settings. i've called htc, verizon, etc., they both deny the problem until you push back hard enough. just waiting for the fix to be pushed to our phones. i have one on me now that i wanted to test. it's too bad that i will probably still have to wipe it one more time, i don't think the patch will restore anything, just prevent it from happening again. how something like this gets overlooked on a global phone (the lady on the phone from htc was actually adamant the trophy was not a global phone and warned me that my users should not be using it overseas ) i have no idea.

other than this, the trophy is an awesome phone that integrates seamlessly with our existing microsoft-heavy infrastructure.
    01-19-2012 07:47 PM
    How ironic. For all who anxiously await a fix for this problem, let me share my experience on at&t. I lost data connection on my Samsung Focus S last night... had to call tech support this morning (no phone all night). They had to reset data connection OTA, which apparently happens sometimes... when the phone looks for but can't find a signal. Should not be frequent, they said.

Here's the kicker. Should be rare - EXCEPT if you go overseas, you will lose data when you return. This is normal - we have to reset your data from here.

The ONLY difference between Verizon Trophy and Windows phone on at&t is that *at&t can push OTA reconnect* whereas Verizon cannot. I will find out in 2 weeks... reset may be awaiting me upon return after all. Move to at&t may NOT solve the data connection problem w/ international travel. Only advantage is the wider selection of devices.

Ironic much???
    01-22-2012 09:29 AM
    I just got a notice that HTC had an update for my Trophy and it was the radio update referenced on the Verizon site.
    01-23-2012 06:27 PM
    I got the update notification yesterday when I connected to Zune. Downloaded the updated radio, not sure if there are any other changes. Hopefully this is the fix to our problem but I won't be traveling overseas again until March.
    01-25-2012 08:59 AM
    I got the notice, completed the update. Now we just need someone to take a trip! Anyone that can verify this fixes it please do. When things quiet down a bit here I'll try running the connection setup application just to verify that it no longer destroys the 3G data.
    01-25-2012 09:03 AM
    Well, I just got back from Iceland...
    NO data...

connected to Zune, got notification that I have an HTC update...
    Did the update...

STILL NO DATA....
    I will play around more before doing a hard reset......
    01-25-2012 12:01 PM
    I was overseas operating on GSM (not Verizon's Vodaphone SIM, a T-Mobile one) and got a notice while on WiFi that HTC update was avaialble. I connected to Zune and downloaded and installed it. This is the radio update, not the fix for the keyboard and other issues. I don't have that one installed yet.

Got back and after I landed I switched from GSM to CDMA and restarted the phone and voila, voice and text worked but no data. Tried all the various combos, but still no 3G data. Very dissapointing.

Thought about it and realized I did not have the HTC Connection Setup app installed. I had removed it months ago due to the issues reported with it and Mango. So I connected my phone via WiFi and went to the marketplace to look for this app (I did not see it doing a Zune search, maybe I missed it).

I opened the Connection Setup app and it said I was trying to use Verizon in the United States. I confirmed this and viola for real, 3G came up. No reset of phone or restore from backup. So maybe we have a fix, but it requires the HTC software to be installed (or re-installed)
    PZ+WP7 and thed like this.
    01-25-2012 12:36 PM
    IT WORKED! Thank you trophyuser!
    01-25-2012 12:46 PM
    It's finally fixed? This is really good news for me since I'm going overseas in February. Thanks for the update, everyone!
    01-25-2012 01:10 PM
    It's finally fixed? This is really good news for me since I'm going overseas in February. Thanks for the update, everyone!
    Yeah, looks like it.
    so with the latest HTC update and HTC Connection Setup app... it worked.
    01-25-2012 01:14 PM
    I confirmed that the connection setup app now works as designed as well. About time! Now to move the rest of my company's phones to WP.
    01-26-2012 07:45 AM
    Just personally confirmed that now can get 3G back when returning to the US...

I ran into this problem back in December when coming back from the UK. Had to rebuild my phone which was more of a inconvenience as I had the phone just for a short while, and didn't have much installed on it yet then.

Had to go to the UK again last week. Prior to that applied the update, which updated the radio and also installed the HTC connection setup app.

In some earlier post (don't have the link handy), read the steps to take prior to leaving, and then upon returning to the US. So here's what I've done:

1) In Settings->Cellular changed from CDMA to GSM before leaving the US.
    2) Once overseas ran connection setup for my location (with GSM as cellular selection).
    3) Once back in the US, ran connection setup and manually set for US/Verizon.
    4) Changed Settings->Cellular from GSM to CDMA; at this point didn't have the signal at all, and ran connection setup again, perhaps, didn't need to do step (3).
    5) Got the signal and 3G.

Hope this helps anyone who's going abroad with a Trophy.
    Last edited by SpaceKadet; 02-14-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Fixing typo
    02-14-2012 12:26 PM
    Good to know, now I just to somehow get a trip to Europe scheduled...we planned to go last year, but first born came along and kind of surprised us and obviously changed plans. For year and years and years undoubtedly.
    02-14-2012 09:45 PM
    I realize this is an old thread, so forgive me for resurrecting it.

I am about to leave for a couple weeks for Europe (Germany & Switzerland), and wanted to know how well this phone performs on the GSM networks there? I had contemplated taking my Blackberry since I had heard that a BB does play well with GSM networks, but would really rather have my Trophy.

Anyone, and I know there are a bunch of you, who has used the Trophy in Europe -- while there, did it work as advertised? Did your phone have any problems connecting and staying connected to the networks in Europe?

Just wondering if I should instead take my Trophy over my BB?

Thanks!
    06-20-2012 07:34 AM
    It works just fine. Don't bother with a BB.
    06-21-2012 01:19 PM
    It works just fine. Don't bother with a BB.
    Good to know. I have heard that the antenna on this phone is not as good as some others, so was just curious of that affected things. I know BB's have some of the best reception. This is kind of important as I won't be in or near any large cities, but also in some more remote towns and villages.

Thanks!
    06-21-2012 02:23 PM
    Headed to the UK in a couple weeks with a couple HTC Trophys. I've been reading through this thread with some concern. It "appears" that the GSM->CDMA problem has been resolved, but the version numbers on my phone are inconsistent with what I'm reading here.

I have:

OS Version

Firmware revision number

**Radio software version**
    1.53.00.02.15_23.17w.05.13U

The OS version appears to be correct for the last WinPhone OS version. The firmware version seems to be newer than what I've been reading on threads associated with the GSM->CDMA problem. But here's the real distrubing issue: The radio version appears to be OLDER.

I haven't done any "force updates" or anything else. The updates have only been the ones for which the phone has received announcements.

Does anyone have any insight about the relationship of the radio version to the GSM->CDMA problem. Does anyone have any insight about why some people appear to be reporting newer radio versions?

Thanks!
    07-26-2012 06:08 PM
    Hey world travelers, this will be my first time traveling outside the US where I'm thinking about trying to use my cell phone. As I said above, Verizon HTC Trophy and we're headed to the UK.

I understand the phone needs to be "unlocked" in order to use a UK SIMM. I also understand this is something that Verizon tells you how to do. Am I correct in this understanding?

Anybody have any recommendation on a UK SIMM supplier -- both voice and data. Preferably one I can get before leaving since we may be on the run right away when landing at Heathrow. We'll be on a tour of England, Scotland and Wales (not Ireland).

What is this "HTC Connection Setup" app? It sounds like I'll need it. Is that correct? What task does it perform that apparently the base phone won't do by itself. BTW... I'm nervous about installing it until I better understand my situation as described in my immediately prior posting.

Any other words of wisdom you HTC Trophy world travelers would be so kind to impart upon me?

Thanks!
    07-26-2012 06:34 PM
    Hey, I happen to be in the UK right now with my Trophy, so maybe I can help you out.

First of all, I'm not sure about different version numbers for the radio, but I assume everything should work if you've done the updates for which you were notified. I did the same thing.

Call Verizon before you leave and ask to speak to the "global" department. Tell them that you're going to the UK for about a month or whatever and that you need your SIM unlocked. I had to call three times before I actually got someone who knew what I was talking about. The first two people told me that my phone would just work when I get there, which is completely wrong. When you find the right person, they will send you a text with the SIM unlock code. There is an individual one for every single phone, so if you have more than one Trophy you need more than one code. This code is very important because when you put in a British SIM it will ask you for the code. The good news is that once you enter the code once, your phone is now unlocked forever, allowing you to use it on any network you want that uses a SIM. (Verizon will not tell you this because they aren't really happy about it.)

I would keep HTC Connection Setup installed on your phone. When I put in a prepaid SIM that program automatically opened and configured everything properly. I don't know if its necessary (it may be), but it seemed to help.

I asked around and decided to go with "3" network. 3 sells a SIM that lasts for 30 days with 300 minutes, 3000 texts, and UNLIMITED data. It has been very reliable for me (in the Cambridge area). When you put the SIM in you get a local UK number, so you won't be able to call or text international numbers with that card. You can always use Skype though with the unlimited data.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Trophy and it made my trip so much easier not having to buy a new phone. Good luck!
    07-27-2012 09:26 AM
    Hey, I happen to be in the UK right now with my Trophy, so maybe I can help you out.

First of all, I'm not sure about different version numbers for the radio, but I assume everything should work if you've done the updates for which you were notified. I did the same thing.

Call Verizon before you leave and ask to speak to the "global" department. Tell them that you're going to the UK for about a month or whatever and that you need your SIM unlocked. I had to call three times before I actually got someone who knew what I was talking about. The first two people told me that my phone would just work when I get there, which is completely wrong. When you find the right person, they will send you a text with the SIM unlock code. There is an individual one for every single phone, so if you have more than one Trophy you need more than one code. This code is very important because when you put in a British SIM it will ask you for the code. The good news is that once you enter the code once, your phone is now unlocked forever, allowing you to use it on any network you want that uses a SIM. (Verizon will not tell you this because they aren't really happy about it.)

I would keep HTC Connection Setup installed on your phone. When I put in a prepaid SIM that program automatically opened and configured everything properly. I don't know if its necessary (it may be), but it seemed to help.

I asked around and decided to go with "3" network. 3 sells a SIM that lasts for 30 days with 300 minutes, 3000 texts, and UNLIMITED data. It has been very reliable for me (in the Cambridge area). When you put the SIM in you get a local UK number, so you won't be able to call or text international numbers with that card. You can always use Skype though with the unlimited data.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Trophy and it made my trip so much easier not having to buy a new phone. Good luck!
    Hi Romant56, thank you SO much for the reply. As you can probably guess, everything is a big "unknown" to me until I actually make the trip and see pieces start working (or not).

Your "3" with unlimited data is great feedback. I've heard of "3". I'll see if I can track down a coverage map to make sure have good coverage in Scotland and Wales.

Also thank you for the feedback about maybe needed to keep beating on Verizon until somebody sends the unlock code. Without your feedback, if the first person at Verizon said "your phone doesn't need it" then I might have been inclined to believe them.

I'll have to look into Skype on the phone. I've only toyed with it on the PC, but haven't personally had a strong need to use it before now. I'm assuming that since Skype is Microsoft that using it on the WinPhone works.

If you find this, would you be so kind as to post some info off your phone? Go to Settings > System (tab) > About. Tap the "more info" button. Along with other things, it will show "OS version", "Firmware revision number", and "Radio software version". To save time typing, can you just let me know if any of those three version numbers are different on your phone from the version numbers I listed a couple posts above? I'd just like to make sure that my phone didn't partially skip some portion of an update or something.

Have you previously travelled back from the UK to the US and not had any problems with your data (not voice) service when returning back to the US? THANKS!
    07-27-2012 10:54 AM
127 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD