Trophy 'world phone' has no data service on return to US

aokusman1

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
This is scary because im planning to go to europe is febuary. I only plan on using it for voice calls, and no data plan in europe. I will use data over wifi only. Will using it abroad for only voice calls result in data loss on return to the US?

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
This is scary because im planning to go to europe is febuary. I only plan on using it for voice calls, and no data plan in europe. I will use data over wifi only. Will using it abroad for only voice calls result in data loss on return to the US?

I don't know. I have a trip in Feb as well; In theory, if we turn data OFF *before* leaving the US (Settings...Cellular... Data connection OFF), and leave it off until we are back in the states (not turning DATA on for even a second while out of the US), that seems like it should work the same way as turning it off/ back on without leaving the states in between. I had it on at points in the UK, and it may be something about registering the data connection there that messes up the one here.

Still not a fix --because all features on a global phone should function fully before/during/after international travel-- but it may be a workaround. I plan to try that and see what happens.

I will be interested to hear how things go for you!

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I recently had the very same issue happen to me last week. I traveled to Europe and by when I got back to North American (I had a layover in Toronto) I had lost all data connection. I had to hard reset my phone. This needs to be fixed. If it isn't I might try to use this issue to get out of my Verizon contract since they cannot offer a WP7 phone with global data capabilities. From what I can tell the Trophy is the only CDMA WP7 global capable device so at this time we can't tell if this is a HTC, Verizon, or MS issue.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I recently had the very same issue happen to me last week. I traveled to Europe and by when I got back to North American (I had a layover in Toronto) I had lost all data connection. I had to hard reset my phone. This needs to be fixed. If it isn't I might try to use this issue to get out of my Verizon contract since they cannot offer a WP7 phone with global data capabilities. From what I can tell the Trophy is the only CDMA WP7 global capable device so at this time we can't tell if this is a HTC, Verizon, or MS issue.

My thoughts as well...all of them. Thanks for weighing in!

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, this may take a while to rise to the top of the list of priorities (if it ever does): think about how few Trophies there are out there relative to all the other OS's; then think about the small subset of those that are ever used for international travel. Anyone who wants a WP7 phone on VZW has this one - ostensibly a "world" phone - but many of those will never be used outside the US. Ultimately we are a small subset in any grouping: HTC, MS, and VZW. I suspect there are just too few of us to matter much to any of them - I have limited hopes for any fix, let alone a quick one...

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Called back in today (as requested) to report that the reset process failed. The tech I got transferred to couldn't offer any help beyond having me call *22890 -- which had no effect. The only other thing he could offer was to replace the device, but since it wasn't purchased from Verizon, that wasn't possible. Final outcome: I upgraded to an iPhone 4.

Very disappointing, really, but I guess if I'd purchased the device from Verizon I'd be happier.
Yikes. I can't imagine what could've went wrong that even a hard reset wouldn't fix it. That kind of makes me think it's HTC's fault here.

I guess the best thing to do is run a backup before you travel internationally. There's a tool on XDA that lets you force Zune to create a backup of your phone. But be sure to read through that entire post, it's a "use at your own risk" kind of situation.

[APP] [UPDATED 9/27/2011]V1.9 Working App to Backup Windows Phone 7 via ZUNE ANY TIME - xda-developers

geekwench

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Won't help fix the problem, but may narrow things down

While this won't help any of you (sorry), I have an HTC HD7 on T-Mobile and have no issues with international travel with it. I do typically swap out for a local SIM wherever I travel (T-Mobile will let you unlock your phone for free), but I have also left my US SIM in the phone on occasion while overseas. Switching between Global and CDMA-only has worked perfectly.
I understand that this doesn't fix anything for any of you, but it might at least indicate that this is a Verizon issue rather than an HTC or WP issue, although I suppose that since the trophy is a different model than the HD7, there's still the possibility that it's the device that is the issue.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
While this won't help any of you (sorry), I have an HTC HD7 on T-Mobile and have no issues with international travel with it. I do typically swap out for a local SIM wherever I travel (T-Mobile will let you unlock your phone for free), but I have also left my US SIM in the phone on occasion while overseas. Switching between Global and CDMA-only has worked perfectly.
I understand that this doesn't fix anything for any of you, but it might at least indicate that this is a Verizon issue rather than an HTC or WP issue, although I suppose that since the trophy is a different model than the HD7, there's still the possibility that it's the device that is the issue.

T-Mobile is a GSM wireless carrier. You don't have CDMA on a T-Mobile phone. A GSM phone is a world/global phone.

geekwench

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile is a GSM wireless carrier. You don't have CDMA on a T-Mobile phone. A GSM phone is a world/global phone.
Actually, I have GSM and WCDMA/UMTS on the phone, and as I mentioned, I use multiple carriers because the phone is unlocked and I travel internationally and use local SIMs.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Yikes. I can't imagine what could've went wrong that even a hard reset wouldn't fix it. That kind of makes me think it's HTC's fault here.

I guess the best thing to do is run a backup before you travel internationally. There's a tool on XDA that lets you force Zune to create a backup of your phone. But be sure to read through that entire post, it's a "use at your own risk" kind of situation.

[APP] [UPDATED 9/27/2011]V1.9 Working App to Backup Windows Phone 7 via ZUNE ANY TIME - xda-developers

Thanks for the suggestion. In this case, OP (sigg47) did have a backup. His first hard reset restored his US data connection. He then restored backup, which wiped it out again -- sounds like second data wipeout was fatal - even a hard reset does not help.

For anyone who considers making & then restoring a backup, be warned that restoring the backup may make things worse. This could vary according to the backup method used - I don't know how OP's method compares to the method recommended by previous poster. Just know that it may work; it may may make things worse in the end. Thaks to everyone - every bit of additional information helps a ton!!

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Thanks - more good clues!

fx45guy

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. I have a trip in Feb as well; In theory, if we turn data OFF *before* leaving the US (Settings...Cellular... Data connection OFF), and leave it off until we are back in the states (not turning DATA on for even a second while out of the US), that seems like it should work the same way as turning it off/ back on without leaving the states in between. I had it on at points in the UK, and it may be something about registering the data connection there that messes up the one here.

Still not a fix --because all features on a global phone should function fully before/during/after international travel-- but it may be a workaround. I plan to try that and see what happens.

I will be interested to hear how things go for you!

Won't work. That's what I did last month. I turned the data off on the plane in LA, and then turned it back on when my plane landed in SFO (after coming back from Taiwan through Tokyo).

aokusman1

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Won't work. That's what I did last month. I turned the data off on the plane in LA, and then turned it back on when my plane landed in SFO (after coming back from Taiwan through Tokyo).

Can you be more elaborate? Did you use the phone in while overseas without data, and just voice?

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Wow - that is bizarre. Thanks for the tip... I will narrow my expectations. For global use, it seems this phone is jacked!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Actually, I have GSM and WCDMA/UMTS on the phone, and as I mentioned, I use multiple carriers because the phone is unlocked and I travel internationally and use local SIMs.

You're confusing the terms. WCDMA doesn't mean your GSM T-Mobile phone is also a CDMA phone.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what experiences non-US Trophy owners have had in leaving and returning to their home countries... anyone have this problem in reverse - loss of data connection upon return to non_US area?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what experiences non-US Trophy owners have had in leaving and returning to their home countries... anyone have this problem in reverse - loss of data connection upon return to non_US area?
The Trophy that is sold outside the US is GSM only, so in their case they wouldn't be switching between CDMA and GSM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786