Trophy 'world phone' has no data service on return to US

alvinchen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Just happened to me

Wow. how timely! I JUST got back from a trip to the Caribbean, and this happened to me. My 3G is not working, I have:

1) Pulled the SIM Card out and reseated

2) Dialed *228 and reactivated the phone

3) Dialed *228 and updated roaming

4) Switched from Global Mode to CDMA

5) Switched to Airplane mode, switched off

6) called Verizon Wireless Tech Support

Of course, their first answer was, "Ok, let's do a factory reset of your phone". Seriously? That's the FIRST thing to do? Give me a break.

"Hi, my roof is leaking, and I need my roof fixed." "Ok, let's bulldoze the entire house, and start from scratch."

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, whether it is first, last, or otherwise, factory reset is the only way to restore your US data connection. Most of us in this thread have gone through these steps...which are useless. Whether they know *why* they are right or not, it is the only thing to do - until there is a fix. I know there are better ways that this to be welcomed home, but welcome home from your equally frustrated Trophy compatriots!

trophyuser

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
There is an alternative to a full factory reset. You can plug the phone into your computer and let Zune come up. Go to Phone / Settings (small type on top) / Updates and check for updates. When done you will see an option further down the screen to restore your phone to its last restore point. Most likely, this is the state the phone was in before you upgraded to Mango. After you restore, your 3G should be back but you will then have to check for updates and update to Mango again, as well as update any apps that have been rev'ed since then. But at least your mail and other settings will be preserved.

Unfortunately, there is no way to create a restore point before you go on a trip. Not sure why the ability to back up your phone was not a desired feature.

trophyuser

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Spoke to HTC Level 2 support and learned that:

1. This is a known issue. It happened intermittently on Windows Mobile phones and even some Android phones
  2. The phone latches on to the GSM access point (APN), and then for some reason won't let go even when that access point is not around anymore
  3. It only seems to happen when coming back to a CDMA carrier in the US
  4. It is intermittent - it may only happen when you use certain SIMs or carriers overseas but they don't have enough data to know which ones (help them out by letting them know which one you used)
  5. The control over which access point the phone should use is buried deep in the phone's O/S. In the case of Android, which is open source, HTC has gotten in there to try to fix the issue. In the case of WP7, they cannot - this functionality is at a level only MSFT can modify.
  6. They have regular calls with MSFT to go over issues. The more noise we make, the more they will bring it up with MSFT.
  7. Bottom line per HTC - reset your phone. There is nothing more they can do until MSFT addresses the issue in the WP7 software

I had a thought for anyone going overseas. Try pulling the SIM card and switching back to CDMA before you come back (even if there is no CDMA network available). Maybe that will remove the 'ghost' APN.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Spoke to HTC Level 2 support and learned that:

1. This is a known issue. It happened intermittently on Windows Mobile phones and even some Android phones
  2. The phone latches on to the GSM access point (APN), and then for some reason won't let go even when that access point is not around anymore
  3. It only seems to happen when coming back to a CDMA carrier in the US
  4. It is intermittent - it may only happen when you use certain SIMs or carriers overseas but they don't have enough data to know which ones (help them out by letting them know which one you used)
  5. The control over which access point the phone should use is buried deep in the phone's O/S. In the case of Android, which is open source, HTC has gotten in there to try to fix the issue. In the case of WP7, they cannot - this functionality is at a level only MSFT can modify.
  6. They have regular calls with MSFT to go over issues. The more noise we make, the more they will bring it up with MSFT.
  7. Bottom line per HTC - reset your phone. There is nothing more they can do until MSFT addresses the issue in the WP7 software

I had a thought for anyone going overseas. Try pulling the SIM card and switching back to CDMA before you come back (even if there is no CDMA network available). Maybe that will remove the 'ghost' APN.

Wow. Sounds like the Trophy should never really have been labeled or sold as a "world phone"...since it always has to return to CDMA service.

trophyuser

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure it needs to return to CDMA service. Supposed you returned to the US and put in a SIM for a GSM carrier here. I think it would work . . .

Last edited:

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Are the Europe frequencies for CDMA devices the same for the ones in the US because if they are different than that would definitely cause that problem.

Sent from my FOCUS S using Board Express

dinod

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem

How much info will Zune replace after a hard reset? As much as an iOS device?

- down loaded apps?
- tile placement?
- email, calendar, twitter, FB, ... accounts? (minus passwords?)
- pictures, movies, podcasts?

or nothing

I'll be switching back to my DroidX until I less painfully return the Trophy to the way I have it set up or leave as the WiFi only device it's been for the past few weeks
I guess this sadly answers my question:http://m.windowscentral.com/phone-backups-coming-next-version-windows-phone

Last edited:

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Are the Europe frequencies for CDMA devices the same for the ones in the US because if they are different than that would definitely cause that problem.

Europe uses GSM Not CDMA. The phone doesnt require a SIM Card in US but to use GSM then it does.

So frequency has nothing to do with the problem.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've seen this thread for a while now and have ignored it since I didn't have a Trophy and I'm not a globetrotter. However, I saw that this thread is now over 90 replies. That is RIDICULOUS! How is this still a relevant problem 90 posts later? This should be brought to MS, HTC, and Verizon's attention.

trophyuser

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I would just like to reiterate that this will probably get solved faster the more noise we make about it. So if you have this issue, please call HTC support at 1-866-449-8358 and also open an incident via HTC's web site: HTC Mobile Phones - Product Support - Smartphones Help. Thanks

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
As many of you here already know, I recently switched to Windows phone on at&t for their choice of devices and GSM compatibility with the rest of the world. I need the global capability (including ability to return to US) but Verizon has only the Trophy. No other options.

I received a call from Verizon, asking why I chose to leave. I explained this problem in great detail -- feel bad for the retention person who called me, as she listened patiently while I recounted the evolution of this problem and the things we have: 1) tried to do; and 2) learned about its etiology.

I gave her the URL for this thread... told her there were 93 postings and nearly 2,500 thread views. She was very interested in understanding what I loved about Windows Phone, so I described that as well.

Reset may seem like no big deal, but it is: Landing in the US with multi-hour layover and communication that needs to take place during that time... it is a non-starter to reset the phone and thereby LOSE all the contact information and material needed for such communication: the choice is to be stuck with information yet no data connection (result: no communication) or data connection (restored from hard reset) yet no information (result: no communication). Multiply this by multiple trips... I know every one here knows this.

The rep who called me was prepared to do her job to get me back - this problem understandably threw her for a loop. Knowing that the retention people are probably rather far removed from service/tech, this may be one more data point. I am hopeful that somehow this thread gets into the right hands or the dots connect somewhere. Eventually, one more data point will do the trick... if just may not be this one!

I was happy with Verizon for more than 10 years - from my first cell phone onward. With another Windows Phone, I would consider going back!

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Rocket_Girl, was your contract up with Verizon when you switched? I would be interested in hearing if anyone has attempted to get out of their contract with Verizon due to this issue. Verizon markets the phone as a world phone. If you signed up with Verizon (or resigned with them) based on this fact then you should be able to argue that they are unable to provide the service that they sold you. Since they have no other WP7 device capable of providing service overseas you should be able to jump ship. I haven't gotten to that point yet but may in the future as it looks like this issue isn't going to be solved.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Rocket_Girl, was your contract up with Verizon when you switched? I would be interested in hearing if anyone has attempted to get out of their contract with Verizon due to this issue. Verizon markets the phone as a world phone. If you signed up with Verizon (or resigned with them) based on this fact then you should be able to argue that they are unable to provide the service that they sold you. Since they have no other WP7 device capable of providing service overseas you should be able to jump ship. I haven't gotten to that point yet but may in the future as it looks like this issue isn't going to be solved.

Braindoc- I was still under contract. I agree- termination should be legit on the grounds you describe. May not be popular, but should be legit. Evidence is already quite solid...and still building. Until now, I was very happy with VZW; not eager to cross over to at&t. Will let you know how I fare!

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd decided to not wait for Verizon and installed 8107 update on phone.

Installed without a problem but havent had a chance to testing on return to US after using GSM network. Will probably test this out in the next two weeks.

After installing update - everything appears to work as expected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb