new windows phone for verizon????

johaas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Mercy, you've been waiting since April? It certainly would be a shame to break now. I admire your determination...hopefully (for both our sakes) Verizon rewards your patience sooner rather than later.

Keep fighting the good fight :)

urville

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Trophy Woes

The trophy is ok, and maybe the specs with what 7 is arent bad, but are they 2 years away not bad? Thats how long it has to last. I like to use the crap out of my phone. I've been on Windows systems my whole life, if this follows suit even 1/4 of the history then specs will be important for longevity. Thats the model of the computing business, big or small, no matter how good it seems. At the end of the day no ones killing thier own interests. Apple, MS, Goog... none of them are Encom, theres no Flynn... so I'll wait, just a little longer so at 12-15 months I'm not dying for a phone that will work till I hit my upgrade at 20 as the main account. just my nickel

silentbob343

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I finally bit the bullet and got a Trophy. Couldn't deal with my OG Droid any longer, no matter how many custom ROMs I tried. I went through amazon wireless and got it for $50, I looked on craigslist and ebay, but I wasn't willing to pay more than $150 off contract and most were going for $200+.

Any idea which screen protectors from Steinheil will work with it? They don't make a specific protector for the Trophy, but I have to believe one of the protectors for another HTC model will work. Hopefully they make protectors for the Radar.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Just buy a universal protector or one from a bigger phone, and cut it to fit. I saved the original packaging protector and traced that to cut mine.

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
New on the WPCENTRAL forums here, and I had to reply to this thread since I've been pondering this since watching numerous TITAN review videos...

I've had EVERY phone. Every OS.

NONE has come CLOSE to WP7. It's truly unreal. My girlfriend is constantly using my phone (she has an iPhone 4), and says how much she likes it. The ease of navigation, smooth and beautiful OS, and integration make the Trophy and WP7 so unreal.

Sure, the Trophy isn't CREAM OF THE CROP in terms of specs (internal/external), but like the OP said above -- it's just a SOLID DEVICE. I'm pondering whether or not the Lumia or Titan-like device will be next on VZW -- if it is? I'm buying. Full retail.

That 4.7" screen is BEYOND TEMPTING for me (being a 6'2'' guy with big hands). I've always been a big screen kind of guy, but the Trophy has been BEYOND satisfactory for me since I got it in September. I absolutely love this OS and device -- I'm DEFINITELY a WP7 convert! I tried to use my old iPhone 4 for WiFi...it made me WINCE. The OS is so COOKIE-CUTTER (along with Android) -- icons, scrolling, and icons along a dock on the bottom. Annoying, and overused...

HERE'S TO A TITAN ON VZW!

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
It's because Verizon is clueless about the Trophy and has probably never recommended it to a single customer anywhere. Plus most people are not willing to try something different.

I've been to a number of Verizon Wireless stores (not premium retailers, but actual Verizon-owned stores) in the DC area, and when I look at smartphones and mention the HTC Trophy when employees ask me if I have any questions, most of them sort of gloss over the Trophy (acting in a way that says "oh yeah, we have that too"). Three weeks ago (right after the iPhone 4s came out) I was at a store on the east side of the DC Beltway and somebody was asking an employee about world phones. The employee mentioned the 4s, various Android phones, and the recent Blackberry Bold and Torch models, but didn't mention the Trophy, even though it was sitting right there in front of the customer. I piped up and mentioned the Trophy was a world phone too.

There has been one exception I've experienced to the tepid attitude by Verizon Wireless store employees towards Windows Phones; a couple weeks ago I was at the store in Bethesda (just northwest of DC in Maryland) and was talking with a clearly knowledgeable employee about both FiOS and smartphones. When I mentioned I was thinking about getting a second phone and mentioned my interest in Windows Phone, he perked up and started talking about how good his Trophy was. I mentioned how I'd read that Windows Phones pretty much never have problems and rarely need rebooting and he said he's NEVER had to reboot his Trophy. Basically he was a big WP fan, despite working at Verizon Wireless; he said that he thinks Microsoft WP will become the #2 player in the market (behind Google Android but ahead of Apple iOS) by 2015.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been to a number of Verizon Wireless stores (not premium retailers, but actual Verizon-owned stores) in the DC area, and when I look at smartphones and mention the HTC Trophy when employees ask me if I have any questions, most of them sort of gloss over the Trophy (acting in a way that says "oh yeah, we have that too"). Three weeks ago (right after the iPhone 4s came out) I was at a store on the east side of the DC Beltway and somebody was asking an employee about world phones. The employee mentioned the 4s, various Android phones, and the recent Blackberry Bold and Torch models, but didn't mention the Trophy, even though it was sitting right there in front of the customer. I piped up and mentioned the Trophy was a world phone too.

There has been one exception I've experienced to the tepid attitude by Verizon Wireless store employees towards Windows Phones; a couple weeks ago I was at the store in Bethesda (just northwest of DC in Maryland) and was talking with a clearly knowledgeable employee about both FiOS and smartphones. When I mentioned I was thinking about getting a second phone and mentioned my interest in Windows Phone, he perked up and started talking about how good his Trophy was. I mentioned how I'd read that Windows Phones pretty much never have problems and rarely need rebooting and he said he's NEVER had to reboot his Trophy. Basically he was a big WP fan, despite working at Verizon Wireless; he said that he thinks Microsoft WP will become the #2 player in the market (behind Google Android but ahead of Apple iOS) by 2015.

That's the Verizon store I go to as well. I bought the first Trophy they sold there. The salesperson got a free t-shirt, free xbox game, etc., for being the first WP7 sale. They even had a rep from MS there that weekend to support the sales staff. I posted my experience here.

silentbob343

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, holding the Trophy side-by-side to the Radar and the Radar screen protectors should work. I just can't find any of those either as the Radar is too new.

silentbob343

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Ah i see, sorry about that silentbob343. Hope you get one soon. :)

Found them today and they are a good fit, a little on the small side, but they'll work. They don't have the best feel to them when applied to the screen, i.e. they create a bit of friction compared to nicer screen protectors.

Really hoping steinheil comes out with some protectors for the Radar. I also purchased some trophy protectors off amazon by "nu-clear" I'll post my impressions in a few days.

Zagg makes a complete protector for the Radar for $30, but the T-mobile protectors were half the price and I just needed something till a better screen protector option is available.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm still holding out. The Trophy is a very good device. I had one pre-Mango but had to revert back to my BlackBerry due to its lack of multiple Google calendar support. I did get my wife on the Trophy though and she LOVES it compared to her old Android HTC Incredible. Now that Mango allows that, if only through a backdoor, it's a good fit for me but I feel the second gen devices on Verizon are right around the corner. I've been holding out since April, when my contract expired, to see what Apple, Android, and most of all, Mango, brought. I still prefer WP7.5 but I want my next phone to have the bump up in hardware since it's so close.

Still, another bump down to $49 on the Trophy and we'll see if my willpower holds....

The Trophy is usually available for $.01 on Amazon Wireless. w/2yr contract, of course.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
The Trophy is usually available for $.01 on Amazon Wireless. w/2yr contract, of course.

Only for new users on a personal account. I'm a upgrade customer (that goes to $49.99) and then because I buy my phone but my company plays for my service, I can't use Amazon at all. But I'm still holding out...

johaas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Rumor is that the Nokia Lumia 900 will be coming to Verizon when tango comes out in a few months. But that's just the rumor
It would be a serious misstep if Nokia didn't do everything within their power to get their upcoming US phone(s) on Verizon's network. An AT&T variant is probably a given (they welcome any and all Windows Phones it seems), but making a big splash on Verizon would be huge...maybe I'm just saying that because I'll be the first in line, lol.

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
It's because Verizon is clueless about the Trophy and has probably never recommended it to a single customer anywhere. Plus most people are not willing to try something different.

Don't call us all clueless. I've done more than my share of promoting it. When customers have a certain brand and/or model in their heads, it's hard to promote anything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb