new windows phone for verizon????

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
So anyone know if verizon is getting any new wp's? At&t seems to be getting everything while verizon hasn't said anything about getting anything. I really love my trophy but everytime I see anything about the titan, focus s, or even the nokia I just want something new. I know everyone talks about not using ffc's but I have friends that have phones with them and I know I'll use it. Plus I've wanted a huge screen phone since the hd2 but have never been able to get my hands on one. Mainly my never wanting to touch a android phone, but also cause I'm on verizon. I know the nokia's not a 4"+ phone but still it has all those cool nokia apps. I'm so ready to switch to at&t. I won't just cause I'm on a verizon unlimted plan and everyone I know is on verizon plus at&t coverage isn't the best where I live. But still the titan is calling and I don't know if I can resist

johaas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm with ya, it's tough waiting for Verizon to pick up another Windows Phone. Currently I am trapped in the nightmare that is Android, but know that if I upgrade to the Trophy, Verizon is going to announce shortly thereafter that the Lumia 800 is coming. Switching over to AT&T would be nice, but I still have unlimited data from Verizon as long as I don't leave.

glamdring

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean, by time we got the Trophy the similar UK version had already been out for a long time. For the price/coverage I'm getting with unlimited data WP will be the one to go rather than VZ if no devices appear next year.

New device better have LTE, I get LTE where I live and want my fast data speeds :)

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat and bought a like new Trophy on Ebay for around 225.00 that did not require a contract extension and have not regretted it one bit. The Trophy is faster than all the dual core Android phones I have used. If something better comes along, I will sell the Trophy and not lose a whole lot.

I'm with ya, it's tough waiting for Verizon to pick up another Windows Phone. Currently I am trapped in the nightmare that is Android, but know that if I upgrade to the Trophy, Verizon is going to announce shortly thereafter that the Lumia 800 is coming. Switching over to AT&T would be nice, but I still have unlimited data from Verizon as long as I don't leave.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat and bought a like new Trophy on Ebay for around 225.00 that did not require a contract extension and have not regretted it one bit. The Trophy is faster than all the dual core Android phones I have used. If something better comes along, I will sell the Trophy and not lose a whole lot.

My Trophy matches my room mates Evo 3D when both are on the same wifi. I haven't figured out the lack of enthusiasm for this phone.

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
It's because Verizon is clueless about the Trophy and has probably never recommended it to a single customer anywhere. Plus most people are not willing to try something different.

My Trophy matches my room mates Evo 3D when both are on the same wifi. I haven't figured out the lack of enthusiasm for this phone.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I'm perfectly happy to keep it for the next two years. I just hope there is a suitable replacement at that time. I plan to keep with windows phone, and I am assuming my fiancee is the same way. She is enjoying it even more than I am (I think facebook integration is the reason why).

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It's because Verizon is clueless about the Trophy and has probably never recommended it to a single customer anywhere. Plus most people are not willing to try something different.

I was actually referring to the lack of enthusiasm on this site. I think I've heard more knocks on the Trophy than any other Windows Phone.

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... ok... my suggestion is to look on Ebay and craigslist, maybe find one that someone is selling cheap.
The reason I say that is this, Nokia is coming. LOL, ok let me explain...
1. Verizon Reps/Execs were spotted in significant numbers at Nokia World.
2. Nokia CEO Stephen Elop stated "We will be launching a portfolio of devices in the US, including CDMA and LTE, in early 2012."
3. Months ago there were rumors that VZW was working with Nokia on phones for VZW.
4. A couple of months ago, Nokia stated that Nokia USA was working on designs targeted at the US market.

The 800 may never even make it to the US. I don't know that I would expect to see a +4" Nokia, Nokia exec Kevin Shields said in an interview that Nokia feels that the sweet spot, for alot of reasons, is in the 3.5-4" range, mainly hand feel for the widest range of hand sizes. That being said, they may go ahead and do something like that for the US market. The 800 is targeted at the European market, and was really a rush job to get a phone ready for NW and launch.

Some positives to take away:
1. The 800 is a mid-range device. They still have yet to announce a 900 series device. (Nokia WP7 model number convention: 700 series=Entry level, 800 Series=Midrange, 900 series=Premium)
2. The Nokia US launch announcement, I would expect to happen at or around CES in January.
3. Nokia is coming to play and playing to win. They want and NEED the US market and are completely revamping their business model in the US to jive with how we do cell phones. They are in talks and working with all 4 carriers.
4. I keep coming back to this, but we have not seen a 900 series announced yet. I have some ideas about what a 900 series might entail, such things as the camera from the N8 (12MP Carl Ziess with a mechanical shutter), NFC installed (waiting for NFC support, or maybe even having early NFC support from MS), FFC, maybe even the same unibody polycarb style body from the 800. (All this is speculation on my part) The rumored 900 that was going around had it as a 4.3" with 1Gb in a 16GB and 32GB flavors.

The key is to be patient at this point, while the Titan has a massive screen, its still HTC and as such has an LCD screen, Super LCD I realize, but still LCD. (not a fan at all) I have the Trophy and while it is a reasonable phone, I am not overly impressed with anything hardware wise. Love the OS, the hardware is meh.. nothing special, nothing to make me desire another HTC in the future.

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

I think you hit on something that doesn't get nearly enough attention. MS did an amazing job with the platform. WP7 doesn't need dual cores because it does a great job of spreading the workload between the cpu and gpu. All those years of Direct X development on the PC paid off with WP7. Sure it doesn't have the benchmark numbers that devices with higher clocks or more cores have, but I find that I'm waiting for data from a site (response time, not download speed) more than I am waiting for things to render.

IMHO the Trophy doesn't get credit because it's not as big as the HD7, doesn't have the mostly useless speakers of the Surround, the fancey amoled screen of the Focus or a slideout keyboard. It's just a really solid, pretty thin device that you can easily swap batteries on.

If Verizon had bitten the bullet and included a 32GB microSDHC right out of the box, it would have gotten a LOT more attention.

If we can't get to the card in the Nokia and bump it up to 32, I'll just stick with my Trophy. Well unless we get a Titan on vzw. :) The big screen is sooo tempting.

johaas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
hardrock1a - I like your optimism! It's just nice to hear that Verizon is taking notice of WP7 now...hopefully something comes out of that and that January announcement rings true. Oddly enough, my Fascinate has been cooperating with me since I threatened to throw it out the window - that makes waiting easier to tolerate. :)

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You guys are making it hard on me. Should i get a trophy on contract or wait? Really need a phone asap and early 2012 could be march...who knows.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Trophy on contract and I am very happy with my choice. It also depends upon what you want in a phone.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm still holding out. The Trophy is a very good device. I had one pre-Mango but had to revert back to my BlackBerry due to its lack of multiple Google calendar support. I did get my wife on the Trophy though and she LOVES it compared to her old Android HTC Incredible. Now that Mango allows that, if only through a backdoor, it's a good fit for me but I feel the second gen devices on Verizon are right around the corner. I've been holding out since April, when my contract expired, to see what Apple, Android, and most of all, Mango, brought. I still prefer WP7.5 but I want my next phone to have the bump up in hardware since it's so close.

Still, another bump down to $49 on the Trophy and we'll see if my willpower holds....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire