How much Data does streaming music from slacker etc use

ericreinhardt

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi just wondering does streaming apps like slacker radio etc use alot of data. I mean I have verizons unlimited but I know they slow down speed if you get into top 5 percent which I dont want. Also want to say this new wpcentral mobile site and forums are awesome. Good Job!!!!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I tried a little experiment a while back and Last FM (Streaming) for me used just under 600 MB in an hour. (According to my provider online data use indicator)

I have unlimited data so it doesn't effect me but was just curious what it used.

Slacker may be a different bitrate from Last FM, i have no idea as it's not available in the UK.

Seems a lot to me for an hours worth of streaming but there you go, that's what it said.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
That sounds about right. Used to get similar results with Resco Radio.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I tried a little experiment a while back and Last FM (Streaming) for me used just under 600 MB in an hour. (According to my provider online data use indicator)...

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought it was that much, so:

2 hours would mean 1.2GB of data

3 hours would mean 1.8GB of data

4 hours would mean 2.4GB of data

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

I know, my 2 highests data use peaks so far are 14 GB and 44 GB LOL

Wonder if i could ever beat my 44 GB one, I must try harder palandri. :)

The transatlantic data cable is progressing well by the way palandri, it's at 4 feet now.

Just a wee bit more to go. :)

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

And this is why all the talk of iCloud and Skydrive and Pandora and Slacker and Spotify and Zune Pass don't mean a thing to me. I have Verizon with 5GB a month grandfathered in, but it doesn't take much music to eat that up. Add in a movie and it's over. True 4G networks will drive the desire for more bandwidth usage and once the bills start rolling in, people will be outraged by the costs.

The dissatisfaction with the bandwidth limits and overage charges will make people want to store media on their phones locally and WP, with limited and fixed storage, will hurt them, especially the 8GB phones.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
And this is why all the talk of iCloud and Skydrive and Pandora and Slacker and Spotify and Zune Pass don't mean a thing to me. I have Verizon with 5GB a month grandfathered in, but it doesn't take much music to eat that up. Add in a movie and it's over. True 4G networks will drive the desire for more bandwidth usage and once the bills start rolling in, people will be outraged by the costs.

The dissatisfaction with the bandwidth limits and overage charges will make people want to store media on their phones locally and WP, with limited and fixed storage, will hurt them, especially the 8GB phones.

I think you're right. We pay a very high price for wireless service in the U.S. Maybe WeeBear will post his monthly wireless charge again. It's like $38,00 usd a month and has unlimited data.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Normal price is ?25 ($38.00) per month, I pay less with a loyalty bonus. (I pay ?15)

For the ?25 you get 5000 same network minutes, 2000 any network or landline minutes and 5000 texts

This also comes with truly unlimited data. (No caps or fair usage policy or throttling)

It's scary hearing about the US tariffs you mentioned previously palandri, Yikes!

Oh i forgot to mention tethering is allowed too, it's also included. :)

The Blurb.

http://www.store-3.co.uk/3-the-one-plan.html?id=01A800000007&gclid=CL24zoTv16wCFVBTfAodYnOQNA

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Normal price is ?25 ($38.00) per month, I pay less with a loyalty bonus. (I pay ?15)

For the ?25 you get 5000 same network minutes, 2000 any network or landline minutes and 5000 texts

This also comes with truly unlimited data. (No caps or fair usage policy or throttling)

It's scary hearing about the US tariffs you mentioned previously palandri, Yikes!

Oh i forgot to mention tethering is allowed too, it's also included. :)

The Blurb.

The One Plan from 3 Mobile

Thanks for posting that again, If word of this ever gets out in the states, it will cause people to occupy their wireless carrier. :D

On a serious note, I think is just basic Keynesian economics in play. When demand is high the price goes up, when demand is low the price goes down. I would guess it is just high demand in the U.S, keeping the price high.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well the other networks here, Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile etc have similar priced plans but they have rediculous data limits and 3 are leading the way with their data plan.

Loads of course are jumping ship and now 3 are the fastest growing UK network.

3 UK

Good on them I say. :)

It isn't all good news of course, they have a stinky old Nokia Lumia 800 and no Titan! Pah! :(

But that means when i buy my Titan i will still be able to use my upgrade for that lovely new Nokia Ace that they will have in the new year right ? LOL :)

FreightMover

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Big Brother Is Controlling Us

The only reason why United States cell phone carriers are charging more for data usage is because the government(FCC) has set all sorts of regulations in place that are financially killing the major cell phone service carriers. To call or text is free, but 2 GB of data cost 30$ monthly. If you accidentally use 2.1 GB some companies will charge you an additional 30$ for 2 more GB, which is the lowest, and most common unit they sell data in. It is really a shame. I accidentally used 2.02 GB of data on the last day of my billing cycle at around 10 P.M.. The cycle would have reset at 12: A.M., allowing me 2 more GB. I still had to pay for the entire 2 GB. It is all because government (FCC) controls and regulations.

Robert Ortega

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
think you Meant to say 60 MB per hour. According to the Verizon data calculator:

How much data is it for Smartphones?
Email (text only) = 10 KB
Web Access (internet and Intranet) = 400 KB
Audio Streaming = 60 MB/hr
Audio Track Download (3 1/2 min at 192 kbps = 7MB
3G Video Streaming = 250 MB/hr
3G Verizon Video & NFL Mobile Streaming = 125 MB/hr
4G Video Streaming = 350 MB/hr
Digital Photo download/upload (Hi-Res) = 3 MB
Navigation Turn by Turn Directions*** = 5 MB/hr
1 MB = 1,024 KB
1 GB = 1,024 MB