Wi-fi Tether on Verizon?

rimberries

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm on Verizon and I'm eligible for an upgrade to replace my dying Blackberry. One of the requirements for my new phone is that it have hotspot/wifi tether functionality. I presume the Trophy was updated with Mango? And with the update is there now wifi tether? Thanks.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The Trophy has Mango but Mango doesn't bring tethering by default. There is an additional driver update that is needed to enable tethering. Unfortunately this update is being released if and when the carrier decides to release it. Right now none of the US carriers have released it, so currently you can't tether.

Here's hoping that Verizon releases it soon. But if it's a necessity for you then you'll have to look elsewhere for now. :(

rimberries

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks thed. I was hoping for better news. I do a lot of Linux kernel development but I'm just not keen on moving over to an Android phone which many of them do offer the hotspot/wifi tether feature. WP7 is really a pleasure to use. Blackberry supposedly will offer it in their 7.1 release but that again will be up to Verizon. Hmmm...what to do...

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks thed. I was hoping for better news. I do a lot of Linux kernel development but I'm just not keen on moving over to an Android phone which many of them do offer the hotspot/wifi tether feature. WP7 is really a pleasure to use. Blackberry supposedly will offer it in their 7.1 release but that again will be up to Verizon. Hmmm...what to do...

look for a Palm Pre+ or Pixi+. They both have wifi and provided you are on the old unlimited plan, you will have "unlimited" tethering. If you can find one on ebay, get one off contract for cheap.

My wife and I have one of each. I only use the Pre+ when I'm camping or need to use my tablet away from civilization. Otherwise, I use my Trophy, in hopes that tethering eventually comes to us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720