hi all, new to WP and new to WPC. let me give you some background on myself. i work for VZW and have been there for 5 years now. in the past 5 years ive had the bb curve, bb tour, original moto droid, htc droid incredibe, moto droid x, samsung fascinate and now i have the iphone 4 and have had that phone nearly a year now.

ive also had the bb bold (1st and 2nd gen) and currently the galaxy nexus as my work phone.

ive come to realize more or less i hate android phones. they all end up having the same problems after about 6 months. not only that, the phones are all the same. OEMs are resorting to "gimmick" marketing ploys to try to sell their phones.

ive had my iphone 4 for 11 months now and i am very happy with the phone, it does everything for me.

that being said, im bored with my phones. ive never tried a WM or WP device mainly because having to sell the older windows based phones (samsung i760, samsung omnia, omnia II, etc.) left a bad taste in my mouth. however i am definitely open to trying something new. spending $30 on an upgrade isnt a big deal to me, i can upgrade every 10 months.

so, i ask of you to help me decide as to whether or not i should venture into the world of WP.

and just as an FYI, i have a macbook pro. i dont know if that'll make any sort of difference.

thank you all for your time =)
    02-02-2012 03:02 AM
    I thoroughly enjoy my trophy. I play with my wife's iPhone 4 some and while it does some things the trophy doesn't, I prefer the windows phone. For most people I wouldn't recommend using an upgrade to get a trophy since they are relatively inexpensive on eBay, but if you can upgrade every ten months it might be ok.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express
    02-02-2012 09:00 AM
    The Trophy is a great phone to get your WP feet wet. And as you can upgrade in about December, if you chose to stick with WP, you would only be a few months behind the latest and greatest (assuming Verizon adds a WP to their lineup by June).

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    02-02-2012 09:38 AM
    of course we're going to tell you to get it, we're biased :D. Get a Trophy off ebay and try it. I think I have swayed a co-worker into changing from iOS to WP7. I think he liked what he saw.
    palandri likes this.
    02-02-2012 12:31 PM
    will the phone work with my macbook pro as far as updates and what not are concerned?
    02-02-2012 01:06 PM
    will the phone work with my macbook pro as far as updates and what not are concerned?
    Updates will work fine. However, Zune for the Mac doesn't support music subscription.
    02-02-2012 03:04 PM
    where were you able to find zune for mac? i was looking on the zune s/w webpage and only found the windows version.
    02-02-2012 03:08 PM
    where were you able to find zune for mac? i was looking on the zune s/w webpage and only found the windows version.
    It's called the Windows Phone Connector for Mac:

Windows Phone 7 & Mac | Mac Sync Software | Sync Files | Windows Phone 7
    02-02-2012 03:17 PM
    Try it, you'll LOVE it!
    02-02-2012 03:25 PM
    It's called the Windows Phone Connector for Mac:

Windows Phone 7 & Mac | Mac Sync Software | Sync Files | Windows Phone 7
    cool thanks! i got it downloaded and installed already.
    02-02-2012 03:39 PM
    Try it, you'll LOVE it!
    care to elaborate as to why? lol
    02-02-2012 03:40 PM
    Hey, Slasha!

I'm pretty new to WP7 too, but I've been following the OS since launch. I have the Trophy, bought it on eBay about a month and a half ago. Although I am currently using it on WiFi (still have my BB S2 for BBM, and my family, The Technophobes...perhaps you've heard of them...), I love it. While not considered a premium device even last year, it's the OS that makes it shine. It really is smooth, fast, and no lock ups. The apps are there, and those that aren't, are being worked on. IE9, the PeopleHub, and honestly, the list goes on and on. This is obviously my take on the device, and everyone's needs are different, but given a chance, I think you'll like WP7 even if it turns out not to be the Os for you.
    02-02-2012 04:32 PM
    i went ahead and bought the phone a few minutes ago. only cost me $30+ taxes and i have 14 days to try it out. if it doesnt work out for me, then ill just return it, no big deal and wait until we (vzw) gets a better WP phone.
    02-02-2012 05:44 PM
    i went ahead and bought the phone a few minutes ago. only cost me $30+ taxes and i have 14 days to try it out. if it doesnt work out for me, then ill just return it, no big deal and wait until we (vzw) gets a better WP phone.
    Nice! Let us know how it's treating you. I love mine.
    02-02-2012 06:11 PM
    Nice! Let us know how it's treating you. I love mine.
    i will. it should be here tomorrow.
    02-02-2012 06:50 PM
    I'm personally anal about keeping the products I've bought unless they are defective, but IMO you should keep the Trophy regardless whether you like it more than the iPhone 4 or not. If you like it, obviously you're in a great spot and can always swap in the iPhone 4 if you want a change of pace in the next 10 months. If you prefer the iPhone 4 but still like the Trophy (i.e. you don't hate the Trophy), it only cost you $30 to get a backup smartphone and you can switch between the iPhone 4 and Trophy if you want in the future. Furthermore, I personally think Apple won't release the iPhone 5 until October 2012 (I think they will permanently go to this cycle, for various reasons), and the Windows Phone Apollo update probably won't be available until late Q3 2012 or Q4 2012, so you won't have to wait long to get one of those devices or another high-end, pre-Christmas 2012 device when you become upgrade eligible again in (I assume) December.

Personally, I think if you are very big on apps, you'll probably prefer the iPhone (though Windows Phone has good alternative apps in many cases, if the same app isn't available on both platforms). If are more interested in having a user-friendly interface, I think you'll probably prefer the Trophy (though the iPhone's UI is plenty functional, even if IMO doesn't have the depth of functionality that WP OS has).

P.S. It's interesting to me that a Verizon employee would say he/she hates Android OS smartphones, mainly because Verizon promotes them so much and the only 4G LTE devices on Verizon (as of early February 2012) are Android smartphones.
    02-03-2012 10:24 PM
    i hate android phones because after 6 months they all become the same problem infested devices. a good 90% of the traffic that comes into the store on any given day having a problem with their phone is probably an an droid device.

that being said, the phone came today. its charging right now :3
    02-04-2012 12:34 AM
    so I activated it and got it setup. I've also updated it to the latest software version. So far so good. We'll see how the battery holds up tomorrow, that's a big deal for me
    02-04-2012 03:12 AM
    so I activated it and got it setup. I've also updated it to the latest software version. So far so good. We'll see how the battery holds up tomorrow, that's a big deal for me
    The battery is a little small on the Trophy, and IMO it has a weak antenna (which almost definitely is a HTC hardware issue rather than a Windows Phone OS issue). Generally speaking, with light to moderate usage I get about a day (i.e. around 24 hours) on a charge. I'll note I live and work in large, multi-story buildings located in a large metropolitan area and my work location has about 5,000 workers, some of whom have employer-provided Verizon smartphones (Blackberry); this combination of factors frequently drops me to 1X data (and lower battery life) at work.

BTW, I think I've probably had fewer problems with my Android OS device than most people, but I'm not surprised to hear about the tech issues. The are 4 people in my sub-office (of 12 people!) that have or had a Droid 2. One of them has already had to replace hers, while another co-worker has longer lag on his device than I do.
    02-04-2012 07:16 AM
    yea, the droid 2 is by far one of the worst ones
    02-04-2012 03:08 PM
    The Trophy definitely has a weaker antenna. That's my only real complaint about the phone. My previous phone was a Motorola droid and it did much better in the reception department.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express
    02-04-2012 03:24 PM
    hi all, new to WP and new to WPC. let me give you some background on myself. i work for VZW and have been there for 5 years now. in the past 5 years ive had the bb curve, bb tour, original moto droid, htc droid incredibe, moto droid x, samsung fascinate and now i have the iphone 4 and have had that phone nearly a year now.

ive also had the bb bold (1st and 2nd gen) and currently the galaxy nexus as my work phone.

ive come to realize more or less i hate android phones. they all end up having the same problems after about 6 months. not only that, the phones are all the same. OEMs are resorting to "gimmick" marketing ploys to try to sell their phones.

ive had my iphone 4 for 11 months now and i am very happy with the phone, it does everything for me.

that being said, im bored with my phones. ive never tried a WM or WP device mainly because having to sell the older windows based phones (samsung i760, samsung omnia, omnia II, etc.) left a bad taste in my mouth. however i am definitely open to trying something new. spending $30 on an upgrade isnt a big deal to me, i can upgrade every 10 months.

so, i ask of you to help me decide as to whether or not i should venture into the world of WP.

and just as an FYI, i have a macbook pro. i dont know if that'll make any sort of difference.

thank you all for your time =)
    I LOVE my TROPHY.
    03-01-2012 07:26 PM
    Any update on how the phone is treating you, nslasha?

As far as reception goes...I haven't had any problems with mine yet. No dropped calls and always had service when I go to use it. Not saying it's not worse than other phones, though.
    03-01-2012 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD