Trophy Battery

jedwards73

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello all!

Just switched over to a Trophy from a BB 9850 because I was curious about the Windows Phone O/S. I like the O/S so far except, battery life.

Yesterday I got only about 9 hours of battery life. So last night I drained it completely, pulled battery, and charged all night. Today I got just over 8 hours.

I have three email (1 Exchange, 2 Gmail) accounts setup. I have my Facebook account signed in. Downloaded two apps, ScoreMobile (which I'm sure is shutdown when not in use as it is huge battery sucker on BB), and Shuffle Party. WiFi is turned on.

That is the extent of the customization I have done. My Torch 9850 would last 15+ hours and I would stream music on my drive home and have Bluetooth on all day.

So is 8-9 hours of occasional to moderate use with no talk time what I should expect from a Trophy?

Ohh and to top things off, the wet stickers tripped after just 24 hours, and I know it didn't get wet or even moist.

Thanks for any feedback on typical battery life.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I usually get more than 9 hours of battery life, but not too much more. I guess I've gotten into a groove with the phone, because I have gotten it to where I can time it out so that it is at critical battery level around the time when I'm going to bed. I would definitely check out Settings>(swipe to the left) Applications>Background Tasks. That will show you the list of apps running in the background that could be draining your battery. I have noticed that some apps will destroy my battery life, so you might want to test out each one (since you have so few) to see if any specific one is giving you trouble.

I also don't use WiFi on my phone unless I want to stream a hi-def video, so maybe that is the other area where you are seeing battery drain. If it is neither of those, then it might just be that you are in a bad service area. When I visit my parents out in the country, my battery life almost halves, since it is constantly trying to get better reception.

jedwards73

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Could quite possibly be it has a weaker antenna than my Torch hence the battery life problem.

Thanks for the tip on the Background Tasks! Only running app is HTC Hub.

I think I will delete ScoreMobile I know that can be an issue on BBs.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
First of all, you're comparing apples to oranges. It would be one thing to compare similar Trophies, but you're comparing two vastly different devices. It's really not a valid comparison.

Second, Wifi will suck juice. Unless you really need it, you should disable it. There are apps out there that will let you turn it on and off via a tile pinned to the home screen so makes it very easy to do it.

Third, 9 hours for a Trophy with Wifi on is actually very good for it.

jedwards73

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
First of all, you're comparing apples to oranges. It would be one thing to compare similar Trophies, but you're comparing two vastly different devices. It's really not a valid comparison.

Second, Wifi will suck juice. Unless you really need it, you should disable it. There are apps out there that will let you turn it on and off via a tile pinned to the home screen so makes it very easy to do it.

Third, 9 hours for a Trophy with Wifi on is actually very good for it.
I am evaluating the phones available on Verizon Wireless for the global business traveler. So for me comparing a Trophy to a BlackBerry/iPhone/Droid is fair.

We have been using BlackBerries for years, so those I know. My wife had a Droid which was not a good experience. Plus, I think supporting a fleet of Droid phones would be tough given the variety of hardware and mfg customizations. Windows Phone O/S is pretty nice, but the Trophy's battery isn't going to cut it for the global business traveler. That leaves the iPhone (which I haven’t tried yet) as the last possible choice.

Now, I looked at the reviews for AT&T's Windows phones and they do have all day battery life. If only AT&T had the extensive US coverage that VZW has.

It is only my third day and while I like the Windows Phone O/S, the Trophy just isn't the right fit for my situation.

A 9 hour battery isn’t a deal breaker for most people. If that were the case VZW would never sell another 4G Droid (except the Razr Maxx which isn’t a Global phone).

I appreciate the feedback on the typical Trophy life. I just wanted to make sure I hadn’t done something or turned something on that was sucking the battery down fast. I wanted the Trophy to be a good alternative, so I was hoping I did something wrong. :)

Thanks!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

FACT: WiFi will consume about 4-6% of your battery per day while on standby, so not a very big battery thief. Background tasks also do very little to drain your battery, averaging from less than 1 to 2% per app, per day. I ran static tests for40+ nights with various radios/ apps enabled and disabled. Each result was verified multiple times.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
How much time are you using it with the screen on? If I don't use the phone too much I can get through the day with up to 50% battery left when I go to bed. This is with WiFi and Bluetooth turned on.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
FACT: WiFi will consume about 4-6% of your battery per day while on standby, so not a very big battery thief. Background tasks also do very little to drain your battery, averaging from less than 1 to 2% per app, per day. I ran static tests for40+ nights with various radios/ apps enabled and disabled. Each result was verified multiple times.

Jimski, I appreciate your testing. For me, when I turn my Wifi on, the battery seems to run down pretty fast. It's a noticable difference between when I have it on vs when I don't. That's just my experience though.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I always heard different things about WiFi when on Android, I believe the consensus was that it's easier on battery than a cellular connection. Also 9 hours would be terrible! I wake at 7am and go to bed around 10pm after some texts, an hour to two of talk time, and plenty of web browsing, by bedtime it's at critical. If I don't touch the phone, I won't even hit 50% in that same timeframe. Also forgot, that's with Twitter and Facebook and 4 email accounts syncing.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Jimski, I appreciate your testing. For me, when I turn my Wifi on, the battery seems to run down pretty fast. It's a noticable difference between when I have it on vs when I don't. That's just my experience though.
Understood. My WiFi has been on 24/7 since January 2011. The data connection in my house and at work are terrible, averaging 1-2 bars. I only keep it on for background updates. Btw, I have an AT&T unlimited plan, but WiFi is much faster. Can't even think about streaming video or music over my 3G connection. Anyway, despite my poor 3G signal, I still get 14-15 hours with moderate use from my time 1230mAh battery.

The first 3 months I had my phone I never turned on WiFi, but suffered with the poor signal. Tried it out over a few days and didn't notice any significant battery hit. Later, I did the extensive testing, actually trying to prove my poor 3G signal was responsible for millions of kilowatts in lost power every year, bit couldn't quite pin that down. Found out about WiFi and its little battery nibble by accident.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I have a Trophy and am pretty impressed with the battery life. I can take it off the charger at 0600 and still have around 15-20% battery at 10:00 PM. I have three email accounts with lots of emails(one gmail and one imap), send/receive maybe 30-40 texts a day, make a few phone calls, have live tiles that pull data (like weather, news) and keep my wi-fi on all the time. No bluetooth. On weekends, when I don't do as much business stuff or get as many emails, I might have about 40% at night.

So, it sure seems like something particularly, is draining your battery.

xmind

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I was extremely disappointed in the battery life. For WP being touted for it's performance and efficiency, the Trophy is good example of performance, but definitely not efficiency. I expect phones to allow you to be untethered for no less than 24 hours; 48 should be the minimum goal of any phone in my opinion. Turning off Wifi, all background tasks, turning battery saver mode on right after charging, and minimal use throughout the day, I could usually only get around 18 to 20 hours on the stock 1300mAh battery. I have a 2150 mAh battery, but it is just too bulky. So I ordered an 1800 mAh from Amazon. That 38% increase in capacity is great! Wifi off, few background tasks, no battery saver, and moderate use and I got 24 hours and still had 30% left. It fits with the stock battery cover too. I am much happier now.

Amazon.com: Mugen Power Extended Battery 1800mAh for HTC 7 Trophy: Cell Phones & Accessories

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I was extremely disappointed in the battery life. For WP being touted for it's performance and efficiency, the Trophy is good example of performance, but definitely not efficiency. I expect phones to allow you to be untethered for no less than 24 hours; 48 should be the minimum goal of any phone in my opinion. Turning off Wifi, all background tasks, turning battery saver mode on right after charging, and minimal use throughout the day, I could usually only get around 18 to 20 hours on the stock 1300mAh battery. I have a 2150 mAh battery, but it is just too bulky. So I ordered an 1800 mAh from Amazon. That 38% increase in capacity is great! Wifi off, few background tasks, no battery saver, and moderate use and I got 24 hours and still had 30% left. It fits with the stock battery cover too. I am much happier now.

Amazon.com: Mugen Power Extended Battery 1800mAh for HTC 7 Trophy: Cell Phones & Accessories

24 hours for a modern smartphone?? Really? I don't want to disable all the cool functions of the phone to get super extended battey life.

On that extended battery, does is push out the back a little bit? I thought I read that it did.

But the good thing about the Trophy battery is that it is a fairly common HTC one and can be found, new and oem on the bay for less than $10.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been wanting to buy the official extended battery from Verizon, but it's been out of stock forever so I don't think they're selling it anymore. I was pretty disappointed by this, since I was a complete skeptic when it comes to non-OEM batteries. But I really wanted a bigger battery, so I went ahead and tried the Mugen 1800 mAh battery, which fits under the stock battery door.

I've only had the Mugen for a few days, but I've been completely surprised by the results. I didn't expect to see an improvement over the stock battery, but it sure seems to be lasting longer to me.

I'm not a super heavy user, so the stock battery would usually get me through the day, ending up at around 10% or so when I go to bed. With this battery though, I ended up at around 45% about an hour before bed. The directions say to run the battery down to low levels before recharging for the first couple days, so I had to open up a 3D game and let it run for an hour to get it down to critical.

I suppose part of this could be the fact that the stock battery is about 10 months old and the Mugen is new, but I didn't think batteries degrade that fast.

I'd love to get some fancy equipment and scientifically test the battery to see if it really is better than stock, but for now I'm a believer in the Mugen battery.

Here the link to the one I bought:
[HLI-TrophySL] Buy Mugen Power 1800mAh Extended Battery for HTC 7 Trophy T8686 (HTC Spark)

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

24 hours on a smartphone w/o charging? Are you daft? Seriously, why do you "expect" phones to last 24 hours and 48 to be the minimum goal? You DO realize you can charge a battery when you're sleeping right? I'm assuming you sleep. Maybe you're a MIB and work a 36 hour day. Who knows.

The reality is that batteries are not designed to last that long. They figure you sleeping sometime. I think you need to amend your expectations. You can do as you did and get an extended life batt, but manufs are planning on you sleeping and not needing the phone for a period of time so it can be charged.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Well certainly older phones could last that long, even a so-called smartphone like the Blackberry could as well. None of them however powered screens so large and bright, ran processors that would be at home in a PC of a few years ago, had to keep data streams going and updating, and in general did all the things a modern smartphone does.

If I didn't already have 3 regular Trophy batteries, I would probably grab that Mugen one (and I don't even cycle through them either :p).

xmind

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
24 hours on a smartphone w/o charging? Are you daft? Seriously, why do you "expect" phones to last 24 hours and 48 to be the minimum goal? You DO realize you can charge a battery when you're sleeping right? I'm assuming you sleep. Maybe you're a MIB and work a 36 hour day. Who knows.

The reality is that batteries are not designed to last that long. They figure you sleeping sometime. I think you need to amend your expectations. You can do as you did and get an extended life batt, but manufs are planning on you sleeping and not needing the phone for a period of time so it can be charged.

I understand larger screens, more memory, and faster processors, but IMO you should not be expected to plug the phone in with in a 24 hour period of time. I say a goal of 48 hours because if you forget to plug it in one day, you aren't hosed the next day by either leaving a phone away from you on a charger, swapping batteries (which I can do, I know), or living without a phone for that day. My old Windows Mobile phone could do it...with some hacks unfortunately, my Blackberry has no problem going 4-5 days without a charge getting a hundred push emails a day, my wife's iPhone4 goes almost 48 hours with heavy use, and I could get 2 days out of my wife's old Droid Eris (unfortunately again with some hacking as well), so why should I settle for sub 24 hours for this phone?

I have had numerous times where on travel for work I did not have access to a charger for more than 24 hours. So even not using the damn phone it'll die. Heaven forbid if I actually want to use the phone and now I have 10 hours of run-time before I need to find a charger. While phones are getting faster and more powerful, the hardware chip efficiency is increasing as well. I wouldn't be surprised if a new Qualcomm 1 GHz processor today probably eats up less battery than the old school 416 MHz XScale processor per given task or time.

I completely understand that most of you are now trained by Android/large screened or Verizon 4G phones to expect to charge a phone at least once a day, if not plugged in sometime during the day as well, but to me I find it an inconvenience/annoyance. I have and I am willing to forego getting notified that exact second I got an email for an extra hour a day of battery. Same as why I turn off location unless going on trips. I apparently am just more conservative than many others as running a phone down all the time means that if something unexpected ever comes up I may or may not be with my potential lifeline in an emergency.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I understand larger screens, more memory, and faster processors, but IMO you should not be expected to plug the phone in with in a 24 hour period of time. I say a goal of 48 hours because if you forget to plug it in one day, you aren't hosed the next day by either leaving a phone away from you on a charger, swapping batteries (which I can do, I know), or living without a phone for that day. My old Windows Mobile phone could do it...with some hacks unfortunately, my Blackberry has no problem going 4-5 days without a charge getting a hundred push emails a day, my wife's iPhone4 goes almost 48 hours with heavy use, and I could get 2 days out of my wife's old Droid Eris (unfortunately again with some hacking as well), so why should I settle for sub 24 hours for this phone?

I have had numerous times where on travel for work I did not have access to a charger for more than 24 hours. So even not using the damn phone it'll die. Heaven forbid if I actually want to use the phone and now I have 10 hours of run-time before I need to find a charger. While phones are getting faster and more powerful, the hardware chip efficiency is increasing as well. I wouldn't be surprised if a new Qualcomm 1 GHz processor today probably eats up less battery than the old school 416 MHz XScale processor per given task or time.

I completely understand that most of you are now trained by Android/large screened or Verizon 4G phones to expect to charge a phone at least once a day, if not plugged in sometime during the day as well, but to me I find it an inconvenience/annoyance. I have and I am willing to forego getting notified that exact second I got an email for an extra hour a day of battery. Same as why I turn off location unless going on trips. I apparently am just more conservative than many others as running a phone down all the time means that if something unexpected ever comes up I may or may not be with my potential lifeline in an emergency.

No one has trained me. I have 2 phones, one is an older BB 8530 and a Trophy. I've just learned to plug it in when I am sleeping. I don't use the phone when I'm sleeping. Great opportunity to charge it don't you think? Yes, I can go 2 days w/o charging it, but why be out on that edge? Why not just charge it when you have a chance. I understand not charging it if you can't, but if you CAN, why not...

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

How long are you using it with the screen on?

I can get 48 hours out of mine without much trouble and I leave everything on including Bluetooth, WiFi, location, e-mail etc.

plarusa

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
No one has trained me. I have 2 phones, one is an older BB 8530 and a Trophy. I've just learned to plug it in when I am sleeping. I don't use the phone when I'm sleeping. Great opportunity to charge it don't you think? Yes, I can go 2 days w/o charging it, but why be out on that edge? Why not just charge it when you have a chance. I understand not charging it if you can't, but if you CAN, why not...

I agree with your battery life finding. I own an iPhone, a Droid, a Trophy, a BB 9930, and a BB 9700. The 9700, which is the oldest, trumps all of them when it comes to battery life. It can last more than a week on a full charge untouched, and several days when used normally. Yet it does phone calls, email, web browsing and GPS, which is all0I need a phone for. I've concluded that for me, it is the best phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre