HTC Trophy Unlock

john_allen_1911

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I called Verizon for my code. I followed the instructions and BOOOO! Phone simply says CDMA Only now.

So I have a couple questions:

1) The instructions said "insert any third-party SIM card" but when I called V Global Support they said, "oh no, the phone detects if it is a US carrier and locks the phone on CDMA only. Any third-party SIM means non-US SIM."

If I buy an unlock code from one of those unlock websites will is "truly" unlock the phone? Or will it still be Verizon-partially unlocked?

The way I see it is, I own the phone, I should be able to unlock and do what ever I want. If I want crappy T-Mo reception with no data service that is my business.

2) Has anyone here successfully unlocked a Verizon phone and used an AT&T or T-Mo SIM in it? (I found a thread online about Droids but I was hoping for specifics on the Trophy).

I think I am going to get a Canadian SIM card sent to me and throw it in to see what happens. V Global Support says it should fire right up and ask me for my SIM unlock code.

Any help would be nice.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I called Verizon for my code. I followed the instructions and BOOOO! Phone simply says CDMA Only now.

So I have a couple questions:

1) The instructions said "insert any third-party SIM card" but when I called V Global Support they said, "oh no, the phone detects if it is a US carrier and locks the phone on CDMA only. Any third-party SIM means non-US SIM."

If I buy an unlock code from one of those unlock websites will is "truly" unlock the phone? Or will it still be Verizon-partially unlocked?

The way I see it is, I own the phone, I should be able to unlock and do what ever I want. If I want crappy T-Mo reception with no data service that is my business.

2) Has anyone here successfully unlocked a Verizon phone and used an AT&T or T-Mo SIM in it? (I found a thread online about Droids but I was hoping for specifics on the Trophy).

I think I am going to get a Canadian SIM card sent to me and throw it in to see what happens. V Global Support says it should fire right up and ask me for my SIM unlock code.

Any help would be nice.

The unlock codes you buy from those websites are for GSM phones, not a Verizon dual band CDMA/GSM phone.

In the future, you may want to buy an unbranded/unlocked GSM phone. Just saying.

john_allen_1911

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The unlock codes you buy from those websites are for GSM phones, not a Verizon dual band CDMA/GSM phone.

In the future, you may want to buy an unbranded/unlocked GSM phone. Just saying.

I have contacted a couple unlock companies to ask about their unlock codes versus Verizon's unlock code. I assume they will tell me it is a no go but it is worth a try.

I am stuck with Verizon because the truth is they have the best coverage in the US. If I could just completely unlock the SIM card slot so it would accept AT&T or T-Mo I would be very happy. I would try out AT&T for a month and see if the call quality and consistency is good enough to make the switch.

Hoping someone here knows the trick to making this happen.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I have contacted a couple unlock companies to ask about their unlock codes versus Verizon's unlock code. I assume they will tell me it is a no go but it is worth a try.

I am stuck with Verizon because the truth is they have the best coverage in the US. If I could just completely unlock the SIM card slot so it would accept AT&T or T-Mo I would be very happy. I would try out AT&T for a month and see if the call quality and consistency is good enough to make the switch.

Hoping someone here knows the trick to making this happen.

Let us know what happens!

The only negative thing I can think of that might happen is they might sell you an unlock code for a HTC 7 Trophy, which won't do you any good. I have an imported HTC 7 Trophy from Germany. It's identical to the Verizon Trophy, but it's a GSM only Trophy. It doesn't have the CDMA bands. Then again, unlock codes aren't that expensive, so it won't be a great loss if that happens.

Good luck to ya!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
This may be the same sort of thing I saw with the Android phones, it is "locked" further down than the codes go, it is more of a radio firmware level locking. Pretty much means no chance of this happening. Not sure what would happen of you had a foreign SIM that roams on T-Mo though.

john_allen_1911

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This may be the same sort of thing I saw with the Android phones, it is "locked" further down than the codes go, it is more of a radio firmware level locking. Pretty much means no chance of this happening. Not sure what would happen of you had a foreign SIM that roams on T-Mo though.

I found a company that sells those exact items. I am going to try one. It should unlock the SIM slot because it is foreign and work in the US because it is "roaming" here. The per minute prices are a little steep but it is perfect for what I trying to do.

Thanks for the reply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk