Tango Update

scottd34

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I don't even get up to 250 MB most months on my unlimited plan. Wish this would have come out sooner so I could have gotten a $30 2 GB plan. Now I would have to switch to a share plan which is much more expensive than I have now.

you can still add the $20 tether option since it goes along with the unlimited data. should be able to add through my verizon website if youd rather not have a person touch the account.

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the grandfathered unlimited plan and I didn't get any errors or notifications when I enabled hotspot. I didn't test it on my computer but rather my wife's phone connected via WiFi. It worked fine and successfully navigated to several sites on her phone. I'll have to try on the PC and see if I get different results.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Three failed attempts to install. Probably because I forced the last Verizon update. Not willing to do a hard reset just for tethering. Will use the wife's iPhone for that.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

crazie

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
For all those who are grandfathered in on an unlimited data plan.....

For anyone tethering: They know you're tethering because of a setting in your PST that sees data go through dun.vzw3g.com, rather than vzw3g.com. They know you're tethering. Will they do anything about it? Probably not. But, I don't take any chances. Here's what you do:

Dial ##778.
Edit Mode.
000000 (six zeroes).
M.IP Default Profile.
DUN NAI.
Change it from YOURNUMBER@dun.vzw3g.com to YOURNUMBER@vzw3g.com -- In other words, you're deleting the text "dun."
OK.
Menu >
Commit Modifications.

Your phone will reboot. From now on (potentially until/if you ever flash another PB00IMG.zip that you'd normally have to *228 for), you will channel all your tethering through vzw3g.com instead of dun.vzw3g.com.

As far as Verizon is watching, you're moving all that data right into your phone, and not tethering.

I take no credit, except for trying it. Follow the instructions exactly and it works like a charm. This post was written with my iPad tethered tony Trophy. Source link below:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/65845-tethering.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
OK, so Internet sharing is there, but I have bad news for anyone on an unlimited plan (It's the only one I can confirm).....

It looks like everything works, but you'll have to pay $20/month to actually use the browser or data functions of any connected device. I confirmed this with my wireless laptop and my Zune HD.

See attached for full disapopintment.
What about yesterday's FCC ruling and the $1.2M fine against Verizon for charging a fee ($20) for tethering. Word is they can only charge that fee for grandfathered unlimited plans, but they can't determine your plan when tethering. At least not on Androids. May have to wait a few days for them to tear down the walls.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

xmind

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
unfortunately that ruling was only for the LTE bands, not the 3G bands the Trophy is using...so we can't use that as a glimmer of hope of getting free tethering here...

crazie

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Your phone accesses the network via a specific address: yournumber@vzw3g.com for normal network (based on what I've read). It uses a slightly different name for the tethering. I think Verizon has your address tied to permissions based on your plan type.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been stuck on Step 6 of 10 for almost a half hour. Is that normal? If I cancel it will it ... break anything?

EDIT: I canceled and got a horrible error message with an error code C101002E. If my phone is now bricked, I'm going to cry. I DESPERATELY need it for tomorrow.

Last edited:

crazie

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been stuck on Step 6 of 10 for almost a half hour. Is that normal? If I cancel it will it ... break anything?

Certainly not normal in my experience. About one hour was what it took for me to complete the update I think (all 3). I'm not sure about what happens if you cancel. Also, my updates only have 9 steps total, not 10.

daknarr

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Zune says I have update 7.10.7740.16 available. When I try the upgrade thing, I get and error. I don't even see Tango yet. Will I be able to upgrade to Tango from 7720, or will I have to go to 7740, then 7780 before Tango?

Last edited:

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
For all those who are grandfathered in on an unlimited data plan.....

For anyone tethering: They know you're tethering because of a setting in your PST that sees data go through dun.vzw3g.com, rather than vzw3g.com. They know you're tethering. Will they do anything about it? Probably not. But, I don't take any chances. Here's what you do:

I take no credit, except for trying it. Follow the instructions exactly and it works like a charm. This post was written with my iPad tethered tony Trophy. Source link below:

Tethering? - Android Forums

Has this been confirmed that it works?

I know when I had the Droid X, they (Verizon) would automatically redirect you to their mobile hotspot internet page to pay for the service. Didn't matter if I was using PDAnet or Barnacle or whatever. I was always redirected to Verizon's website to pay for tethering.

Come to find out, Verizon knows if your tethering on a Droid X because the data stream comes from a different place when sharing a connection. There was a hack for that exploited by Team Black Hat where you would use the actual radio software programming that Motorola uses and you could change the data streams to where all incoming data to Verizon looked as though it originated on the phone. Ever since I found that, I was able to tether problem free.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Just followed these instructions, got the tethering working no problem. Don't plan on using it much (maybe not until I have a 4G WP anyway) but nice to have in my back pocket.

rkremers

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

Updated my Trophy to Tango last night, and tried tethering, and it works with changing the settings after going into the #778 menu.

Anyway, here is my issue. So far, I've received text messages from 3-4 different people and two of them now conclude with "call back at THEIR NUMBER." There's nothing in my settings that shows this is an option that I enabled.

Anyone have any ideas? I found a thread on another forum from early July, but it died quickly, and no one had an answer. Any ideas?

THANKS!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

Updated my Trophy to Tango last night, and tried tethering, and it works with changing the settings after going into the #778 menu.

Anyway, here is my issue. So far, I've received text messages from 3-4 different people and two of them now conclude with "call back at THEIR NUMBER." There's nothing in my settings that shows this is an option that I enabled.

Anyone have any ideas? I found a thread on another forum from early July, but it died quickly, and no one had an answer. Any ideas?

THANKS!
Maybe that is a Tango thing...i started getting that sometime recently (and I installed via the .cabs). Not from all numbers, but seems like from dumb phones...hmm.

rkremers

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe that is a Tango thing...i started getting that sometime recently (and I installed via the .cabs). Not from all numbers, but seems like from dumb phones...hmm.

It's odd, of the three of my friend whose text messages now show the "call back at" signature, one is a feature phone, one is an older android device (the R2D2 one) and I believe the third is the newer droid razr. It's a small annoyance, but I suppose I can live with it.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay somewhere around June 20th-30th I started getting the "call back" nonsense from 3 Verizon dumbphones. Now I need to see when I installed Tango...or maybe it is an unrelated VZW thing.

rkremers

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay somewhere around June 20th-30th I started getting the "call back" nonsense from 3 Verizon dumbphones. Now I need to see when I installed Tango...or maybe it is an unrelated VZW thing.

Mine definitely started showing up the second I updated to Tango, BUT I think all three people who I have this problem with use Verizon, so maybe it's tied to that.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine definitely started showing up the second I updated to Tango, BUT I think all three people who I have this problem with use Verizon, so maybe it's tied to that.

Yeah it appears to be. Found some old complaints dating back to 2009 from Blackberry owners on Verizon. Seems to be an issue with them. You can get the offenders to disable the call back number and it will put an end to it.

crazie

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Has this been confirmed that it works?

I know when I had the Droid X, they (Verizon) would automatically redirect you to their mobile hotspot internet page to pay for the service. Didn't matter if I was using PDAnet or Barnacle or whatever. I was always redirected to Verizon's website to pay for tethering.

Come to find out, Verizon knows if your tethering on a Droid X because the data stream comes from a different place when sharing a connection. There was a hack for that exploited by Team Black Hat where you would use the actual radio software programming that Motorola uses and you could change the data streams to where all incoming data to Verizon looked as though it originated on the phone. Ever since I found that, I was able to tether problem free.

The first part of my post should have been quoted also...because that was taken directly from the instructions I found.

You are somewhat correct about tethering. Based on what I've read, your normal data connection goes through "yournumber(at)vzw3g.com", but tethering goes through "yournumber(at)dun.vzw3g.com". So anything going through the "dun" connection can get routed to Verizon's Internet Sharing subscription site. Following these instructions routes the tethered data through the same data pipe as the un-tethered data, so VZW, on there end, can't tell if it's tethered or not.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I understand from everything I've read.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6