Upgraded my memory, problem charging?

Deezul_AwT

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded the SD card yesterday to 32GB, using the recommended SanDisk card. When I removed the foil, I didn't do as good a job as I probably should have and tore it a bit. The phone is out of warranty, so I was not worried about that. Today, while leaving the phone connected to a stand alone charger for 5-6 hours, I got an error that something was wrong with my SD card. I rebooted the phone, and it came back up fine. It was not the phone charger that came with the phone, it was another microUSB one from a headset that plugs directly into an outlet. The night before it was connected for 6 hours, and when I checked it, the screen was on. I have the phone go into a screen saver mode, so it seemed a bit odd.

I used the phone for a day without any problems, so I don't think it's the card as much as it could be the foil. If the card wasn't going to work, it problem wouldn't have let me sync it yesterday, nor would it have worked at all today. The only change is the card swap.

Obviously I could put the old card back in to know for sure what the problem is, but then if it was foil, it wouldn't matter what card was in there. Is there any foil I can buy to put on the phone that might fix the problem? Or should I just make sure I don't leave the phone connected much longer after reaching a full charge?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The micro USB chargers I have for several headphone are rated 375 or 500 mA. Not nearly enough juice to charge your phone. Most HTC chargers are 1A. Should be 750-850mA at a bare minimum. Use another charger.

Don't know if that will solve your problem, but it will eliminate one possibility.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
To add to what Jimski mentioned, there are also a lot of generic chargers out there that say they are rated at 750mA to 1Amp, but they aren't. We use to have a list over at TreoCentral of chargers that worked and didn't work.

They may claim they are rated at xxxmA, but testing proved they weren't.

Deezul_AwT

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
The phone charges with no problems. The problem is I think it doesn't STOP charging before it overheats the phone, or the tape I removed was enough to overheat the phone. I've used the generic ones for over a year, and until I upgraded the memory and tore the tape, I never had a problem. I'll give it a try again with the USB cable and charger from the phone and see what happens.

On another note, I may just have to take the rubber skin off the phone when charging at night. It may be keeping some heat in as well, or at least will eliminate it. I hope it might just be something as simple as a crappy charger that doesn't know when to stop or finding a role of thermal tape and redoing the piece over the card.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The phone charges with no problems. The problem is I think it doesn't STOP charging before it overheats the phone, or the tape I removed was enough to overheat the phone. I've used the generic ones for over a year, and until I upgraded the memory and tore the tape, I never had a problem. I'll give it a try again with the USB cable and charger from the phone and see what happens.

On another note, I may just have to take the rubber skin off the phone when charging at night. It may be keeping some heat in as well, or at least will eliminate it. I hope it might just be something as simple as a crappy charger that doesn't know when to stop or finding a role of thermal tape and redoing the piece over the card.
Any charger will charge your phone. But if the amperage is too low, it will cause the charger and battery to heat up, potentially damaging both devices. Might already be too late, but a proper charger may help.

So did you remove the foil film completely, or just shift it around? Assuming the foil sits on top of the SD card, what sits directly above it? The battery? The foil is a radiant barrier and peeling back/repositioning shouldn't have much effect. But removing it completely would be a problem.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Deezul_AwT

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
So did you remove the foil film completely, or just shift it around? Assuming the foil sits on top of the SD card, what sits directly above it? The battery? The foil is a radiant barrier and peeling back/repositioning shouldn't have much effect. But removing it completely would be a problem.

Opened up the phone to take a look at my handwork. Nothing above the memory card except the bracket, tape, then the back cover of the phone. Looks like a think pieces of aluminum. It looks like I left about 40% of the tape covering the SD card, and it doesn't look clean. It's bunched up a bit. Guess that's my problem! Now to just find some tape somewhere and replace it. And I'll have some for when I do my wife's phone.

Last edited:

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Opened up the phone to take a look at my handwork. Nothing above the memory card except the bracket, tape, then the back cover of the phone. Looks like a think pieces of aluminum. It looks like I left about 40% of the tape covering the SD card, and it doesn't look clean. It's bunched up a bit. Guess that's my problem! Now to just find some tape somewhere and replace it. And I'll have some for when I do my wife's phone.
You can get foil tape at a hobby store to replace the foil tape you damaged.

Deezul_AwT

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
You can get foil tape at a hobby store to replace the foil tape you damaged.

I think the foil tape is thermal tape, but I can put a little thermal paste on top, let it dry a bit, and then apply the foil tape from a hobby store. Thanks. I didn't just want to put scotch tape or masking tape; i wanted to put something that would at least do some heat conducting.

Deezul_AwT

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, I think it might actually BE the memory card that is bad. Since I haven't fixed the tape issue yet, I've stopped letting the phone stay on the charger. This morning after waking up, I went to view an app. App locked up, and the phone automatically rebooted. When it came up, it was the memory error screen. Another reboot and it was fine. And just now, while listening to music, right when an alarm was supposed to go off, at that exact moment the phone rebooted. So I'll be putting the old memory card back in and hope for the best again until WP8 devices are out.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, I think it might actually BE the memory card that is bad. Since I haven't fixed the tape issue yet, I've stopped letting the phone stay on the charger. This morning after waking up, I went to view an app. App locked up, and the phone automatically rebooted. When it came up, it was the memory error screen. Another reboot and it was fine. And just now, while listening to music, right when an alarm was supposed to go off, at that exact moment the phone rebooted. So I'll be putting the old memory card back in and hope for the best again until WP8 devices are out.
Did you use the 'Reinstaller' app from WPFied?

When I upgraded the memory in my Trophy I had the issue with apps locking up and some wouldn't even launch. After a few reloads of the phone, I figured out that Reinstaller allowed me to install some of the HTC apps that weren't available by just going to the market place. I don't know if the apps were pulled due to issues or just rolled into the updates.

Long story longer, it was the HTC 'Attentive Phone' or 'Sound Enhancer' that was causing my issue.

Deezul_AwT

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Did you use the 'Reinstaller' app from WPFied?

When I upgraded the memory in my Trophy I had the issue with apps locking up and some wouldn't even launch. After a few reloads of the phone, I figured out that Reinstaller allowed me to install some of the HTC apps that weren't available by just going to the market place. I don't know if the apps were pulled due to issues or just rolled into the updates.

Long story longer, it was the HTC 'Attentive Phone' or 'Sound Enhancer' that was causing my issue.

No, I manually re-added my apps. And are you saying you had to remove Attentive Phone and Sound Enhancer? I never used the Sound Enhancer, but I do like Attentive phone.

And my phone rebooted again today with the memory error. I'm going to try to put some thermal paste on it and see if it's just an overheating issue. If that doesn't work, then I'll put the old memory card back in. I really like the additional space, so I don't want to have to go back to the 16GB card. But if that's what it will take to stop the phone from rebooting, then so be it. I just need to hold out until October when the new WP8 devices come out.

Last edited:

Deezul_AwT

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I put the old memory card back in. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do a hard reset, as it was only about two weeks out of date. But the phone didn't like the old card, so a reset was required with the 16GB card. I'm putting a restore from 3 August when I last updated the phone so I won't have to reload all my apps.

I reset what little of the foil I had onto the cover, and I'll see if it is the new card was bad or if it was the foil. If I run into bad memory card errors, then I'll know it's the foil and I can put the 32GB card back in, with some new thermal paste. If it's golden for the next week, then it was the card. And I'll just return it to Amazon and wait for a new WP8 device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss