My girlfriend and I are going to Paris in October and I really would like to bring my phone, mainly because I want to be able to use the GPS/maps function, but also to upload pics and text/call to meet up with a friend of ours.

I've looked up on Verizon's website, however, and the cost seems excessive. While texting was $0.50/text and I can just upload pics over wi-fi, a week and a half of heavy maps usage can certainly add up (Verizon quotes a rate of $25 per 100mb).

My brother suggested I just get a French prepaid sim card and use that while I'm there. I've also heard that if I travel abroad, when I get back my 3G connection will be cut off.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks!
    09-04-2012 05:14 PM
    I would suggest getting your phone carrier unlock ( 20-80$ depending on who does it )
    then get a Local Sim card ( in paris ) and use that. Also try to use WIFI, paris has allot of open WIFI around the city you can connect to.

me and my friends travelled allot and i can tell you a 500$+ cell phone bill is VERY likely!
    Data+phone calls is STUPID expensive,
    marcotomas likes this.
    09-04-2012 05:26 PM
    Read through this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/trophy/182373.htm

There was a problem going from CDMA to GSM but I believe it's been resolved.

My wife and i go to France a couple of times a year. You're best off stopping by an Orange carrier store and getting a pay as you go SIM card and adding unlimited monthly internet for 9 euros. It's a lot cheaper.

Do you speak French?
    marcotomas likes this.
    09-04-2012 05:31 PM
    Thanks. I imagine that finding a data simcard in Paris shouldn't be all that difficult?

It would be nice to get it before I leave, but some of the online vendors look shady. Is there a risk through buying through, say, Amazon? I'd prefer to have my phone number ahead of time so I can inform my host, friend, etc. before I leave.
    09-04-2012 05:43 PM
    Read through this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/trophy/182373.htm

There was a problem going from CDMA to GSM but I believe it's been resolved.

My wife and i go to France a couple of times a year. You're best off stopping by an Orange carrier store and getting a pay as you go SIM card and adding unlimited monthly internet for 9 euros. It's a lot cheaper.

Do you speak French?
    I dont speak French but my girlfriend is basically fluent.
    09-04-2012 05:50 PM
    Thanks. I imagine that finding a data simcard in Paris shouldn't be all that difficult?

It would be nice to get it before I leave, but some of the online vendors look shady. Is there a risk through buying through, say, Amazon? I'd prefer to have my phone number ahead of time so I can inform my host, friend, etc. before I leave.
    I've never bought a SIM card ahead of time. You are going to want a French carrier like Orange or Bouygues Telecom, if you do that. There are Orange carrier stores everywhere in Paris. It's hard not to find one.

When you call or text to the U.S., make sure you add a +1 before any phone number.

I dont speak French but my girlfriend is basically fluent.
    You should be fine in Paris. If you go outside of Paris, people are normally bilingual, but English isn't necessarily their 2nd language. If you add money to your SIM card, you do it over the phone and it's in French. I've never heard an English option.
    marcotomas likes this.
    09-04-2012 06:09 PM
    Cool. One last question: Do I need to unlock if I have an HTC Trophy? One of the reasons I got it is because it was called a "global phone," so I'd be annoyed if I'd have to unlock it ahead of time.
    09-04-2012 06:16 PM
    Cool. One last question: Do I need to unlock if I have an HTC Trophy? One of the reasons I got it is because it was called a "global phone," so I'd be annoyed if I'd have to unlock it ahead of time.
    I don't know, you'll have to call Verizon and ask. I have an unbranded/unlocked GSM only HTC 7 Trophy from Germany. I also sent you a PM.
    09-04-2012 06:23 PM
    Yes, you'll have to get it unlocked. Some people have reported success by just calling Verizon and asking them to unlock it. Apparently they will unlock a phone for you every so often if you ask. Others have reported success with buying unlock codes on Ebay.
    palandri and marcotomas like this.
    09-05-2012 05:02 PM
    Just to reiterate, yes, you do have to call Verizon and they will unlock your phone. Look at my post near the end of the "no data on return to US thread" for more detailed instructions (I just went to the UK and was fine buying a cheap SIM there, but you have to make sure you get someone on the phone with Verizon first who knows what they're doing and knows how to give you an unlock code.)

And my data was fine after I came back. The problem was fixed.
    marcotomas likes this.
    09-06-2012 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD