Long Term Trophy Users

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I had the trophy over a year. I had several software issues and several replacement devices. Now I have the 822 and it's head and shoulders better than my trophy. It's faster, screen is better, camera is better and reception is better. I also like the software improvements with WP8.

I haven't had any software issues and this is my original Trophy. I'm sure the 822 is much better, it's brand new, it better be head and shoulders better than the Trophy. There probably was some software improvements, but none that I need. Heck there are some things still not included with WP8 or were removed; ex. no custom text ringtones, I still have Internet Sharing with my unlimited data, group texting was removed just to name a few. Yes, I'm looking forward to a device with a bigger screen, but I'm not ready to give up what I have now. Like I said a few posts up, once 7.8 is released, the new start screen will be nice to have.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any software issues and this is my original Trophy. I'm sure the 822 is much better, it's brand new, it better be head and shoulders better than the Trophy. There probably was some software improvements, but none that I need. Heck there are some things still not included with WP8 or were removed; ex. no custom text ringtones, I still have Internet Sharing with my unlimited data, group texting was removed just to name a few. Yes, I'm looking forward to a device with a bigger screen, but I'm not ready to give up what I have now. Like I said a few posts up, once 7.8 is released, the new start screen will be nice to have.
I think I'm with you on this one. I was all set to get some new hardware but it seems like WP8 is a step backward in several ways. Overall stability, group texting (I know, not MS's fault), maps, FM radio, missing apps that were there for WP7, all seem to have gotten worse in terms of usability. I fear I could come up with others if I actually had a WP8 to use daily. And IMO they didn't add enough useful features to compensate for it.

I love the design of the 8X. I just wish I could get it with WP7.8 instead.

ontapbjt

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got my Trophy when they first became available and just handed it down to my son when my Lumia 822 arrived. The phone has been a rock as far as quality is concerned. I never had an issue with it and even dropped it a few times on a concrete floor without a scratch. I was sad to see it go. If it had a better camera I probably would have kept it for a while longer.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine from the day I could get it (well, 3-4 days after verizon released it). Besides the first few I got had issues the one I am running now has been a great phone. I've dropped it a ton of times with no issues. I have used custom roms on it for the heck of it, even running 7.8. It's been a great phone even though I really want a phone with a larger display, I am and have been really happy with it. Battery life is about a day but, I have 4-5 batteries for it that I keep charged, I can go for 4-6 days with out charing the phone if I need to.

If Verizon would let me keep my unlimited data, I would get a WP8 device but, as of now, i am not willing to upgrade because they wont (like AT&T users can)...and keep my beloved Trophy.... Even if I end up upgrading, I will keep my Trophy for a backup and sell off my Touch Pro 2 backup phone....(they use the same battery, a perk)

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, heck, I'm eating my words now. Stopped in at a Best Buy Mobile to "look" at the phones. Asked if they had a 822, yep they did. Man, I really liked it better than the 8X! Told them if they had it for $50 I'd get it. Oops! Big mistake. The manager was able to find it on sale at Radio Shack, so she price-matched for me. I "stole" an upgrade on another line so I could keep my Unlimited Data.

I will use the 822 over the weekend and then it will may go back on Monday. The Unlimited Data doesn't really help if I can't tether any tablets to it without the extra $20 fee. And to change my plan to a Share Everything is more expensive. I miss the Group Contact option although I can pin the most called people, so I can work around that.

I'm thinking if I just keep the 822 and just put my Trophy back on my account, maybe in a couple of months, we'll see an OS update that will bring the custom text tones, Group Contact, LED light when charging, and maybe an app to allow the Internet Sharing without the fee.

Any words of wisdom?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up my Trophy for the first time since I've gotten my 8x (a couple weeks). I miss that little guy! Idk how everybody else feels, but the screen size of the Trophy was perfect! Kinda wish my 8x had that size screen! (and kept 720p) lol

riquejohnson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have no complaints about my Trophy. It's never given me any problems. I will upgrade her though. I'm in the waiting game. Being on Verizon and the rumors about the Samsung Odyssey which is supposed to be different than the Samsung ATIV S, I'm curious to see what that phone is like. So I wait for that or the Nokia 9xx possibly coming to Verizon also. If I don't get release dates for either of those, I'd mostly likely get the Nokia 822. I've played with the 8x and the 822 countless times. For my taste the 8x is a bit small in my hands. You can't go wrong with the expandable 822. Having said that, I continue the wait for my Trophy is rocking beta 7.8 and I'm loving it.

Gharra

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I love my htc trophy. In terms of functionality it has never let me down. Never has it frozen on me. However 8mp seems like the new standard and many of the new aps are WP8 only. I love the os more than i love the phone and i will be upgrading to the 8x for those two reasons. The trophy will be one of those things that only those who have owned it will respect it.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I love my htc trophy. In terms of functionality it has never let me down. Never has it frozen on me. However 8mp seems like the new standard and many of the new aps are WP8 only. I love the os more than i love the phone and i will be upgrading to the 8x for those two reasons. The trophy will be one of those things that only those who have owned it will respect it.

I'm right there with you. I never had any issues with my Trophy either. I liked the 8X when I saw it here. It was even better looking when I saw it in person. I looked at it twice before I saw the Nokia 822. I immeditely liked the 822 better. The 8X is really long. The 822 has a bigger screen. I'm not comparing screen quality, just the size. You should at least check it out.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Love the Trophy but I am ready for an upgrade! The wait until May is killing me... Hopefully Verizon will have something by then worth waiting for!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Love the Trophy but I am ready for an upgrade! The wait until May is killing me... Hopefully Verizon will have something by then worth waiting for!

I was hesitant too. But I'm happy I upgraded. The only thing that I'm missing from 7.5 is my internet sharing feature. But I still have my Trophy, if I need the IS, all I have to do is put the Trophy back on my account. I'm running the Nokia 822 and I love it. You really can't tell how nice these phones are until you see them in person. WP8 is just going to keep getting better. I think you will be happy with either phone.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ugh. I'm debating with staying put with my Trophy (I NEED the hotspot feature) vs upgrading to te 8X. NOW I see more people talking about the 822 as well. Choices, choices, choices. One of the reasons why I HAVENT upgraded yet is the first production run issues. I'm hoping all those units will be gone by the time I am ready to upgrade. Did I mention I was due for a new one back in March?

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have no complaints about my Trophy. It's never given me any problems. I will upgrade her though. I'm in the waiting game. Being on Verizon and the rumors about the Samsung Odyssey which is supposed to be different than the Samsung ATIV S, I'm curious to see what that phone is like. So I wait for that or the Nokia 9xx possibly coming to Verizon also. If I don't get release dates for either of those, I'd mostly likely get the Nokia 822. I've played with the 8x and the 822 countless times. For my taste the 8x is a bit small in my hands. You can't go wrong with the expandable 822. Having said that, I continue the wait for my Trophy is rocking beta 7.8 and I'm loving it.

I am in the same boat. I have ad the Trophy for a little over a year coming from a touch pro two, prior to that imagio...sense a trend? I can't really complain about HTC, however the Nokia 822 in white is my next phone at this point. I really want to see what and where the Odyssey will fall feature and price wise. The SD card slot is the sway and I can't say that I have ever picked up the Trophy and ever complained to myself about the screen - size or resolution. While I have seen people dog the Trophy, I can't really dog it myself.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Trophy for 2-3 months :) My contract is going to end in a month so I'm probably going to upgrade to a Lumia 822

Hmm, Nokia may have some exciting things planned on the Verizon horizon, I'm holding off my 822 upgrade (to buy outright to retain unlimited and I can't wait until October) to see what is in store. If V gets a 920-ish phone with sd card I am hooked and sold.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Verizon trophy since launch day. For various reasons im really attached to it. I use it ALL THE TIME. I carry it everywhere with reckless regard and no protection, and its still in super good shape.

The only problem I've ever had with it is that it mysteriously wouldn't charge any batteries for about a week, but it seemed to fix itself. The only other complaint I have is the camera sucking in low light.

If I could upgrade the OS to wp8 I'd probably keep it till it broke, which at this rate would probably be several years. I look forward to seeing how 7.8 freshens it up tonight.

I think if I were to upgrade, id go for the lumia 620. It seems to be this generation's trophy. But cuter

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I also got my Trophy on launch day. I've been holding out for a 920-ish device to upgrade, but now I'm a little concerned about the Xbox music problems people are reporting.

Anyone that has already gone to WP8 have problems with it over the Zune experience? Especially podcasts?

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I am still debating what I will get next month when I can get a Windows 8 phone on Verizon. I will miss my Trophy seems like :)

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
My contract was over before I picked up my trophy (Craigslist). I figured I would sit tight until a Nokia high-end device came to big red. The 8x is a really nice device but I need an SD card to expand my memory past 16g. My trophy has already ran out of space on me once and I type this with only 1.6g left.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte