I got this phone from straight talk, however it says I have no updates, how do I update it so I can get 8.1 and use the developer app for it?

Sent from my HUAWEI H883G using Tapatalk
    04-20-2014 03:55 PM
    Anyone?

04-23-2014 03:49 PM
    Go to "search" in this app and type in "sign up for preview for developer". The article walks you thru every step. Sorry I don't know how to post a link
    04-23-2014 03:56 PM
    First of all get the latest wp8 update.

You need to make an account on app studio.

You can make it for free. Search for windows phone app studio on google. Then choose create a new project. Then enter your id which you are using on your phone.

Then download preview for developers app from the app store and use your windows id in it which you are using on your phone.

Then head on settings, phone update and check for updates. Now you can get the update.

In total you will get 3 updates including wp8.1 update if you have wp8.

------> Thank me, if my post is useful to you. <------
    mary beth hale likes this.
    04-23-2014 04:15 PM
    Won't allow me to create new project on the app studio app

04-23-2014 06:24 PM
    The preview for developers app keeps saying phone update needed

04-23-2014 06:28 PM
    I got it in my Lumia 920 but they disabled the update for W1
    Last edited by FearL0rd; 04-30-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    04-23-2014 07:09 PM
    Any work around for the W1?

04-23-2014 07:39 PM
    not yet :(
    04-23-2014 10:01 PM
    That sucks

04-24-2014 06:27 AM
    Ok, preview for developers says I need to upgrade my OS to 8.0.10322.722 or higher, my OS is 8.0.10233.422 any clue how to update it, so I can get preview for developers to work?

04-24-2014 03:19 PM
    The 8.1 update was disabled last week for Huawei users because of the 80188309 error. For more info, read this thread Windows Phone 8.1 Ascend W1 -&#62;80188309 - Microsoft Community
    04-30-2014 08:26 AM
    H883g and w1-u34, the same phone?

Sent from my NOKIA using Tapatalk
    05-25-2014 09:27 AM
    Below, please see the response that I received from Straight Talk (Also keep in mind that they ended the chat before I was done asking questions!!!)

Please wait while your chat is routed to the next available agent.

Catherine: Thank you for visiting Live Chat. My name is Catherine, how may I assist you today?

Barbara: I'm wondering when my Huawei H883g W1 Windows Phone will be able to receive the GDR2 and/or GDR3 update. I'm constantly checking for new updates and it keeps telling me my phone is up-to date.

Catherine: Please give me one moment to check your account.

Catherine: Please be advised that you can only update the software/firmware version of your phone once available.

Barbara: ok....when will it be available?

Catherine: We don’t have any specific dates, Barbara. Firmware updates are sometimes provided by a company as a way to fix bugs or introduce new functionality.

Barbara: There are other's who have the exact same phone I do and they've already updated to GDR3 and are ready and waiting for the Windows Phone 8.1 update

Catherine: We don't send software updates, Barbara. Please refer to your phone's manufacturer.

Catherine: If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact one of our customer care representatives at 1-877-430-CELL (2355). For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST. Thank you for chatting with Straight Talk Wireless. Have a good day.

Chat has ended

****UPDATE****

Here is another conversation that clearly give us an answer:

Please wait while your chat is routed to the next available agent.

Javier: Good day! My name is Javier. How can I help you today?

Barbara: Well, I was speaking to a lady named Catherine, but she ended the chat abruptly before I was finished with my questions

Barbara: Needless to say, I am very unhappy with the way i've been treated

Barbara: I wanted to know why I'm not able to update my phone to GDR2 and/or GDR3

Barbara: Other people with the exact same phone I have (with other service providers) have already updated their phones to GDR3 and are waiting to update to the Windows Phone 8.1

Barbara: Are you there?

Javier: yes.

Javier: Alloe me for a moment while check for that information

Barbara: ok

Ashley: Thank you for visiting Chat Support. My name is Ashley, how may I assist you today?

Barbara: Ok....now you're the third person that I have been moved to

Barbara: I wanted to know why I'm not able to update my phone to GDR2 and/or GDR3&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Other people with the exact same phone I have (with other service providers) have already updated their phones to GDR3 and are waiting to update to the Windows Phone 8.1

Ashley: We do not support that, Barbara.

Barbara: May I please ask why?

Ashley: Please refer to your phone's manufacturer.

Ashley: We don't have hold over those.

Barbara: I was told by Microsoft &amp; the people at Huawei that its up to the service providers

Ashley: We are only responsible for the phone to work in call, text, and browsing.

Barbara: So there is no plan to offer the updates?

Barbara: And also, if I wanted the update, could I purchase a new phone with the updates?

Ashley: Please refer to your phone's manufacturer.

Barbara: Do you offer phone with the new updates?

Barbara: ma'am?

Ashley: We don't, Barbara.

Barbara: oh....ok

Barbara: I'll be sure to pass along this info....Thank you very much for all your help.

Barbara: Have a great day :)
    07-30-2014 01:21 PM
    After several back and forth conversations with Microsoft about this problem I received this email below. I will be changing phones soon to a Galaxy 5 Android because this poor customer service from Microsoft should not be rewarded with continued patronage.

Here is what they wrote below:

I am e-mailing you in reference to the issue of not receiving the update to your phone. We have communicated these concerns with Straight Talk. Unfortunately, it does not look like we are able to influence their release of update 3 at this time.

I see you are already aware of your options and choices regarding this, so I'll spare you that list. We are going to go ahead and archive this case at this time. If you have any further questions or anything regarding this issue, feel free to reply to the e-mail and we'll address it as best we can.

Thank you for your patience in this matter. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

I thought Satya Nadella was taking a mobile first approach, obviously not.
    07-30-2014 09:52 PM
    Here is a transcript of my chat tonight with Straight Talk. I am in the process of compiling all this information to submit as high as I can get it in the Microsoft chain.

David : Why are you not offering updates for your Huawei H883G Windows Phone?
    Ruel: Hi David. Thank you for visiting Straight Talk Wireless.
    Ruel: Before I will answer your question, what updates are you referring?
    David : Update 3 for Windows 8 and ultimately the update that installs Windows Phone 8.1
    Ruel: I regret to inform you that Straight Talk Wireless does not allow updating or altering the Straight Talk phones' software.
    David : Is there a valid reason you can give for not supplying what amounts to health checks for the system? You are aware that there are fixable bugs within the Windows Phone Code that have been repaired by Microsoft?
    Ruel: One moment please...
    Ruel: No. It is in our Terms and Conditions of Service that altering the phone's software is not allowed or authorized.
    Ruel: To read Straight Talk's Terms and Conditions of Service, please go to Prepaid Cell Phones| Unlimited Mobile Plans | StraightTalk Wireless and click on "Terms and Conditions" at the bottom of the page.
    David : Are you able to explain why you would not repair faulty code within your operating system?
    Ruel: No.
    Ruel: We will only provide service to the phones.
    David : If I sold you a sandwich that was missing a component making the sandwich undesirable would you expect me to fix the sandwich that you paid for?
    Ruel: If the phone will not function properly and is still under the warranty, we will replace it.
    David : There are documented problems with the code in Windows Phone OS 8. These are problems you don't want to acknowledge?
    Ruel: One moment please...
    Ruel: Again, if you have problems on your phone and cannot be fixed on your end or by us through call or chat, we will replace it as long as it is under the warranty.
    Ruel: However, if you want to update its software, it is not possible.
    Ruel: If you have any further questions or concerns about this matter, please contact one of our customer care representatives at 1-877-430-2355. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST. Thank you for chatting with Straight Talk Wireless.
    David : I am confirming here in this chat that there are problems, they can only be resolved by supplying us with the updates that Microsoft has written. Giving a new phone with the same faulty code solves nothing.
    Ruel: As I have mentioned as well, we do not allow updating or altering the phone's software.
    Ruel has exited the session.
    You are the only user left in the session.
    07-31-2014 07:59 PM
    10-20-2014 08:34 PM
    10-20-2014 08:35 PM