Matebook: Tips and Tricks

Jessica H2

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
External Battery Tips?

Does anyone have an external battery that works with the Matebook USB-C? My Macbook derived solutions are failing.

It charges against its own charger and the Macbook 12 charger. It utterly ignores both the Anker E7 (which charges the macbook fine through the A to C cable) and the RAVPower 20100mAh (which also charges the macbook fine, directly via USB-C -- but does not charge the Matebook over C or over the A quickcharge w/converter). I'm reluctant to spend on more batteries after two failures.

This is a huge usability thing for me. I love the matebook due to its form factor but the lack of external battery options makes it a secondary to the macbook (at best). This would be true even if the matebook battery life were awesome (I run VMs for work). If there's a battery that has worked for others...anything...

If this is in the wrong part of the forum please move or delete as needed -- I figured an external battery is definitely a tip and a trick...

Alex Lander

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: External Battery Tips?

I'm suffering from this too... and it looks like there's no power bank that would work with the Matebook :(
Here's what Huawei says about it:
---- Can I use the power bank for my phone to charge the MateBook?
---- No, because the MateBook uses the PD quick charging protocol, which is currently not supported by any power banks on the market.
@ http://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/faqs/detail/index.htm?id=98810

Bryan Lucas

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck on the portable battery front? I've been looking and I just don't see anything that has the same V/A combinations as the charger included charger.

I noticed that the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 has a USB C port built in. It says"Capable of charging the new MacBook at 5V/2.4A" and my MateBook charger says 5V/2A, 9V/2A, and 12V/2A. It looks like it could possibly meet the low end charging of the MateBook.

Alex Lander

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi Brian,
Unfortunately Anker PowerCore+ 20100 doesn't work with the Matebook and actually no portable batteries will work because Matebook will only charge from a source that provides 12V/2A output (based on what I've learned from the Huawei support). I hope they design/release a brand new power bank supporting the Matebook soon....
by the way - just in case you need it, Jessica said that it will charge from Macbook 12 in-wall charger, and I was able to test and confirm it. This is in case you need a spare charger.

James Marsh

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
The RAVPower 26800mAh backup battery is stated on Amazon to feature USB Power Delivery, which is the missing feature that Huawei support identified previously. According to a video on Youtube the RAVPower 26800 mAh backup battery appears to work with the Matebook. The video is in Chinese so there is a chance the guy is saying something else but the visuals certainly seem calculated to give the impression it charges the Matebook. I am seriously considering buying one (as I sit here in another neighbourhood wide power black out predicted to last 24 hours, in this formerly first world city).

Alex Lander

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the update! The video looks promising, hope it's not fake :)
Please keep us in the loop on this, I'll buy one if it works with the Matebook :)

Thoughts:
The RAVPower 26800mAh is capable of 5v output only while (I think) the Matebook wants more, and I would better consider this https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-230...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3617980 one which looks more universal based on its description.

Last edited:

zairich

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the update! The video looks promising, hope it's not fake :)
Please keep us in the loop on this, I'll buy one if it works with the Matebook :)

Thoughts:
The RAVPower 26800mAh is capable of 5v output only while (I think) the Matebook wants more, and I would better consider this https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-230...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3627844 one which looks more universal based on its description.

IINM there are two version of RAVPower 26800, one with USB-PD support and the other without USB-PD (means only 5V output). really hope somebody could verify that USB-PD version is working with matebook because i'm planning to buy one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRQDAEI

for 23000mAh, eventhough it have a desirable voltage, it might not work because it will require adapter.

Zephnath

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
For those looking for an extra power adapter, I have tried several but these two are definitely the best I have tried thus far.

These work well with or without the MateDock. I was able to use it reliably to power an external HDD, flashdrive, and maintain charging on the tablet.

http://a.co/8Yzj182 30W QC 3.0 +Type-C/PD Wall Charger
This one is close to the size of the OEM charger.

http://a.co/0geQWgm
This one is large, large than I was expecting. But it does the job and provides an added USB charging port.

TechnoMax

May 1, 2017
Visit site
It seems that the new Anker powerbank could do the trick:
Anker PowerCore+ 26800mAh Powerbank
Available at Amazon
On a leading German Tech Site they quote Anker: "Das Huawei Matebook ist in 1 Stunde und 42 Minuten aufgeladen." Some 15 minutes faster than with the original charger as I read elsewhere

karle2403

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
I can confirme that the RAVPOWER XTREME 26800MAH TYPE-C POWERBANK actually charges the huawei matebook 5^^
I just got mine in the mail and it is charging my matebook=)

TechnoMax

May 1, 2017
Visit site
Does anybody know an USB-C hub with Power Delivery that can power an attached Matebook? A lot of the available ones even cannot charge Mac Books but Matebooks are never mentioned. Before I spend another €50 I would like to know of course.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)