05-14-2014 11:50 PM
75 123
tools
    Since the anti-trust act it's been an uphill battle and IE 6-8 didn't help. That said, no way I'm dealing with the memory leaks of FF or the data mining resource hog Chrome.
    Cryio likes this.
    02-13-2014 11:56 AM
    Since the anti-trust act it's been an uphill battle and IE 6-8 didn't help. That said, no way I'm dealing with the memory leaks of FF or the data mining resource hog Chrome.
    But they're a lot better now than before. Hating Microsoft for past wrongs is just ... wrong.
    02-13-2014 12:01 PM
    the only thing i like about chrome is word wrap. I never browse on full screen because I multitask so I like it in a smaller window about 2/3 of screen size so I can quickly access other things in the background like skype and games also it allows me to quickly click one of my games in the background running at full screen windows mode just in case somebody walks if you know what im saying or because i suck at gaming and usually looking up walkthrus and guides.

With IE even with setting the text bigger size if the window is not maximized the words will not wrap so I have to scroll left or right to read also some websites uses different size fonts so I have to increase magnification, with chrome it will save settings for specific page and not all pages but IE seems to do it for every page.
    02-13-2014 12:03 PM
    But they're a lot better now than before. Hating Microsoft for past wrongs is just ... wrong.
    Totally agree, I will only use IE.
    Cryio likes this.
    02-13-2014 12:03 PM
    My experience is there were a lot more compatibility issues with older versions of IE. It was considered less HTML 5 compliant. It still trails other browsers though not by much. My company uses a site based on Wordpress, and with this there are numerous (hundreds if not thousands of) compatibility issues. In all fairness, there are some differences between all browsers. In fact there are compatibility issues that go the other way. That is they work in IE but not <fill in the blank with browser name>. Here is one site that provides a comparison:

HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

I have no idea what is behind the numbers except it is a test in a number of different areas related to HTML 5.

The current version is much better. This is conversation for geeks. The typical user out there does not care. They just want to access their email, bank, etc. I have a relative that called me up one day and say "I have to upgrade my Internet. What should I do?". Adoption of Chrome is related to Google's site. Their search engine and free email is popular and they push their browser there. IMHO Chrome is a resource hog.

If a developer is claiming that their thingy does not work with IE, then that is an indication that they are not using MS tools. Not good or bad. Just an indication.
    02-13-2014 04:33 PM
    My experience is there were a lot more compatibility issues with older versions of IE. It was considered less HTML 5 compliant. It still trails other browsers though not by much. My company uses a site based on Wordpress, and with this there are numerous (hundreds if not thousands of) compatibility issues. In all fairness, there are some differences between all browsers. In fact there are compatibility issues that go the other way. That is they work in IE but not <fill in the blank with browser name>. Here is one site that provides a comparison:

I have no idea what is behind the numbers except it is a test in a number of different areas related to HTML 5.

The current version is much better. This is conversation for geeks. The typical user out there does not care. They just want to access their email, bank, etc. I have a relative that called me up one day and say "I have to upgrade my Internet. What should I do?". Adoption of Chrome is related to Google's site. Their search engine and free email is popular and they push their browser there. IMHO Chrome is a resource hog.

If a developer is claiming that their thingy does not work with IE, then that is an indication that they are not using MS tools. Not good or bad. Just an indication.
    Why do people think that site means anything? It doesn't. Unless you're going to tell me the importance of having every method of rendering the <video> tag.
    a5cent and Cryio like this.
    02-13-2014 04:44 PM

Yeah, I agree with Michael. That test is pretty much worthless. You can't condense something as complicated as HTML5 compatibility, which up until very recently wasn't even a final standard (what version of the draft standard is the test testing?), into a single number. Obviously, that is what consumers want, as it is at least something to go by that doesn't actually require learning, but it is a bit of a joke.
    02-13-2014 05:10 PM
    Yeah, I agree with Michael. That test is pretty much worthless. You can't condense something as complicated as HTML5 compatibility, which up until very recently wasn't even a final standard (what version of the draft standard is the test testing?), into a single number. Obviously, that is what consumers want, as it is at least something to go by that doesn't actually require learning, but it is a bit of a joke.
    lol don't tell that to people on Crackberry. They live and die by that html5 test as to one of their killer features and one they continually use to tell us why, apparently, people love blackberry and hate us, I don't understand their reasoning (or frankly their sanity), but I'm sure a few of them will just have a stroke if you tell them that the test isn't very accurate.

I completely agree though, this is just like benchmark tests that supposedly say the S4 is better than the 5S yet the 5S is still nearly lag-free while the S4 is well.... Yeah...
    a5cent likes this.
    02-14-2014 05:35 PM
    lol don't tell that to people on Crackberry. They live and die by that html5 test as to one of their killer features and one they continually use to tell us why, apparently, people love blackberry and hate us, I don't understand their reasoning (or frankly their sanity), but I'm sure a few of them will just have a stroke if you tell them that the test isn't very accurate.

I completely agree though, this is just like benchmark tests that supposedly say the S4 is better than the 5S yet the 5S is still nearly lag-free while the S4 is well.... Yeah...
    I didn't know anyone took that test so seriously.

I'd say the test is extremely accurate however... it tells you exactly how good the HTML5test runs on a particular browser. What I would find far more interesting, is a statistic showing us what percentage of actual/real websites can each web browser render correctly without issues, and in what time.

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of synthetic tests like this either, but some can still be useful. They simply need to be very narrowly defined, be very specific about what they are testing and explain how they do it. The number a benchmark spits out really should be associated with a unit, for example milliseconds. If it's a vague number that is only meaningful relative to another number generated by the same benchmark, then it is pretty much meaningless without further study and interpretation. Often times it's worthless.

Otherwise, the only benchmarking tools that are worth using are actual end-user software packages. For example, PC hardware review sites will often test graphics cards using actual games. That does tell us something useful.
    02-14-2014 06:18 PM
    I didn't know anyone took that test so seriously.

I'd say the test is extremely accurate however... it tells you exactly how good the HTML5test runs on a particular browser. What I would find far more interesting, is a statistic showing us what percentage of actual/real websites can each web browser render correctly without issues, and in what time.

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of synthetic tests like this either, but some can still be useful. They simply need to be very narrowly defined, be very specific about what they are testing and explain how they do it. The number a benchmark spits out really should be associated with a unit, for example milliseconds. If it's a vague number that is only meaningful relative to another number generated by the same benchmark, then it is pretty much meaningless without further study and interpretation. Often times it's worthless.

Otherwise, the only benchmarking tools that are worth using are actual end-user software packages. For example, PC hardware review sites will often test graphics cards using actual games. That does tell us something useful.
    People who hate Microsoft take it seriously, as well as people who like Chrome. Because those two people can use that site to fuel their preconceived notions.
    02-15-2014 09:49 AM
    People who hate Microsoft take it seriously, as well as people who like Chrome. Because those two people can use that site to fuel their preconceived notions.
    The flip side applies as well. People who love Microsoft and hate Chrome say it's worthless.
    02-15-2014 09:57 AM
    The most common reason is extensions/addons. If IE had the support that Chrome/FF does I would likely use it. But it doesn't, so I use Chrome. End of story.
    02-15-2014 10:02 AM
    The flip side applies as well. People who love Microsoft and hate Chrome say it's worthless.
    I don't think Chrome is worthless, I just don't see it as being as great as some people seem to think. It can do a lot more things, but it doesn't seem to do them as well. It has flash built in, but for some reason their implementation uses more resources. It does HTML5, but YouTube HTML5 loads faster and with better resolution under IE or Safari for me. It just always felt to me like Google throws things at the wall in terms of features into a lot of their products and then slowly tries to get them working well.
    02-15-2014 10:08 AM
    I don't think Chrome is worthless, I just don't see it as being as great as some people seem to think. It can do a lot more things, but it doesn't seem to do them as well. It has flash built in, but for some reason their implementation uses more resources. It does HTML5, but YouTube HTML5 loads faster and with better resolution under IE or Safari for me. It just always felt to me like Google throws things at the wall in terms of features into a lot of their products and then slowly tries to get them working well.
    I'm wasn't trying to dispute what you're saying or say that one browser is better than another. What I meant was that we tend to embrace what we agree with, and disregard what we don't agree with. That's basically what you said too!

So let's say you prefer IE and I prefer Chrome. You're going to say that the site is incorrect & worthless, and I'm going to say it's spot on. Reality has little to do with it.
    02-15-2014 10:18 AM
    The thing IE doesn't have is developer support. Both from Microsoft (they better speed up the development of IE12), and third-party devs.

IE Add-Ons have the capability to be more powerful than Browser Extensions, but devs simply don't tale advantage of this.
    02-15-2014 10:27 AM
    Probably, but at least in my case that is not true. From a technical perspective I think Chrome is great. I just don't want software from an advertising company on my PC. That is all.

I have my principles when it comes to benchmarking, where I think I am quite consistent. The points I made about this benchmark are valid for any benchmark. Whether the results are pro or contra MS or Google is irrelevant.
    tgp and WanderingTraveler like this.
    02-15-2014 10:43 AM
    I don't like Google at all, but that doesn't mean Chrome is trash*. The same way that I'd admit Google Now is actually pretty slick, Google search>Bing (sometimes), and that Google Maps is practically unbearable right now.

I still wouldn't use any Google stuff, though,

(*)It's horrible for my laptop battery. I get better battery life out of Firefox and IE.
    02-15-2014 10:50 AM
    I'm another that used to stay away from IE. It was all Firefox and Chrome for me. Now I have shifted to IE most of the time. I still like the Firefox navigation better but IE has come a long way.
    02-15-2014 11:07 AM
    I'm wasn't trying to dispute what you're saying or say that one browser is better than another. What I meant was that we tend to embrace what we agree with, and disregard what we don't agree with. That's basically what you said too!

So let's say you prefer IE and I prefer Chrome. You're going to say that the site is incorrect & worthless, and I'm going to say it's spot on. Reality has little to do with it.
    No, for me reality has everything to do with it.

Please do not impose your apparent biases onto me.

I will admit the site is getting better, though.
    02-15-2014 11:18 AM
    02-15-2014 01:27 PM
    IE all the way. The hatred of people stems from IEs before IE10. I hated it then too. Outside perhaps some plugins, there's no reason to use something else as a default.
    02-15-2014 01:33 PM
    If you read the article, you'd know that the infectious code was ... Adobe Flash code.
    02-15-2014 01:41 PM
    If you read the article, you'd know that the infectious code was ... Adobe Flash code.
    Not the way I read it...
    02-15-2014 04:40 PM
    I have a lot of compatiablity issues with every browser. Internet Explorer sometimes is the worst.

I find Google Chrome to be the browser with less issues. I also find that Chrome performs better on Android than IE does on Windows Phone.
    02-15-2014 04:43 PM
    Thanks for the input; I often hear IE put down and I have no issue with it. Seems like there are some features that it is missing (sync). But overall, it sounds like people just love to hate MS.
    I think IE's problem was several versions ago. Back in the day IE didn't have competition, and it was pretty bad. When other options came along users switched for a better experience. Since other browsers such as Firefox, Opera, and Chrome have come on the scene Microsoft has really stepped up their game with IE. The last couple versions are very good. It still lacks plugins & sync, but it works very well.
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    02-15-2014 08:09 PM
75 123