05-15-2014 12:50 AM
75 123
tools
    Not the way I read it...
    Security firm FireEye Inc. discovered the attacks against IE 10 this week, saying that hundreds or thousands of machines have been infected. It said the culprits broke into the website of U.S. Veterans of Foreign Wars and inserted a link that redirected visitors to a malicious web page that contained the infectious code in Adobe Systems Inc.’s Flash software.

It's because of infected Flash code.

I have a lot of compatiablity issues with every browser. Internet Explorer sometimes is the worst.

I find Google Chrome to be the browser with less issues. I also find that Chrome performs better on Android than IE does on Windows Phone.
    Yeah, that's the biggest problem with how Microsoft does IE on mobile. Chrome is default these days, but it's still another app. They can upgrade it more.

I think IE's problem was several versions ago. Back in the day IE didn't have competition, and it was pretty bad. When other options came along users switched for a better experience. Since other browsers such as Firefox, Opera, and Chrome have come on the scene Microsoft has really stepped up their game with IE. The last couple versions are very good. It still lacks plugins & sync, but it works very well.
    Yeah, lack of sync can be annoying.
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    02-16-2014 02:54 PM
    As a web developer, IE is a nightmare. It is always the case that the website application works perfectly in every browser but looks odd on IE. We then start writing special css and custom javascripts directed to IE to make it work. It then became a standard and common to hate IE regardless of what ever improvement they do. It will always feel lackluster, buggy or broken.

I tried to use it for a while, almost half of the websites didn't work properly (some third class websites with tons of ads and popups). In short, it always fails... maybe for mainstream websites it works great.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-16-2014 03:52 PM
    I never seem to have issues developing for IE, Chrome and Safari. 99.9% of the time everything between the latest browers always seem to work. Now I remember the days of Netscape and IE, that was a nightmare.
    02-16-2014 04:15 PM
    As a web developer, IE is a nightmare. It is always the case that the website application works perfectly in every browser but looks odd on IE. We then start writing special css and custom javascripts directed to IE to make it work. It then became a standard and common to hate IE regardless of what ever improvement they do. It will always feel lackluster, buggy or broken.

I tried to use it for a while, almost half of the websites didn't work properly (some third class websites with tons of ads and popups). In short, it always fails... maybe for mainstream websites it works great.
    thanks for the dev input. This is a major problem, I can't see why MS wouldn't correct this. If devs don't use the browser (or develop for it) then it won't ever be able to win market share.
    02-16-2014 04:16 PM
    I switched over to IE when I started using Win8.1 on a touch hybrid system. Chrome just doesn't work well with touch and high dpi displays.

And as a developer I have no issues between IE and Chrome. I'm not sure where all the difficulty is coming from.
    02-16-2014 04:21 PM
    I try to use IE as much as possible. IE 10 and 11 have been huge improvements. But there are problems with it that make me scratch my head. For instance, when I used remote desktop on my surface pro for the first time, IE blocked/hid some popups that required acknowledgement. I could get it to work regardless what I changed in the settings and security. As soon as I downloaded chrome, no problems. I could check off the boxes, trust the sites, etc...and move along with my business. I'm aggravated that my MS browser couldn't finalize my connection using my MS application on my MS tablet. That, imo, is unsat.
    02-16-2014 04:27 PM

Would you say third party sites, smaller sites, have a problem because of IE or because people are starting to code more to quirks? We know that Firefox is catering to WebKit quirks, so there's that. Opera has Blink, which is WebKit with some changes, and so does Chrome. Safari has normal WebKit.
    02-16-2014 04:27 PM
    No I just ran a test against PaleMoon(a lighter FF). here are my results memtest.png That's a single webpage opened(no tabs) for each browser
    04-16-2014 09:22 PM
    I prefer Chrome. I've used all of the other browsers and it's been the fastest. Opera is by far the worst IMO. Flash fails to load.
    04-17-2014 04:24 PM
    There is only one thing that I found it good at. That was downloading another browser.
    04-17-2014 04:27 PM
    There is only one thing that I found it good at. That was downloading another browser.
    Two posts in the span of less than five minutes, and a name that has iOS in it.

I'm shocked to know you don'r like IE :|
    04-22-2014 07:41 PM
    Yikes that's kinda sounds like any hater would say because they hate ie in general :/

Sent from my iPod touch using WPCentral Forums
    04-22-2014 08:13 PM
    Yikes that's kinda sounds like any hater would say because they hate ie in general :/

Thinking about it...

neo158 likes this.
    04-22-2014 08:16 PM
    That used to be a decent joke, but it's really beginning to become old and overused
    sahib lopez likes this.
    04-22-2014 08:32 PM
    That used to be a decent joke, but it's really beginning to become old and overused
    And also not a true statement anymore

neo158 and berty6294 like this.
    04-22-2014 08:35 PM
    Would you say third party sites, smaller sites, have a problem because of IE or because people are starting to code more to quirks? We know that Firefox is catering to WebKit quirks, so there's that. Opera has Blink, which is WebKit with some changes, and so does Chrome. Safari has normal WebKit.
    I thought that was always the reason, every browser except IE supports or utilizes webkit.
    04-23-2014 08:14 PM
    IE tends to stay with accepted web standards.

There are some web developers that don't like web standards, so they want to use features that are not accepted standards. These features may be supported in Chrome or Firefox. But they are not supported in IE because IE is used in a lot of government offices, so they won't put stuff in there unless it has been fully vetted.

So by "inferior" it depends what you mean. Is it less capable when dealing with sites that aren't made to accepted web standards? Yes.

But is it more secure because of that? Yes.
    sahib lopez, James8561 and neo158 like this.
    04-23-2014 08:31 PM
    IE tends to stay with accepted web standards.

There are some web developers that don't like web standards, so they want to use features that are not accepted standards. These features may be supported in Chrome or Firefox. But they are not supported in IE because IE is used in a lot of government offices, so they won't put stuff in there unless it has been fully vetted.

So by "inferior" it depends what you mean. Is it less capable when dealing with sites that aren't made to accepted web standards? Yes.

But is it more secure because of that? Yes.
    Kind of funny when you consider that the big knock on IE was it's lack of support for standards. Now the others' try and blaze that path and get praised for it by many. People are funny that way, their views are determined more by what they're told than what they know.
    neo158 and xandros9 like this.
    04-23-2014 08:37 PM
    I thought that was always the reason, every browser except IE supports or utilizes webkit.
    That should not be acceptable. Why is it acceptable now when it wasn't acceptable in the early 2000's with IE6? People throw around that it's because WebKit is OSS and that anyone could fork it ... but only Google has. And even then, they're still keeping it able to see the WebKit quirks. So, in the end, we're still coding to the quirks of a certain rendering engine.
    04-24-2014 11:00 AM
    I keep trying other browsers, but IE11 is so much faster and reliable than other browsers. May not have been the case with previous versions, but 11 is such a huge step forward! Its just icing on the cake that it syncs with my phone and tablet too :P
    04-24-2014 12:30 PM
    Kind of funny when you consider that the big knock on IE was it's lack of support for standards. Now the others' try and blaze that path and get praised for it by many. People are funny that way, their views are determined more by what they're told than what they know.
    What's even more funny is that the stuff that now comes to HTML5 and CSS3 was originaly planned years ago, and IE6 supported it very well, until Mozilla came along and yelled: "We don't want this!" and it was to late for Microsoft to rewrite everything they did in IE6. Which is basicaly the story that kicked of the IE hate.
    05-02-2014 09:46 AM
    To tell you the truth the way that you have to program for it in CSS REALLY sucks. That is because there is 3 different IE systems of layout. On the other hand, Chrome, Opera and Safari all use the same layout and Firefox is ever so slightly different that you can mostly just copy-paste your code. So from a web developers perspective it really sucks to have to program for it. Also lots of people hate it because they can't get over how bad it USED to be.
    From a consumer's perspective, however, the major problem with the W8 version is nobody knows how to use it. I know allot about W8 before I got it, so it was fine to use for me, but when I use a browser, I am primarily surfing with Work on the other side of my screen, and that isn't possible in W8. Now that 8.1 was come out, it is totally possible to do, but I already use Torch Browser for all my main data consumption. To tell you the truth I think I even uninstalled IE. One of the reasons I use Torch is because it is a Chromium browser. This means it has every feature of Google Chrome (another Chromium browser). It also features download buttons for all content, a free torrent down loader, a share button, and panels where you can share anything on the web by dragging and dropping. The downloads are auto-accelerated by splitting into multiple parts. It is in general very awesome.
    Personally, I don't care what browser you use because as of W8.1 there is basically no speed difference that is noticeable on mid to high grade machines. Also W8.1 allows for screen splitting in a custom ratio, so that eliminates the problem I wrote of above.
    Allot of people are also religiously against Bing, which I don't get because Bing is my search engine of choice. If you use it, you can even get paid (I have earned $15 no joke).
    So the main problem boils down to people not generally liking Microsofts products even when they are the same or better.
    05-02-2014 10:16 AM
    To tell you the truth the way that you have to program for it in CSS REALLY sucks. That is because there is 3 different IE systems of layout. On the other hand, Chrome, Opera and Safari all use the same layout and Firefox is ever so slightly different that you can mostly just copy-paste your code. So from a web developers perspective it really sucks to have to program for it. Also lots of people hate it because they can't get over how bad it USED to be.
    From a consumer's perspective, however, the major problem with the W8 version is nobody knows how to use it. I know allot about W8 before I got it, so it was fine to use for me, but when I use a browser, I am primarily surfing with Work on the other side of my screen, and that isn't possible in W8. Now that 8.1 was come out, it is totally possible to do, but I already use Torch Browser for all my main data consumption. To tell you the truth I think I even uninstalled IE. One of the reasons I use Torch is because it is a Chromium browser. This means it has every feature of Google Chrome (another Chromium browser). It also features download buttons for all content, a free torrent down loader, a share button, and panels where you can share anything on the web by dragging and dropping. The downloads are auto-accelerated by splitting into multiple parts. It is in general very awesome.
    Personally, I don't care what browser you use because as of W8.1 there is basically no speed difference that is noticeable on mid to high grade machines. Also W8.1 allows for screen splitting in a custom ratio, so that eliminates the problem I wrote of above.
    Allot of people are also religiously against Bing, which I don't get because Bing is my search engine of choice. If you use it, you can even get paid (I have earned $15 no joke).
    So the main problem boils down to people not generally liking Microsofts products even when they are the same or better.
    Most people don't dislike Microsoft or like it. :\
    05-03-2014 09:57 AM
    We had to tell users to stop downloading chrome at work. Most of them didn't know it while doing an upgrade and didn't uncheck the box. But we found out that when it loaded, those computers dropped all their mapped drives and network printer connection. Uninstalled chrome and it was fine.
    Did you ever find the cause of the network disconnect issues? Never heard of that and I work in a health system environment with alot of custom stuff going on which requires different browsers at times.
    05-14-2014 11:19 PM
    We had to tell users to stop downloading chrome at work. Most of them didn't know it while doing an upgrade and didn't uncheck the box. But we found out that when it loaded, those computers dropped all their mapped drives and network printer connection. Uninstalled chrome and it was fine. So it's not allowed and if there is a site that IE just won't work on, they can have firefox installed.
    I never heard of that happening with Chrome. I work in a corporate environment (using Windows Server), and I also work in support for many clients. A lot of us at work, and our customers as well, use Firefox and/or Chrome. I personally use IE at work only for our SSRS reports. They don't work well with other browsers. I can view them on Chrome, but I can't print them other than using the browser's print function, which doesn't render them correctly.
    05-15-2014 12:50 AM
75 123