Is IE inferior?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
IE's problem is that the public perception that it sucks is really deep and will be hard to uproot.
It could be literally the best, fastest, safest, miracle browser, and few will look its way.
I had a friend testing some webpage on multiple browsers and he won't even try IE/IE mobile.....

......It's decent, a lot better than the days of IE 6, or even 8.

Agree 100% with this. Maybe arguments could be made it isn't the best out there, but performance wise it is a joy to use. I think past performance is dragging down current opinions on it. That, of course, is MS's own fault. But like most everything else associated with Microsoft, there is a public resentment in some circles that will be a few years in the making to repair.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
We had to tell users to stop downloading chrome at work. Most of them didn't know it while doing an upgrade and didn't uncheck the box. But we found out that when it loaded, those computers dropped all their mapped drives and network printer connection. Uninstalled chrome and it was fine. So it's not allowed and if there is a site that IE just won't work on, they can have firefox installed.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input; I often hear IE put down and I have no issue with it. Seems like there are some features that it is missing (sync). But overall, it sounds like people just love to hate MS.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Since the anti-trust act it's been an uphill battle and IE 6-8 didn't help. That said, no way I'm dealing with the memory leaks of FF or the data mining resource hog Chrome.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
the only thing i like about chrome is word wrap. I never browse on full screen because I multitask so I like it in a smaller window about 2/3 of screen size so I can quickly access other things in the background like skype and games also it allows me to quickly click one of my games in the background running at full screen windows mode just in case somebody walks if you know what im saying or because i suck at gaming and usually looking up walkthrus and guides.

With IE even with setting the text bigger size if the window is not maximized the words will not wrap so I have to scroll left or right to read also some websites uses different size fonts so I have to increase magnification, with chrome it will save settings for specific page and not all pages but IE seems to do it for every page.

davebolton

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
My experience is there were a lot more compatibility issues with older versions of IE. It was considered less HTML 5 compliant. It still trails other browsers though not by much. My company uses a site based on Wordpress, and with this there are numerous (hundreds if not thousands of) compatibility issues. In all fairness, there are some differences between all browsers. In fact there are compatibility issues that go the other way. That is they work in IE but not <fill in the blank with browser name>. Here is one site that provides a comparison:

HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

I have no idea what is behind the numbers except it is a test in a number of different areas related to HTML 5.

The current version is much better. This is conversation for geeks. The typical user out there does not care. They just want to access their email, bank, etc. I have a relative that called me up one day and say "I have to upgrade my Internet. What should I do?". Adoption of Chrome is related to Google's site. Their search engine and free email is popular and they push their browser there. IMHO Chrome is a resource hog.

If a developer is claiming that their thingy does not work with IE, then that is an indication that they are not using MS tools. Not good or bad. Just an indication.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
My experience is there were a lot more compatibility issues with older versions of IE. It was considered less HTML 5 compliant. It still trails other browsers though not by much. My company uses a site based on Wordpress, and with this there are numerous (hundreds if not thousands of) compatibility issues. In all fairness, there are some differences between all browsers. In fact there are compatibility issues that go the other way. That is they work in IE but not <fill in the blank with browser name>. Here is one site that provides a comparison:

I have no idea what is behind the numbers except it is a test in a number of different areas related to HTML 5.

The current version is much better. This is conversation for geeks. The typical user out there does not care. They just want to access their email, bank, etc. I have a relative that called me up one day and say "I have to upgrade my Internet. What should I do?". Adoption of Chrome is related to Google's site. Their search engine and free email is popular and they push their browser there. IMHO Chrome is a resource hog.

If a developer is claiming that their thingy does not work with IE, then that is an indication that they are not using MS tools. Not good or bad. Just an indication.

Why do people think that site means anything? It doesn't. Unless you're going to tell me the importance of having every method of rendering the <video> tag.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I agree with Michael. That test is pretty much worthless. You can't condense something as complicated as HTML5 compatibility, which up until very recently wasn't even a final standard (what version of the draft standard is the test testing?), into a single number. Obviously, that is what consumers want, as it is at least something to go by that doesn't actually require learning, but it is a bit of a joke.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I agree with Michael. That test is pretty much worthless. You can't condense something as complicated as HTML5 compatibility, which up until very recently wasn't even a final standard (what version of the draft standard is the test testing?), into a single number. Obviously, that is what consumers want, as it is at least something to go by that doesn't actually require learning, but it is a bit of a joke.

lol don't tell that to people on Crackberry. They live and die by that html5 test as to one of their killer features and one they continually use to tell us why, apparently, people love blackberry and hate us, I don't understand their reasoning (or frankly their sanity), but I'm sure a few of them will just have a stroke if you tell them that the test isn't very accurate.

I completely agree though, this is just like benchmark tests that supposedly say the S4 is better than the 5S yet the 5S is still nearly lag-free while the S4 is well.... Yeah...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
lol don't tell that to people on Crackberry. They live and die by that html5 test as to one of their killer features and one they continually use to tell us why, apparently, people love blackberry and hate us, I don't understand their reasoning (or frankly their sanity), but I'm sure a few of them will just have a stroke if you tell them that the test isn't very accurate.

I completely agree though, this is just like benchmark tests that supposedly say the S4 is better than the 5S yet the 5S is still nearly lag-free while the S4 is well.... Yeah...

I didn't know anyone took that test so seriously.

I'd say the test is extremely accurate however... it tells you exactly how good the HTML5test runs on a particular browser. :amaze: What I would find far more interesting, is a statistic showing us what percentage of actual/real websites can each web browser render correctly without issues, and in what time.

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of synthetic tests like this either, but some can still be useful. They simply need to be very narrowly defined, be very specific about what they are testing and explain how they do it. The number a benchmark spits out really should be associated with a unit, for example milliseconds. If it's a vague number that is only meaningful relative to another number generated by the same benchmark, then it is pretty much meaningless without further study and interpretation. Often times it's worthless.

Otherwise, the only benchmarking tools that are worth using are actual end-user software packages. For example, PC hardware review sites will often test graphics cards using actual games. That does tell us something useful.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know anyone took that test so seriously.

I'd say the test is extremely accurate however... it tells you exactly how good the HTML5test runs on a particular browser. :amaze: What I would find far more interesting, is a statistic showing us what percentage of actual/real websites can each web browser render correctly without issues, and in what time.

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of synthetic tests like this either, but some can still be useful. They simply need to be very narrowly defined, be very specific about what they are testing and explain how they do it. The number a benchmark spits out really should be associated with a unit, for example milliseconds. If it's a vague number that is only meaningful relative to another number generated by the same benchmark, then it is pretty much meaningless without further study and interpretation. Often times it's worthless.

Otherwise, the only benchmarking tools that are worth using are actual end-user software packages. For example, PC hardware review sites will often test graphics cards using actual games. That does tell us something useful.

People who hate Microsoft take it seriously, as well as people who like Chrome. Because those two people can use that site to fuel their preconceived notions.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The flip side applies as well. People who love Microsoft and hate Chrome say it's worthless. :eck:

I don't think Chrome is worthless, I just don't see it as being as great as some people seem to think. It can do a lot more things, but it doesn't seem to do them as well. It has flash built in, but for some reason their implementation uses more resources. It does HTML5, but YouTube HTML5 loads faster and with better resolution under IE or Safari for me. It just always felt to me like Google throws things at the wall in terms of features into a lot of their products and then slowly tries to get them working well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Chrome is worthless, I just don't see it as being as great as some people seem to think. It can do a lot more things, but it doesn't seem to do them as well. It has flash built in, but for some reason their implementation uses more resources. It does HTML5, but YouTube HTML5 loads faster and with better resolution under IE or Safari for me. It just always felt to me like Google throws things at the wall in terms of features into a lot of their products and then slowly tries to get them working well.

I'm wasn't trying to dispute what you're saying or say that one browser is better than another. What I meant was that we tend to embrace what we agree with, and disregard what we don't agree with. That's basically what you said too!

So let's say you prefer IE and I prefer Chrome. You're going to say that the site is incorrect & worthless, and I'm going to say it's spot on. Reality has little to do with it.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The thing IE doesn't have is developer support. Both from Microsoft (they better speed up the development of IE12), and third-party devs.

IE Add-Ons have the capability to be more powerful than Browser Extensions, but devs simply don't tale advantage of this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb