Microsoft drops XP, so this means MS drops IE6 ... but ...

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
( I didn't know where to write this, so here goes)

Todays Windows XP received its last wave of updates. As of today, Microsoft no longer support Windows XP in any way, neither does it support IE6 or Office 2003.

Now, I have a few questions regarding this, most for my curiosity mainly, since no one seems to clarify this. Internet Explorer 7 & 8 still run on XP, as do Office 2007 SP3 and Office 2010 SP2.

We pretty much know Microsoft said that Security Essentials will still be updated for the near future. But what about the other stuff that's still officially supported on Vista, 7 and 8? Do they still get updated on XP as well or do they remain as they are today?

In retrospective about the ideea of "MS maybe will still support IE8 in XP", I think it will be a total bi*ch for various websites to support IE8 until 2020 (because of W7). I think it would be common sense, now that XP is retired, for ALL websites/companies to use AT LEAST IE9, but since companies hate change and since they are comfy in their XP world, they'll get W7 and never upgrade from IE8,

My questions + my 2 cents.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
vista, 7 and 8 run on different internal hardware specs right? plus MS already said that they have no one working on anything XP-related... XP won't die, but it will bleed out :p anyone that still has XP can still use it, but there will be no more innovations for that system.. in simple terms "XP is a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean without an engine and captain" lol

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
XP will no longer get any support so software that still gets supported by Vista, Win 7 and 8 will be supported for those but no more support will be given to XP.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I thought the "die IE7" chanting started already this Thursday. Man, these pre IE9 versions are keeping the internet back. Arguably pre IE10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720