03-17-2015 11:53 AM
52 123
tools
    No, I didn't say it should be named Internet Explorer 12, but that it would it basically be that, but with another name. I'd name it something flashy or in line with Bing or something.
    Well we will have to disagree, there's nothing wrong with the IE name except it's perception by so called experts. Your "webdev-friends" sound, to me at least, like they have no knowledge of the area they are supposed to have expertise in. As a web developer you don't just test using one or two browsers but in the three, four if you include Opera, major browsers that are available.
    05-10-2014 08:20 PM
    Well we will have to disagree, there's nothing wrong with the IE name except it's perception by so called experts. Your "webdev-friends" sound, to me at least, like they have no knowledge of the area they are supposed to have expertise in. As a web developer you don't just test using one or two browsers but in the three, four if you include Opera, major browsers that are available.
    Especially one with 60% of the market share.
    05-10-2014 08:25 PM
    I use IE. I do not like using firefox or chrome. If you want to take IE away from me, you'll have to pull it out of my cold dead hands.
    Now go back to trying to take something else away from someone else. Thanks!
    05-10-2014 08:49 PM
    Lol really?
    05-10-2014 09:08 PM
    Lol really?
    If you really want to take IE away from me, you better gather a bunch of friends and some weapons because I AM NOT GOING DOWN EASLY!
    05-10-2014 09:09 PM
    I have to agree. People just have a hate towards IE, even my non-techie friends hate it and bad talk it. The name also sounds awful and not very cool. I mean, Chrome and Firefox ARE good names. C'mon guys...
    Guytronic, Laura Knotek and AaHaa like this.
    05-10-2014 09:14 PM
    The Internet explorer in the preview for developers version in windows phone 8.1 has become disgusting. It cant open the websites which it supported to open in previous versions.
    05-10-2014 09:26 PM
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    05-10-2014 09:49 PM
    Let's not let this discussion slip into a "I do use Internet Explorer and I like it and here's why"-discussion. I don't dislike Internet Explorer, really, I don't, but we can all agree Internet Explorer has an image problem, right? Do you guys (talking to the hardcore fans now) really think the brand "Internet Explorer" will ever be on par with "Google Chrome" again?
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    05-11-2014 07:48 AM
    Let's not let this discussion slip into a "I do use Internet Explorer and I like it and here's why"-discussion. I don't dislike Internet Explorer, really, I don't, but we can all agree Internet Explorer has an image problem, right? Do you guys (talking to the hardcore fans now) really think the brand "Internet Explorer" will ever be on par with "Google Chrome" again?
    Don't speak for everyone, we certainly don't "all agree" that IE has an image problem. It's a perception issue with so called "experts" who haven't bothered to use it since IE4, 5 & 6.
    Last edited by neo158; 05-12-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    05-11-2014 09:23 AM
    Again, your "web-dev" friends are not representative of the entire population and, frankly, they could think that IE is the spawn of Satan for all I care, but since the masses have determined that it is good enough, then changing the brand will do nothing since, as I said earlier, people just use what browser comes with their computer. If hell freezes over and we all use Chromebooks, then what would having a hip, new browser even do? People would still use Chrome. Since people use what browser comes with their computers, the battle for browsers is just a side battle of the platform wars.
    05-11-2014 09:51 AM
    "Webdevs" have a worse reputation in my book than anything else on the internet. Most of them are lazy and won't follow proper coding protocols. They want to identify by user agent strings and walk away. Sloppy and lazy. Still have a major problem with insistence on Flash which nobody supports anymore.
    neo158 likes this.
    05-11-2014 09:59 AM
    I have to agree. People just have a hate towards IE, even my non-techie friends hate it and bad talk it. The name also sounds awful and not very cool. I mean, Chrome and Firefox ARE good names. C'mon guys...
    Seriously?... The name Internet Explorer basically does what its name is... How in the world is Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera even related to the internet?...

The image problem comes from sheep, ants, bandwagoners that doesn't know any better... I wouldn't even consider someone a developer if he/she considers the Internet Explorer now to be inferior the other browsers...

Microsoft should really consider having a restriction within the OS on running other browsers...
    neo158 likes this.
    05-11-2014 10:43 AM
    The image problem comes from sheep, ants, bandwagoners that doesn't know any better... I wouldn't even consider someone a developer if he/she considers the Internet Explorer now to be inferior the other browsers...
    Yeah, fair enough, the image isn't true. I get that. But Internet Explorer DOES have the bad image. And I'm not just talking about like, the three webdev friends I have, but all of them. I honestly don't know anyone who's using Internet Explorer these days anymore. It's always the little Chrome icon on the taskbar, sometimes Firefox, but I never, ever see the E anymore. I don't think these people exactly know why they switched from Internet Explorer, but the fact remains they did. Probably because someone told them it sucks. Now I know, this isn't representative for other social circles I'm not in and other countries I don't live, but I'm kinda scared this will become a global phenomenon. The internet is pretty global, and the internet is pretty darn negative about IE...
    05-11-2014 02:34 PM
    Yeah, fair enough, the image isn't true. I get that. But Internet Explorer DOES have the bad image. And I'm not just talking about like, the three webdev friends I have, but all of them. I honestly don't know anyone who's using Internet Explorer these days anymore. It's always the little Chrome icon on the taskbar, sometimes Firefox, but I never, ever see the E anymore. I don't think these people exactly know why they switched from Internet Explorer, but the fact remains they did. Probably because someone told them it sucks. Now I know, this isn't representative for other social circles I'm not in and other countries I don't live, but I'm kinda scared this will become a global phenomenon. The internet is pretty global, and the internet is pretty darn negative about IE...
    Yet the facts say otherwise... Compared to last year, IE's market share has actually gone up. At least on the charts I've seen. As a matter of fact, to show you how meaningless anecdotes are, I'm looking around me in the library and I see 6 people on IE and one on Chrome and one on Firefox.
    05-11-2014 05:53 PM
    Yet the facts say otherwise... Compared to last year, IE's market share has actually gone up. At least on the charts I've seen. As a matter of fact, to show you how meaningless anecdotes are, I'm looking around me in the library and I see 6 people on IE and one on Chrome and one on Firefox.
    Well because it's the default browser, and there are many people who don't know how to install another browser. They think it's their only choice.
    05-11-2014 08:47 PM
    Well because it's the default browser, and there are many people who don't know how to install another browser. They think it's their only choice.
    I disagree. If someone was truly dissatisfied with IE, they know how to go to Google and type in "browser not internet explorer". I imagine that since IE just works for most people, they just don't bother. I mean, really.... What advantage is there for Chrome or FF to a person who just wants to browse facebook?
    05-11-2014 09:20 PM
    I disagree. If someone was truly dissatisfied with IE, they know how to go to Google and type in "browser not internet explorer". I imagine that since IE just works for most people, they just don't bother. I mean, really.... What advantage is there for Chrome or FF to a person who just wants to browse facebook?
    People who use computers in a library usually go there because they don't have computers at home. They typically are not the most tech-savvy individuals.
    05-11-2014 09:27 PM
    People who use computers in a library usually go there because they don't have computers at home. They typically are not the most tech-savvy individuals.
    True. But tech-savvy or not, they're still people. They still count toward market share. They're still a developer's "customers". Technically, a tech savvy person would be more likely to use Linux, but that doesn't mean that most programs don't target a PC first (and sometimes only) or make its market share irrelevant.
    Last edited by Jas00555; 05-11-2014 at 09:52 PM.
    05-11-2014 09:41 PM
    In the UK (and I think Europe as well), the first time you use the internet it runs an app called Browser Choice, it shows all the main browsers and you select the one you want to use, this then gets installed for you and set as default
    I cant remember the full reasons, but it was something to do with MS having the advantage of having IE preinstalled as part of Windows, other browsers had to get an equal opportunity at being the default, so an option has to be given on what browser you want
    neo158 likes this.
    05-12-2014 04:44 AM
    In the UK (and I think Europe as well), the first time you use the internet it runs an app called Browser Choice, it shows all the main browsers and you select the one you want to use, this then gets installed for you and set as default
    I cant remember the full reasons, but it was something to do with MS having the advantage of having IE preinstalled as part of Windows, other browsers had to get an equal opportunity at being the default, so an option has to be given on what browser you want
    That is correct with one exception, Windows RT, which can't run x86 based software and so is exempt from running the Browser Choice app.

I would also add that the main reason to use IE, particularly if you own a Windows Phone, is that favourites, tabs, usernames and passwords all sync between devices. I have a Windows 8.1 Pro desktop, Surface RT and a Windows Phone running the 8.1 preview and all the above synced data is available to me on all those devices.
    paulsalter likes this.
    05-12-2014 10:06 AM
    So what I got from the OP is. If a name is tainted we need to kill off the tainted name and reconstruct a new name/system in order to gain popularity.

So basically after Hitler tainted the Germany name. The U.S should have killed off all Germans and constructed new breed of Germans through DNA splicing and cloning.

I really don't understand the point of this thread.

And I apologize if I offend anyone with the above example but my point stands that killing off something that is tainted and reconstructing a new one is not how it works.

Its not a building. When a building is condemned, its torn down and a new building erects.

inb4 thread closed.
    05-12-2014 10:28 AM
    So what I got from the OP is. If a name is tainted we need to kill off the tainted name and reconstruct a new name/system in order to gain popularity.

So basically after Hitler tainted the Germany name. The U.S should have killed off all Germans and constructed new breed of Germans through DNA splicing and cloning.

And I apologize if I offend anyone with the above example but my point stands that killing off something that is tainted and reconstructing a new one is not how it works.

Its not a building. When a building is condemned, its torn down and a new building erects.

inb4 thread closed.
    Did you just compare Internet Explorer to Hitler?
    05-12-2014 10:53 AM
    Did you just compare Internet Explorer to Hitler?
    Some people don't see a difference
    tgp likes this.
    05-12-2014 11:44 AM

inb4 thread closed.
    Wow. Did not expect that comparison. I think it's kind of an unfair comparison too, unless you think technical services are the same thing as nationalities. And killing something off to make place for a fresh, better replacement has happened before, actually. Microsoft killed off Hotmail in favor of Outlook, Windows Live Search for Bing. Google killed Google Buzz to make place for Google Plus. Sometimes this tactic works, sometimes it doesn't. I think Internet Explorer is a perfect example of a service that would benefit from this tactic.
    05-15-2014 10:21 AM
52 123