Google Chrome

Fred Mertz

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't find a place to put this. So, if it exist elsewhere, feel free to move the thread.

Anyway, what the hell is up with Google Chrome? This has been my go-to browser for the last few years and it was always super fast and error free. But within the last couple of months it has become unbearable to use with it's constant "Not Responding" issues. So, what can be done to fix this? I have used both CCleaner as well as internal browser diagnostics to clear out the cache. But neither are effective as the problems always resurface a few minutes later. YouTube hasn't been any help in finding a solution either.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used chrome much but if there is something like add ons / extensions try disabling them. Also what happens when you browse in private mode ?
Lastly at what time /activity do you get not responding ?

CaptainAnywho

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It's possible that it may be a hardware related issue (low-spec will run anything poorly in general). I'm more inclined to believe that it may just be chrome updates focusing less on stability and more on features. Try installing the beta builds to see if performance is any better.

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Feel free to try Internet Explorer if you want to. Everyone here gonna recommend it anyway. The new IE is pretty fast actually

Fred Mertz

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I haven't used chrome much but if there is something like add ons / extensions try disabling them. Also what happens when you browse in private mode ?
Lastly at what time /activity do you get not responding ?

There is no rhyme or reason as to what causes the issues. It ranges from browsing online or even when I launch Chrome. This isn't to be confused with crashing as it never just stops working. It hangs from a few seconds to a few minutes until whatever it is correct itself. Then it becomes functional and I can browse away and then for whatever reason it's back to the 'Not responding" issues, until it corrects itself again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There is no rhyme or reason as to what causes the issues. It ranges from browsing online or even when I launch Chrome. This isn't to be confused with crashing as it never just stops working. It hangs from a few seconds to a few minutes until whatever it is correct itself. Then it becomes functional and I can browse away and then for whatever reason it's back to the 'Not responding" issues, until it corrects itself again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

did you try reinstalling chrome on your machine ?

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I was having this issue when I had install the dev version of chrome and sometimes the tab goes black the transition from one tab to other is also not smooth so I installed the public version and it is working fine now.But make sure you uninstall it completely
I clean everything with ccleaner and also repair my registry.

AnestisL820

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem... So many lags... Finally i am using mozilla and IE. Propably they are caring more for Chrome OS and and not windows based PC.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You could try resetting the browser's settings/reinstalling Chrome.

Perhaps try Firefox or IE if you're up for a change.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This kinda sounds like a problem with your DNS servers to me. If name resolution is slow/unreliable then you will get bad browser behavior because every page nowadays is pulling in stuff from all over the place. Do you have problems with other browsers besides Chrome? You could go into your network settings and try overriding your ISP's DNS server addresses with 8.8.8.8 or the opendns ones and see if that helps.

Fred Mertz

May 29, 2014
Visit site
This kinda sounds like a problem with your DNS servers to me. If name resolution is slow/unreliable then you will get bad browser behavior because every page nowadays is pulling in stuff from all over the place. Do you have problems with other browsers besides Chrome? You could go into your network settings and try overriding your ISP's DNS server addresses with 8.8.8.8 or the opendns ones and see if that helps.

I get the same issues with Firefox from time to time, but it's never as bad as Chrome though.

As for uninstalling/re-installing, I've done that a few times with no success in fixing problem.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't find a place to put this. So, if it exist elsewhere, feel free to move the thread.

Anyway, what the hell is up with Google Chrome? This has been my go-to browser for the last few years and it was always super fast and error free. But within the last couple of months it has become unbearable to use with it's constant "Not Responding" issues. So, what can be done to fix this? I have used both CCleaner as well as internal browser diagnostics to clear out the cache. But neither are effective as the problems always resurface a few minutes later. YouTube hasn't been any help in finding a solution either.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ditto and to top it off the browser got an add on or infection and synched it to all devices. Disabled sync cleared all devices and reset chrome and it still comes up. Constantly loads bull**** on my co.puter. Doesn't effect operating system so far. Sent chrome the lead page it draws from and all information three months ago and it still isn't fixed. Used to love this browser but ready to quit if its just going to expose my computer to risks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
How about trying Firefox instead?

I use Firefox in Windows 8.1 Update 1 and in Linux Mint 16, and I do not have any issues like you are having.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Also having issues with it on both the Ipad and PC. Frequently hangs or crashes, too slow a lot of the time.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think I know how to fix it. My grandmother had this problem and I fixed it for her and now she's super happy. Her browsing has been amazing ever since.

1) Go to Control Panel
2) Go to programs
3) Go to programs and features
4) scroll down to Google Chrome
5) click on it
6) uninstall
7) use IE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member