Youtube 60fps videos stuttering in Google Chrome; runs smoothly on IE 11 on Windows 8.1 (x64)

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I used to use Chrome as my default/daily browser but recently I've switched to IE 11 on my Windows 8.1 pc. I've noticed that 60 fps youtube videos stutters when played by Chrome but runs buttery smooth on IE 11. My chrome is updated, i reinstalled chrome for the problem to be fixed but no help. Turning hardware acceleration on & off didnt help. Clearing the history, temp, cache files didnt help. Disabling extensions didnt help. It seems like nothing is fixing this issue.

My pc has a intel pentium dual core e5700 processor, amd radeon hd 7750 gpu & 4gb 1333 ddr3 ram. Im pretty sure my hardware is alright since IE can play it well. But Im just curious why this is happening in chrome, any ideas?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I used to use Chrome as my default/daily browser but recently I've switched to IE 11 on my Windows 8.1 pc. I've noticed that 60 fps youtube videos stutters when played by Chrome but runs buttery smooth on IE 11. My chrome is updated, i reinstalled chrome for the problem to be fixed but no help. Turning hardware acceleration on & off didnt help. Clearing the history, temp, cache files didnt help. Disabling extensions didnt help. It seems like nothing is fixing this issue.

My pc has a intel pentium dual core e5700 processor, amd radeon hd 7750 gpu & 4gb 1333 ddr3 ram. Im pretty sure my hardware is alright since IE can play it well. But Im just curious why this is happening in chrome, any ideas?
60fps videos only run on chrome. I'm sorry but your hardware cannot handle it I'm afraid. Please remember you need to be running on the video on at least 720p for 60fps

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
60fps videos only run on chrome. I'm sorry but your hardware cannot handle it I'm afraid. Please remember you need to be running on the video on at least 720p for 60fps

No the IE on win 8.1 can run it too. You can see for yourself. And trust me, when a video is running at 60 fps i can tell it. I can feel the difference.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Gamers rejoice: YouTube now supports silky-smooth 60fps video uploads | PCWorld

In Windows only chrome can play 60fps video.

Your PC is weak to handle it.

The article says appears to not work in anything but Chrome, yet "It does work in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox (Nightly) and Internet Explorer (11) but not in Opera or Chromium for example." according to this article: YouTube supports 60 fps videos now - gHacks Tech News

I've also viewed YouTube videos at 60fps within IE. It does work.

Thought I'd show image of it turned on:

utube60.jpg

EDIT:
http://www.guruslodge.com/index.php...on-chrome-safari-and-internet-explorer.44652/

http://www.gizbot.com/apps-software...ayback-support-chrome-safari-news-020301.html

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/10/30/youtube-now-supports-higher-quality-videos-playing-at-60-fps/

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
The article says appears to not work in anything but Chrome, yet "It does work in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox (Nightly) and Internet Explorer (11) but not in Opera or Chromium for example." according to this article: YouTube supports 60 fps videos now - gHacks Tech News

I've also viewed YouTube videos at 60fps within IE. It does work.

Thought I'd show image of it turned on:

View attachment 87328

EDIT:
YouTube Launches 60fps Video Playback Support on Chrome, Safari and Internet Explorer | Guruslodge - Nigerian Tech, Mobile Forum

YouTube Rolls Out 60fps Video Playback Support on Chrome, Safari and Internet Explorer - Gizbot

YouTube Now Supports Higher-Quality Videos Playing at 60 FPS - Digits - WSJ

I tried in my Laptop but I haven't be able to play 60fps in IE and it works only in Chrome.
IE.jpgChrome.jpg

and I haven't face any problem with Chrome as OP. It's buttery smooth in my low specs lappy.
I think OP have install some addons in chrome which may be the reason for that.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
It may be some addon, however I do suspect that his hardware just isn't up to snuff to play with Chrome. OP you can try DMC's suggestion and try and disable addons to see if it will work. Use task manager to see whether there is maximum usage of your hardware, check CPU/Memory and report back.

As for the above post. You can show images of it not working in IE however there is more evidence it's not restricted to only Chrome. Including the OP. There might be something wrong with your installation.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
My hardware IS capable of running 60fps videos ok. I play them in my IE everyday without any problem! Maybe my chrome is just screwed up somehow, ill look into it.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
My hardware IS capable of running 60fps videos ok. I play them in my IE everyday without any problem! Maybe my chrome is just screwed up somehow, ill look into it.

Please do try and play a video while keeping an eye on your computers resources, that way we possibly can tell where the issue may lie.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Please do try and play a video while keeping an eye on your computers resources, that way we possibly can tell where the issue may lie.

While playing 60fps vids in Chrome my CPU usage stays above 70%! While playing it in IE my CPU usage stays below 16%! So my conclusion is Chrome sucks! Why cant it handle 60fps vids in low end pcs while IE can?? Screw chrome! I'm happy with IE!

Anyways thanx for the tips guys, really appreciate it.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
While playing 60fps vids in Chrome my CPU usage stays above 70%! While playing it in IE my CPU usage stays below 16%! So my conclusion is Chrome sucks! Why cant it handle 60fps vids in low end pcs while IE can?? Screw chrome! I'm happy with IE!

Anyways thanx for the tips guys, really appreciate it.

If it's using 70%, that would certainly suggest at least 1 of your cores is fully loaded and it's the source of your issue.

However I do think there is some things you can try. You could make sure that Flash is using hardware acceleration, or you could disable and try to use HTML5. See whether the CPU usage goes down.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
You are running Internet Explorer 11? You have tried resetting back to factory defaults and a "reinstall"? There is something wrong with your system if it's not working for you.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes,
And I'll try to reinstall and post update here.

One question for you
Are you also experiencing same problem as OP?

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes,
And I'll try to reinstall and post update here.

One question for you
Are you also experiencing same problem as OP?

No but my system is significantly more powerful. It does use a little more CPU, but not to the same extent as the OP. Which is why I suggested the OP test whether hardware acceleration was in use when using Chrome.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium