Greets from Odessa, not the one in Texas, but the one in Ukraine

Odessiter

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
greetings from Odessa, Ukraine.
For those who don't know where it is, a small walk-in:
Ukraine - country in Eastern Europe, formerly part of USSR, now independent state.
Odessa - a seaport city ashore of the Black Sea.

Well, enough education.
I've just bought Samsung Omnia W (European version of Focus Flash) in replacement of my iPhone GSM that duly served me for about 3 years. But Apple's phone I had turned to be quite outdated and couldn't run many apps I liked and wanted. I though about buying 4 or 4s, but they are not officially presented in Ukraine and you need to unlock them or pay 150 bucks more for a neverlock one. So, I went and bought Windows Phone. A colleague of mine called me a pervert as I am the only switcher to WP7 phone from iOS in his history^-)
Well, I must say so far I am absolutely happy with Omnia W. It runs fast, I found lots of free apps that were paid for iOS. The GUI is some unusual after iOS, but I am getting up with it already.

Okay, sorry for so many letters in my "hi" theme/:p

Regards,
Sergii

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Welcome from Texas! I'm a good four and a half hours from Odessa, though. I'm actually very familiar with the Ukraine. I am a religion major and the Ukraine has become a hotspot for missions since the withdrawal/fall of the USSR, so I've studied it in many classes. I'd love to visit that part of the world some day!

I hope you enjoy the forums and your Omnia W! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you. :)

Odessiter

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for cordial welcome.
I am very positively surprised of you knowing about Ukraine:)

Palandri, thanx for info on UA Village in Chicago. Very interesting.

I am hoping to enjoy this forum.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Sergii, your English is excellent. Amazing! How did you learn English so well? And I do know exactly where Ukraine is and a good amount of its history.

Welcome to the land of Windows Phone!

Odessiter

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, speedtouch, for giving A to my English:).

Actually, I work as an interpreter/editor in Raytheon's Odessa Technical Support Office:) (I believe you've heard something about Raytheon, if you are from the U.S. or Canada).
As for how I did manage to have such English, it's my personal desire (when I was at school we had some cable TV channels broadcasting American and other movies in English, and I wanted to understand what folks are talking about, so I forced my parents to arrange additional English classes for me), five years of University I graduated from majoring in Translation/Interpretation, and about 7 years of labor experience.
And, ' course, working language in my company is English, and some number of expatriates working in the office, so it's not that difficult to maintain and upgrade English.

Anyway, thanks. It's been a pleasure hearing such thing:)

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, I know all about Raytheon. That's a really interesting story about how you learned English. Good job! I know it has taken a lot of effort on your part. One day I must learn Korean...somehow. I hope I can be as good at Korean as you are English.

I do have a question about Ukrainian, though. Is it based from Latin or an older Slavic language? As you know, English, Spanish, Italian, German, etc. are based from Latin. I just wonder where Ukrainian comes from.

I hope to see more posts from you here! Take care.

PZ+WP7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Privet!
i was born in Kiev, my wife is from Odessa :)

I tried to explain to some of my friends that I think WP7 is better, but crApple is all the hype... hopefully once Nokia fully expands in former USSR, things will pickup, since there are a lot of Nokia followers...

so far, not too many Russian apps.. I think I have about 10 installed

(Verizon Trophy)

Odessiter

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
2 PZ+WP7:
Добрый вечер (по крайней мере у нас)

Quite far from the birthplace now, huh?:)
You know, I'm an Apple fan (wife and myself having macbooks, and a family-wide desktop PC iMac 21.5"), but I got tired of the same design of icons and all the UI stuff the Iphones have. And I'm quite open to everything you with some exclusions, so I decided "why wouldn't I give a try to a WP7 device?".
After couple weeks of having it I am absolutely happy with the functionality, battery operation and so on.
The only couple apps I miss on WP7.5 are properly functioning pdf reader and Instagram app.
Of course, there is InstaCam, but it does not publish your photo to instagram, only to facebook and flickr.
Androiders are going to receive Instagram app in a near time, and WPhoners still not:(
Hope, instagram guys will realize WPhone platform is also promising.

Re: your statement on nokia followers, you're wrong here:)
Last time I saw nokia in the streets was on a lightbox commercial of Nokia on Symbian couple weeks ago.
Now almost all people under 40 carry an iPhone or something running Android. Or smthing with no OS at all like samsung or fly (the latter has 2-sim capability).

Say "hi from Odessa" to your wife:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss