Good bye my 8x brothers and sisters...

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to bid farewell to my recent fellow 8x owners. I have officially jumped ship to Nokia which I believe was a smart move. I really liked my HTC 8x but there are a few reasons I switched. One is the lack of moral support from the windows phone team. The other reasons are form and features. I enjoy the design of the 8x yet the Lumia's weight and thicker body just show promise to me in terms of reliability and confidence in a more solid device. Having the ability to use my touch screen with gloves on and able to use Nokia music among other features is a big plus. Microsoft put all it's eggs in Nokia's basket and even though more support is shared with HTC it is obvious that the two manufacturers have their differences and there's only room for 2 in Microsoft's bed.

I'm now joining the 820 family (the 920 is still too big for my taste). So I will be around Lumia camp for the most part. For those that have the 8x, It's a great phone but demands a very specific user who wants to stand out from others and for that I salute you.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hahaha I agree with you my friend, Nokia is the way to go but for me I enjoy my 8X for I have had much worse support from LG, and I am audiophile, more or less. The audio quality that I get from the beats audio output is unbelievably better, and I enjoy some good music :). Everything else is pretty much the same although I do admit Nokia exclusives is a huge plus lool. Either way, WP8 :D

Last edited:

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Aww that stinks but yeah Nokia actually seems to care. See ya. Did you exchange the 8X or are you selling it?

I'm happy that you are sticking with WP8 though. I'll look at a Lumia when VZW gets one. I mean a 900 series.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Aww that stinks but yeah Nokia actually seems to care. See ya. Did you exchange the 8X or are you selling it?

I'm happy that you are sticking with WP8 though. I'll look at a Lumia when VZW gets one. I mean a 900 series.

I traded my phone to my brother.

anon5658834

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Welcome. I have the 620 and it's better than many of the other brands on WP that are more expensive coz of the value adds Nokia has and the support

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I had the 822 for a few months and switched to an 8X. I like the thinness and screen size better, but the 822 was a nice phone. I didn't really need the Nokia apps and have no need at all for using screen with gloves (south GA). But, Nokia is certainly the WP company for now. Hopefully, because of Nokia's efforts, we will see more WP's from Samsung, LG, HTC and others.

WP95

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Enjoy your new Lumia, I'm just glad you didn't say you were going to Android or iOS. The 8x is a great phone, I've had it since launch on Verizon. Really thin, great colors and the best part is the beats integrated. I was going to get a Lumia, but since no 920 variant is on big red I went with htc. I will consider changing to the 928 once its released. Nokia has great support for WP.

Wakka212

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Best of luck! The main reason I chose the 8X over the Lumia was how much better the 8X felt in my hand.

I crave mobile devices with a uniquely inspired design and equally satisfying feel in the hand--especially if I'm going to use it as much as a cellphone.

Cannot argue however that the 920 is the better WP experience in terms of features and software.

The Lumia team simply has more on the line when it comes to WP than HTC. Also the 8X corner issue is so frustrating for those that don't like cases!

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to bid farewell to my recent fellow 8x owners. I have officially jumped ship to Nokia which I believe was a smart move. I really liked my HTC 8x but there are a few reasons I switched. One is the lack of moral support from the windows phone team. The other reasons are form and features. I enjoy the design of the 8x yet the Lumia's weight and thicker body just show promise to me in terms of reliability and confidence in a more solid device. Having the ability to use my touch screen with gloves on and able to use Nokia music among other features is a big plus. Microsoft put all it's eggs in Nokia's basket and even though more support is shared with HTC it is obvious that the two manufacturers have their differences and there's only room for 2 in Microsoft's bed.

I'm now joining the 820 family (the 920 is still too big for my taste). So I will be around Lumia camp for the most part. For those that have the 8x, It's a great phone but demands a very specific user who wants to stand out from others and for that I salute you.
you lost me at "lack of moral support" ........Really???? Bahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of the OPs reason for switching brands, let's not lose sight of the fact that this is one of WPs greatest strengths - like Android there are multiple manufacturers in play at different price points.

This is why I still think that there is scope for a MS Surface phone - pitched above the Lumias, straight at the iPhone, with equivalent design and engineering properties (let's face it, the iPhone 4S was a lovely piece of kit although I am not a fan of the 5 at all)

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
you lost me at "lack of moral support" ........Really???? Bahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
Yes really. Have you not noticed? WP users aren't really encouraged to go for HTC. And those that are with HTC are treated as the red-headed stepchild in comparison to Nokia. As a result there is not much in the area of moral support for those involved with HTC or considering the manufacturer. It's not a big deal for some and vice-versa. I for one like the utmost consideration by my software provider and that in part has influenced my decision.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
IMHO opinion, owning two 8X, a Samsung Ativ S. Having owned a L920, you will realize that the 8X and the Ativ S are the two best WP8 devices. The reason Nokia hands out soo many goodies is because they have terrible quality problems. The quality of their devices and device software varies greatly. The 8X, if not defective is the WP8 that is the most stable and that has the most accurate display and audio and also ergonomics. The Ativ S is the only WP8 device that is close to the 8X in terms of stability that also offers a big display, physical home button that awakes the phone and superior battery life. HTC made something with the 8X that is a device with manageable complexity that they could make work rather well. Samsung followed the same path. Nokia might have designed a nice spec monster on paper, but it has problems mastering its own beast. In the end of a day, the device has to be reliable, before one can judge the rest, this to a point where we can recommend it. Sorry, but I will not recommend a device which has a tendency to fail, considering how dangerous this can be in a life endangering event. So... I will say get a 8X or Ativ S or even 8S.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
IMHO opinion, owning two 8X, a Samsung Ativ S. Having owned a L920, you will realize that the 8X and the Ativ S are the two best WP8 devices. The reason Nokia hands out soo many goodies is because they have terrible quality problems. The quality of their devices and device software varies greatly. The 8X, if not defective is the WP8 that is the most stable and that has the most accurate display and audio and also ergonomics. The Ativ S is the only WP8 device that is close to the 8X in terms of stability that also offers a big display, physical home button that awakes the phone and superior battery life. HTC made something with the 8X that is a device with manageable complexity that they could make work rather well. Samsung followed the same path. Nokia might have designed a nice spec monster on paper, but it has problems mastering its own beast. In the end of a day, the device has to be reliable, before one can judge the rest, this to a point where we can recommend it. Sorry, but I will not recommend a device which has a tendency to fail, considering how dangerous this can be in a life endangering event. So... I will say get a 8X or Ativ S or even 8S.

I respect your views. It's a two sided coin here. My experience with the 8x is not bad at all but lackluster. Nokia to me is refreshing and their handsets are 'bolder' to me. That's the word I like to use to describe them. Then again I'd rather have my 91 sports sedan over some new luxury 4 door sports sedan and not many people would say that but that's just me.

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I moved from 8x to Lumia 920 3 weeks ago after owning 8x since December last year. I've been experiencing random freezes and inconsistent battery performance on my 920 -- so disappointing as I never encountered issues with my 8x. If only there's a WP8 device out there that offers phone quality of the 8x and overall (non-hardware) WP8 support of Nokia. That would be the perfect phone for me.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I moved from 8x to Lumia 920 3 weeks ago after owning 8x since December last year. I've been experiencing random freezes and inconsistent battery performance on my 920 -- so disappointing as I never encountered issues with my 8x. If only there's a WP8 device out there that offers phone quality of the 8x and overall (non-hardware) WP8 support of Nokia. That would be the perfect phone for me.

Have you experienced a smaller Lumia? Larger displays with more ppi have a tendency to cause performance issues (overheating, freezing etc.) due to the display drawing the most power from any phone. I've looked into that and it seems people with smaller Lumia's like my 820 generally have less performance issues due to the much less ppi.

I had issues with my 8x every now and then. The occasional frozen screen or the back button wouldn't function for a minute. It would always get too hot during extensive use and the battery would drain quickly. Some things aren't missed. I miss very little about that phone only because I haven't really lost much with the replacement and I've gained a little. It's a nice trade off for me.

Last edited:

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes, my wife's previous phone is Lumia 800 and now she's using my 8x. I guess I just got lucky with my 8x. One advantage of 920 though, is you can manually flash firmwares. I don't think you can do the same using non-Nokia devices (not 100% sure with this).

PymbleSoftware

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC8S and a Nokia Lumia 820... I use both as debug devices and I use the Nokia Music over WIFI while cutting code at work but other than that frankly I don't see a whole lot of noticeable difference. The 820 is a very bright case and with the matching headphones it is a lot more vibrant but I suspect some of the looks I get is from my choice of colour. Its certainly easy to pick out from a mess of phones, tablets and cables on your desk.

edit:
I have a soft spot for my Nokia as it was a runner up prize for an app competition (top 10 apps got 920s, the next 10 got 820s), and Nokia gave us two days of death by power point and pizza. I just saw a Windows Phone in the lift on the way to work today.

R.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon