hi. experienced WP users' advice would be appreciated

BravoKiloUno

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Apologies in advance for such a long post...I'm seriously considering ditching Android in favor of WP. I've regularly used, and am familiar with iOS, Android, and webOS (my favorite mobile OS...ever).

My use.
20% email and calendar. Email: Outlook 2010, Gmail, and Outlook.com. Calendar: Outlook 2010, and Google.
30% web browser.
30% music streaming. Google music, Amazon MP3, and TuneIn Radio Pro.
10% phone calls. Voice quality is important to me.
5% gaming, camera, and misc apps.
5% screwing around with the ui and settings to make the phone work the way that I want it to work.

My hardware question.
I've "experienced" the WP browser based emulator, and I used the HTC 8X for the first time this morning at my local Best Buy. Unfortunately, no Lumias were available to test out. I've used HTC (Android OS) for my last 2 phones, and have owned several Nokia dumb phones. Both brands seem to make bullet proof hardware. The HTC 8X was impressive; solid and svelte, with a rich display and fluid transitions. I'd be willing to pull the trigger on a Lumia (AT&T or VZW flavors...no preference), but I'm unsure of which model would best suit my needs (see "Use" above). Hardware suggestions?

My software (i.e., apps) question.
I must have access to: Outlook 2010 calendar and email; Gmail and Google calendar; Outlook.com email; TuneIn Radio Pro (or something comparable...monthly $ubscription is okay). Apps suggestions?

Last edited:

SnatchedIT

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
All the mails are built in the default email app, offering sync for contacts and calendar as well (outlook of course, but GMail as well). TuneIn radio is available, plus Xbox music. Lumias offer Nokia Music as well.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral!

The only thing in the list above that won't work is Google music, the rest works great on WP! If you want the Nokia exclusive apps, like Here Drive+ (voice navigator) or Nokia Music, you will have to go with a Lumia, and that's what I recommend because these apps are really good and useful! :)

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Any of the top tier Lumia's will work for you. Note that Google services can be a bit hit or miss. I know Google Music will not work. I finally moved all of my Calendars off of Google to outlook and could not be happier.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If 5% of his use is in camera (along with gaming), I dont think he should wait till 1020. I would go for a 920/925/928, whatever floats your boat the most/is available.

Also quite some thread necromancy :p

nsbabra

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
My use.
20% email and calendar. Email: Outlook 2010, Gmail, and Outlook.com. Calendar: Outlook 2010, and Google.
30% web browser.
30% music streaming. Google music, Amazon MP3, and TuneIn Radio Pro.
10% phone calls. Voice quality is important to me.
5% gaming, camera, and misc apps.
5% screwing around with the ui and settings to make the phone work the way that I want it to work.

Hi, Considering your usage have a look at Lumia 925 , Design wise its near perfection, much better than my 920. (I don't know about 1020 but since it looks similar to Lumia 900, I reckon 925 is the best looking device).

Google services are improved as CalDev and CardDev are supported now. But I'm not sure to which extent as I don't use them.

Reasons for Not getting a Lumia 920 - Bulky (If you don't plan to use wireless Charging often) + L925 has better Screen, Better design and overall better feel .
Why not get a Lumia 1020 - If you're not that into photography(as your usage suggests) I don't see 1020 beating 925 at any other task .
The only con I see in getting a Lumia 925 is 16GB memory, if you're comfortable with it. Go for it.

nsbabra

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say the screen is better. It's sort of a preferrance. AMOLED has it's pro's, but also cons :p Likewise for IPS
yes, you can say that. Even I like the color reproduction of 920 better. But since Nokia is giving Color Profiles with Amber I don't see any advantage of IPS LCD as any user can have a more real look, if he wants to. Besides black won't be that black on IPS LCD ever.
Plus, Nokia Glance - It would require minimum battery and would look better on amoled.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb