Indestructible Nokia Lumia!

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to relay a story about my Lumia 820. I have an 820 because I like that it is smaller than the 920 and I can just change the battery when it is low.

I was on my jet ski yesterday on Lake Michigan and when getting on the dock I dropped my stock (no case, no extra protection) Nokia 820 in the lake. Fortunately it was only 4 feet deep and the bright yellow wireless charger back made it easy to see. I jumped in and grabbed the phone after it was in the water for about 20 seconds. I held the phone in my soaking wet hands and turned it on. The display came up normally! The flash illuminator was a little wacky going on and off and after a minute or so the display got unresponsive but it still came on.

I took it home, took off the removable back, took out the battery, the SIM card and the SD card. I put a blow drier on low and let it blow air on the open back of the phone for 10 minutes or so. Put it all back together and,,, IT WORKED PERFECTLY!

I wouldn't recommended dropping an unprotected phone in the water but it's nice to know the Nokias are tougher than most cell phones. I have a friend who had a new Galaxy IIIs and just got a tiny bit of water on it and it died.

Take that iPhone and Galaxy!

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to relay a story about my Lumia 820. I have an 820 because I like that it is smaller than the 920 and I can just change the battery when it is low.

I was on my jet ski yesterday on Lake Michigan and when getting on the dock I dropped my stock (no case, no extra protection) Nokia 820 in the lake. Fortunately it was only 4 feet deep and the bright yellow wireless charger back made it easy to see. I jumped in and grabbed the phone after it was in the water for about 20 seconds. I held the phone in my soaking wet hands and turned it on. The display came up normally! The flash illuminator was a little wacky going on and off and after a minute or so the display got unresponsive but it still came on.

I took it home, took off the removable back, took out the battery, the SIM card and the SD card. I put a blow drier on low and let it blow air on the open back of the phone for 10 minutes or so. Put it all back together and,,, IT WORKED PERFECTLY!

I wouldn't recommended dropping an unprotected phone in the water but it's nice to know the Nokias are tougher than most cell phones. I have a friend who had a new Galaxy IIIs and just got a tiny bit of water on it and it died.

Take that iPhone and Galaxy!
hahaha nice

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey maxmin, great to see you here at WPCentral. I hope you know how lucky you are! The Lumia's tend to be built quite well and can stand up to a beating but they're not waterproof. Have a search around the forums and you'll see a few cases where people have had them in the same bag during a torrential downpour or gotten them wet some how and they've ended up with paper weights.

WeirdFM

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Next time you drop your Lumia in the lake, don't turn the screen on, but rather take out the battery as fast as you can and let it dry.

Mam were you lucky. I've had a Nokia drop in a spring and survive it, but this was way back and not a smartphone

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPC and the Nokia gods were looking down at your device and said "water shall not destroy such beauty".

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't even have the guts to promptly pick up the phone.
If I were you I would visit the shop/customer care and ask for a replacement showing them some kind of cosmetic fault, and hoping they wouldn't check the water indicator.

P.S. - Never switch on a phone when wet, it'll do irrepairable damage, dry it by putting inside a jar full of rice, absorbs all moisture.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire