AT&T Tried to sell me the SGS4 instead of the NL925.

StillClassic29

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Just jumped ship. I am now a member of the Nokia Lumia 925 team.
I upgraded back in Feb (7 months ago) for the iPhone 5, and when I read the news that AT&T was getting the Nokia Lumia 925, I had to switch. I was an Apple/iOS user for 3 years. Although iOS 7 is a week away, nothing really impressed me. I will still have my Apple Tv and iPad Mini, but slowly I will converting to W8 & XBOX ONE.

So, I called AT&T and pulled the, "I want to cancel my contract." In minutes, they agreed to work with me. Although I had upgraded 7 months ago, they were gonna let me upgrade again. I told 'em that I wanted the new Nokia Lumia 925, but then they told me that it was gonna be around $250 for an early upgrade... but, that they were willing to let me upgrade for the SGS4 for $180 ($20 cheaper than what it's going for). I told them that I didn't want an Android phone. She then started telling me that WP8 was no good, had zero apps, and that I would be regretting it. The SGS4 was the best phone out there ... better than the iPhone 5 and even the latest iPhone 5s..... blah... blah... blah. I was getting a little angry and told her that I wanted the NOKIA LUMIA 925, and that if she/they wouldn't let me upgrade, I would leave for TMOBILE. She put me on hold for about 5 minutes. 5 minutes passed and said, "I have the best deal right now, a SGS4 with any free accessory, free over night shipping, no upgrade fee, and $20 credit towards your bill for $160." I told her no thanks and that I just wanted to cancel. She put me on hold again, and came back and said that she could give me the NL925 for $180, free over night delivery (b.s., just received an email stating that my phone will be here on the 18th) and no upgrade fee. $80 more, but wth, I wanted this phone since it was announced back in July. I passed on the NL920 because to me it looked more like a brick. By selling the iPhone 5, I should be getting my money back plus an extra $200-- towards my SURFACE RT. :smile:
Anywho, I'm excited to be part of the Windows Phone 8 team. I refused to get an Android (although it was tempting) because of what Google is doing to MS. I will miss my Youtube app, but I hope there is a good one for WP8. I think Shamesung is up to no good with this deal/promotion. I mean, how can they offer me the SGS4 for $180 first, then bring it down to $160 plus extras?
Doesn't matter, all I know is that I held my own:cool:

Thank you and greetings from the great Northwest; Portland, OR, U.S.A.:smile:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey StillClassic29 really great to see you here at WPCentral. This is hands-down the best place you could be to get started on your WP8 experience.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Well played. Welcome aboard and enjoy that Surface (though wait for the 2, I have the one and it definitely lacks some power).

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Pretty shocking treatment from AT&T. Should customer representatives be so biased? I thought AT&T were meant to up their game with selling WP devices?

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
It may not be just AT&T, after all many of the sales staff themselves are Galaxy fans... Many even go against the guidelines of the store to promote Samsung/Galaxy phones... I have seen lot of this here in India also....

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
It may not be just AT&T, after all many of the sales staff themselves are Galaxy fans... Many even go against the guidelines of the store to promote Samsung/Galaxy phones... I have seen lot of this here in India also....

The guy that changes tires for you doesn't care who's brand tire is being pushed, any more than the people at a call center.

Until they are given real cash incentives, they don't care.

The few of them that actually use and like one platform or another will immediately be labeled as "fan boys" and dismissed by the other camp.

Not really surprising.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had issues with the death star's (at&t) customer service before myself. The difference is that they didn't cooperate with me and I left. I will never go back to them again.

I rejected android because its far buggier than WP and far less polished. I have all the apps I need now. Back in the WP7 days a couple were missing, but it didn't bother me that much. To me the most important features have always been music and email. WP7 & 8 do both pretty well. 8 even better due to the inclusion of pandora.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Just jumped ship. I am now a member of the Nokia Lumia 925 team.
I upgraded back in Feb (7 months ago) for the iPhone 5, and when I read the news that AT&T was getting the Nokia Lumia 925, I had to switch. I was an Apple/iOS user for 3 years. Although iOS 7 is a week away, nothing really impressed me. I will still have my Apple Tv and iPad Mini, but slowly I will converting to W8 & XBOX ONE.

So, I called AT&T and pulled the, "I want to cancel my contract." In minutes, they agreed to work with me. Although I had upgraded 7 months ago, they were gonna let me upgrade again. I told 'em that I wanted the new Nokia Lumia 925, but then they told me that it was gonna be around $250 for an early upgrade... but, that they were willing to let me upgrade for the SGS4 for $180 ($20 cheaper than what it's going for). I told them that I didn't want an Android phone. She then started telling me that WP8 was no good, had zero apps, and that I would be regretting it. The SGS4 was the best phone out there ... better than the iPhone 5 and even the latest iPhone 5s..... blah... blah... blah. I was getting a little angry and told her that I wanted the NOKIA LUMIA 925, and that if she/they wouldn't let me upgrade, I would leave for TMOBILE. She put me on hold for about 5 minutes. 5 minutes passed and said, "I have the best deal right now, a SGS4 with any free accessory, free over night shipping, no upgrade fee, and $20 credit towards your bill for $160." I told her no thanks and that I just wanted to cancel. She put me on hold again, and came back and said that she could give me the NL925 for $180, free over night delivery (b.s., just received an email stating that my phone will be here on the 18th) and no upgrade fee. $80 more, but wth, I wanted this phone since it was announced back in July. I passed on the NL920 because to me it looked more like a brick. By selling the iPhone 5, I should be getting my money back plus an extra $200-- towards my SURFACE RT. :smile:
Anywho, I'm excited to be part of the Windows Phone 8 team. I refused to get an Android (although it was tempting) because of what Google is doing to MS. I will miss my Youtube app, but I hope there is a good one for WP8. I think Shamesung is up to no good with this deal/promotion. I mean, how can they offer me the SGS4 for $180 first, then bring it down to $160 plus extras?
Doesn't matter, all I know is that I held my own:cool:

Thank you and greetings from the great Northwest; Portland, OR, U.S.A.:smile:

I'm a T-Mobile customer and have never experienced that kind of unprofessional treatment. I would have jumped ship if I were you.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I told the story before of when I went to the att store when my fiance went to buy her 920. It was the week that the gs4 was released, and the saleslady would not show her the 920 on display in the back of the room without giving her the rundown of the Samsung. Jenn knew well ahead of time that she wanted a Lumia, and the lady tried to talk her out of it.

Florin Nitulescu1

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
That is what I call determination and knowing what you want.Right on!
If you have any difficulties, we will help you in everything.
Welcome aboard and have a great time with your Windows Phone!

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral and windows phone! Hope you will love your new phone! :smile: It's strange that they take so much more for the 925 then the s4...

StillClassic29

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm a T-Mobile customer and have never experienced that kind of unprofessional treatment. I would have jumped ship if I were you.

I was with TMOBILE before and their coverage was garbage. That's the reason I switched to AT&T. No problems with their service, I get great reception everywhere I go. That's the reason I stay with them. Also, the ability to switch phones whenever I want (GSM/SIM CARDS) is pretty cool. Will never go with Verizon either, I had a lot more problems with their customer service.
AT&T is all right. I think they just got something going on with Shamesung at the moment. I've read somewhere that the SGS4 sales are slowing down very fast. Maybe this was the reason they were pushing me to get a SGS4.
All I know is I got what I wanted. Now the hard part... w-a-i-t-i-n-g.

Thanks everyone!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the windows phone community. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask, as that is our job to help you. Question though, why did you get the 925 instead of the 1020? Was it the price, or felt you didn't need an amazing camera?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo