Hello from an Android/Nexus user migrating to a 1020!

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've been on Android (and loved it) since my HTC Desire replaced my very disappointing Nokia N96. I currently own a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 10, both running Android 4.3. I've been following news about the Lumia 1020 since it was first rumoured, and finally got one a couple of days ago, sim-free. My reasons for switching are:

- The camera (obviously!) for high-quality photos of my family, as my daughters are 3 and 5 and growing up fast!
- SkyDrive integration (for automatic photo and video uploading, and accessing files on my PC)
- The native corporate email client (we use Microsoft Exchange Activesync at work)
- Office 365 integration (as I'm an Office 365 subscriber).
- I've pre-ordered a 256GB/8GB Surface Pro 2 to replace my Nexus 10, and my main PC is an upgraded Alienware m17x r3 laptop running Windows 8.1, so thought I'd align all my devices!

Loving it so far, although the Windows Store is like the shelves of a post-apocalypse supermarket. WP8 is far better and more mature than I expected it to be, although I do miss certain things from Android such as centralised notifications (yes, I know that's supposed to be coming soon), quiet hours (okay, that's CyanogenMod, not Android, but still very useful), quick shortcuts, and being able to use the camera without unlocking the phone. To be honest, if notifications could be made to appear on the Glance screen, centralised notifications wouldn't even be needed and Android would be but a distant memory!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to mixing with you all on this forum, contributing, and learning lots of new things!

Steve.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WP8. It's going to be interesting to learn of your continuing experience of swapping from Android.

As for one of your issues (camera waking the camera up), you can do that.

settings->applications->photos+camera

There's a setting : 'Press and hold camera button to wake up the phone'

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPC and there alot of tips and tricks you can learn here.

There also the 10K challenge to meet different members.

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys!

Yes, it will take a bit of getting used to, but that's part of the fun!

About 24 hours after I first switched the phone on, the Store live tile said it had 14 updates. I let it download them, and now it's switched some of my settings around but doesn't appear to have added anything new. For example: The "glance" and "touch" options are now separate menu items, whereas they were combined previously. Also, coming from Android, the concept of settings being updated by the store and not as part of the OS is a bit weird, but I suppose it at least allows changes to be made between OS releases.

Anyway, I must save all these comments for the correct threads, see you around!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! I am jealous you are getting a Surface Pro 2, I have the original model. It is a great device!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the board. I was thinking of getting a nexus 7 but I'm going to get a used Surface for close to the same price

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6