iOS6 - meh?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Was I the only one underwhelmed with what iOS6 has in store? I see a big opportunity for Microsoft with WP8. I hope they nail it.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Was I the only one underwhelmed with what iOS6 has in store? I see a big opportunity for Microsoft with WP8. I hope they nail it.

You not the only one buddy. The OS is now on a plateau level and will be coming down very soon if they don't take care.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Was really underwhelmed by the whole of WWDC tbh. Everything they showed was just a new spec in old designs. Starting to look like old Jonny Ive couldn't take a piss without Steve's say so.

As for iOS, unless they're hiding a bunch of features (which seems doubtful given the beta being out)then both Microsoft and Google must be rubbing their hands together. Very disappointing additions and I'm amazed that an OS update is required to add features to Siri; shouldn't that be something that is improved constantly in the background?

A lot of people in the Engadget comments seemed annoyed that there was no UI change and no widgets added and even their writers didn't seem too impressed with the maps stuff or the changes to photostream.

Despite knowing that I will never buy an iPhone or an iMac or any other Apple product after the original iPad, I always look forward to these (and any tech conference) to see what is coming in future. All in all though i thought this was a massive let down, especially after some of the amazing stuff shown at Computex.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You can rag on ios6 but MS has to step up themselves. Bringing Bing maps to all WP regions, providing a backup solution, improving notifications - these need to be addressed before saying more successful competitors are boring or not innovating. I'd rather MS see WP dominate because its actually better than because apple have no ideas.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I hold Apple and Tim Cook in high esteem, but it seems they really dropped the ball this year. Make no mistake - it was by no means a bad event. They unveiled a tonne of new hardware and there were heaps of very useful software evolutions. But I really wanted a hard hitter to come out of it that I could be truly wowed by, and for the second time in a row I was disappointed (first being the 4S announcement, where I foolishly stayed up until 3am to read the liveblogs). While the new hardware and software may be enough to keep someone in the ecosystem, they aren't enough to make me jump ship.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
You can rag on ios6 but MS has to step up themselves. Bringing Bing maps to all WP regions, providing a backup solution, improving notifications - these need to be addressed before saying more successful competitors are boring or not innovating. I'd rather MS see WP dominate because its actually better than because apple have no ideas.
Yes, of course. That's what I meant by, "I hope they nail it." If MS doesn't bring anything special to the table then they're going to stay at 2%. I think most of us assume that all the holes that are currently present will be filled in. If that's not the case they are doomed.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
we say this every year... and for some unknown reason people still cant wait to get the next iphone, or the latest ipad.... every kid wants and ipod for christmas... ect....

its branding, and something apple does extremely well...

that being said, i would never want another one... they are completely over priced, over hyped, fragile pieces of $h*t in my opinion.

cant wait for apollo... :p

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
wow i just read trough the features and apple is really running out of ideas...

- enhancement to siri... (useless)
- new map system ( not Google map ) will see how this goes..
- a place to hold your tickets? (passbook) ROLF ...
- game challenges? a rip off of achievements?
- and a copy of WP find my phone feature... lol
- FB integration.... about time? lol

every thign else is basically not worth talking about ... :giggle:

WP8 better Take advantage of this!!! and so far from what im expecting and seeing from reading up on WP8/W8+Xbox..... wp8 WILL KILL the Iphone.....

we say this every year... and for some unknown reason people still cant wait to get the next iphone, or the latest ipad.... every kid wants and ipod for Christmas... ect...

I think with the lack of innovation apple is coming out with we are gona start to see less people with a Iphone on the Xmas wish list :p lol

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I dunno - I really like some of the stuff the new iOS offers. One thing that people with kids understand - when you let your kid play with your iPad or iPhone, they sometimes do get into settings you don't want them to. I like that the new iOS will let you restrict certain actions in an app. I think that's a new feature that hasn't been talked about much.

I have an iPad 2 and my wife has an iPhone 4S - we both are appreciative of a lot of the new features iOS6 is going to add. I don't think Apple adding features is something to scoff at - the more features they add means the more Microsoft and Google have to step up their operating systems. And that's good for us.

I won't be switching to an iPhone just because of iOS6, but Microsoft had better blow us away with WP8, or all the "eye rolling" that fanboys are throwing Apple's way will soon be shifting towards Windows.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
They are running out of ideas and it truly shows.
They're resorting to stealing ideas and trying to pass them off as their own. For example, now you will be able to send a text to a caller from the call screen and let the caller know that you're busy, will call them back, etc. Isn't that a wonderful new feature. Too bad Palm Treos had them as far back as '05. In fact, all Palm OS phones had it. I hope Access sues the daylights out of Apple and gives them a taste of their own medicine.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I think was good, is the Facebook integration. It Just easier then having to go into FB to post a pic. That's 1 of the features my wife and I miss from webOS and WP7. We are waiting for WP8 to jump back to WP and ditch iOS.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Apple has always been passing off mediocre ideas as being great, or "magical" and the mainstream media (who don't know much about tech) lap it up thinking they were the first to come out with it.

Ever since Cook took over they have been lagging, using others' ideas, or coming out with minor tweaks to show how advanced they are (new ipad with higher resolution...).

Imagine if MS or another company came out with such bland new products as Apple - they would get destroyed by the media.

Last edited:

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
wp8 WILL KILL the Iphone.....

I think we have to be realistic and say that this will never happen. There may come a point where MS is believed to have the better OS in every respect amongst the tech community, but it's irrelevent when the overwhelming majority of iOS device owners bought their devices because it's made by Apple, not because of what it's capable of.

Personally, I already think that WP hands iOS a good beating (apart from the app side of things). But, if we're talking about market share, then - for the masses - it's marketing that shifts units. Right now Apple could take a turd, stick a logo on it and it would sell in the millions. You only have to look back at the features the iPhone was lacking when it was first launched, but people still went nuts over it.

MS has never had that hype, and I think it never will. You can win the tech-savvy over by giving them the things they respect (slick UI, good app support, solid hardware), but to win the general public over you're gonna need to make WP as "must have" as Apple stuff is. That's the bit I just don't think MS gets. If they are happy peaking at, say, 10% market share in a few years time then fair enough. But if they are planning on taking the top spot then they need to win the battle for the hearts and minds of the general public.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think we have to be realistic and say that this will never happen. There may come a point where MS is believed to have the better OS in every respect amongst the tech community, but it's irrelevent when the overwhelming majority of iOS device owners bought their devices because it's made by Apple, not because of what it's capable of.

Personally, I already think that WP hands iOS a good beating (apart from the app side of things). But, if we're talking about market share, then - for the masses - it's marketing that shifts units. Right now Apple could take a turd, stick a logo on it and it would sell in the millions. You only have to look back at the features the iPhone was lacking when it was first launched, but people still went nuts over it.

MS has never had that hype, and I think it never will. You can win the tech-savvy over by giving them the things they respect (slick UI, good app support, solid hardware), but to win the general public over you're gonna need to make WP as "must have" as Apple stuff is. That's the bit I just don't think MS gets. If they are happy peaking at, say, 10% market share in a few years time then fair enough. But if they are planning on taking the top spot then they need to win the battle for the hearts and minds of the general public.
It's going to take one massive Jedi mind trick to get the sheeple to look at anything that's not Apple.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
That's my concern.
I think Apple will fall. Sure, the fanboys will stay no matter what, but if WP8 is comparable or better the masses will see that a) they have many hardware choices, not just one, and b) WP8 phones and accessories will be less expensive. Apple will never relinquish control or lower their prices in order to compete, and that ultimately will be their downfall as it was in the 80s.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos