08-12-2012 02:11 PM
50 12
tools
    I use the 4S and the 900, both solid performers with +/-'s.

iPhone has the ecosystem that I've put a ton of money into, and a lot of content that has yet to make it over to WP. That is pretty nice to have. Camera is better, and I take a ton of pics for my business almost daily so this is a prime need. Obviously, pureview could change this.

900 has the UI that I definitely prefer. Email is better, contacting people is seamless, LTE is nice, and I love the love tiles with my family on the home screen. It's also just a damn cool design.

A few critical apps missing in WP (square, TwoSpoke which is a work thing I use daily for the fitness forum I moderate, Swing Timer Pro I use with my clients) that I need daily.

The gap isn't that far apart, and the only thing keeping me from full time WP is work related. My guess is wp8 will kick start some momentum, which is good because it's looking bleak for Nokia in the headlines right now and WP is still crawling toward acceptance.

Hopefully the avg consumer doesn't know there will be that big of a difference b/t 7.8 and WP 8 so a few more converts can be recruited. IHopefully the magenta 900's can spark some interest!
    07-14-2012 02:22 AM
    Hopefully the magenta 900's can spark some interest!
    Ah, if only my lass didn't hate touch-screens so much (she's still using a Sprint flip phone) I would try and get her to consider a magenta Lumia 900 or WP8 device on AT&T. That way when she comes to the UK... she can just go to an O2 or 3 Store, pop in the PAYG SIM, top up, and away she goes.

Off-topic: What is AT&T signal like in Minnesota?
    07-14-2012 03:38 AM
    iPhone is a very good phone and capable phone.

Sounds like you want to hate the phone
    The truth is I've always hated the iPhone since the first release. However, this is a new job and I was given the same phone the rest of my team uses so I was determined to make it work and to try to see it through new eyes. The problem is that I know what they're trying to do. Apple is manipulating people with the marketing. They give you stickers with Apple logos as if to say, "Welcome to the club." The case is like a tank, but there is a cut-out so the Apple logo is prominently displayed so everyone can see you're in the club. They set your email signature as both an advertisement for them and also as yet further proof that you belong. It is disgusting, in my opinion.

That it is fragile is just something that I as a smart shopper would never have accepted. Some put form over function, but not me.

The 4:3 screen makes the phone looks wide and fat, which is unappealing to me. The soft keyboard makes my thumbs cramp up after a couple of minutes. I cannot put the cursor anywhere in a word other than at the front or the back. Email setup on my WP was fast and did not require much information. On iPhone it could not setup automatically and needed me to manually put in the server, domain, user account etc. This was surprising to me as I had always thought iPhone's Exchange ActiveSync implementation was pretty good. I suppose if i had never used a WP then I'd be happier, but that is not the case.

In conclusion, I have yet to find a redeeming quality to iPhone when compared to my WP. I will keep trying, though.

The "ecosystem" is irrelevant to me since i am not allowed to install apps. Even on my WP i don't use many apps, so i don't think that would've mattered much.
    snowmutt and soulzero like this.
    07-14-2012 08:29 AM
    The truth is I've always hated the iPhone since the first release. However, this is a new job and I was given the same phone the rest of my team uses so I was determined to make it work and to try to see it through new eyes. The problem is that I know what they're trying to do. Apple is manipulating people with the marketing. They give you stickers with Apple logos as if to say, "Welcome to the club." The case is like a tank, but there is a cut-out so the Apple logo is prominently displayed so everyone can see you're in the club. They set your email signature as both an advertisement for them and also as yet further proof that you belong. It is disgusting, in my opinion.

That it is fragile is just something that I as a smart shopper would never have accepted. Some put form over function, but not me.

The 4:3 screen makes the phone looks wide and fat, which is unappealing to me. The soft keyboard makes my thumbs cramp up after a couple of minutes. I cannot put the cursor anywhere in a word other than at the front or the back. Email setup on my WP was fast and did not require much information. On iPhone it could not setup automatically and needed me to manually put in the server, domain, user account etc. This was surprising to me as I had always thought iPhone's Exchange ActiveSync implementation was pretty good. I suppose if i had never used a WP then I'd be happier, but that is not the case.

In conclusion, I have yet to find a redeeming quality to iPhone when compared to my WP. I will keep trying, though.

The "ecosystem" is irrelevant to me since i am not allowed to install apps. Even on my WP i don't use many apps, so i don't think that would've mattered much.
    If you long press on text you'll see a little magnifying glass pop up, that's how you move the cursor around so it doesn't have to be at the beginning or end of a word. The case is not made by Apple, so I wouldn't fault them for having a cut out for the logo. Also, the stickers have been included for YEARS, long before Apple was anywhere near on top again. I remember they came with my old G3 iBook, before the iPod was even out. Again I'm not trying to defend Apple, I just feel like you're looking for every fault you can find.

Not being able to install apps is ridiculous though, especially if you're using it for business use. There are tons of apps that make business use easier.
    lippidp likes this.
    07-14-2012 12:18 PM
    .... LTE is nice, and I love the love tiles with my family on the home screen.
    Awww. :blush::D
    snowmutt likes this.
    07-14-2012 01:03 PM
    Even though I'm not a fan of the iPhone, I wouldn't go as far as to say it sucks. I mean if someone gave me one for free, I'd keep it as a second or backup phone.
    Really? I would do one of 2 things depending on which model it was:
    4 or older-give it to my kids as a WiFi only toy
    4s-sell it and use the money for a Pureview WP8!
    snowmutt and soulzero like this.
    07-14-2012 06:26 PM
    Do not anger iPhone! And in terms of the number argument, numbers equal a successful product campaign and that's it. It doesn't mean it's a better product than anything else. See Justin Bieber, Harry Potter, and any number of fads that sold millions but really are mediocre at best in terms of talent/ability/etc. I can bet you something crazy like 80% of iPhone users have probably never used another device and are so locked into the iSystem that they'd fear to stray.
    Going to disagree with you on one point. As a musician, I have to concede that even though Bieber's "music" is TERRIBLE, he is an extremely talented individual.
    07-14-2012 06:30 PM
    First off: As a man who prides himself on amusing threads and/or comments from time to time, allow me to say to lippidp:

Easily the funniest thread starter in a long, long time. Freaking amusing. Thanks, big Dawg!!

I have had plenty of time with the 3Gs and the 4. And allow me to say I find them to be good phones. However, they are truly a product of timing. If Apple released iOS at the same time that Microsoft kicked off WP 7 and Palm let WebOS out of the gate, does anyone who wishes to be truthful truly think Apple would have come out ahead on this one? Not a stinking chance. But, they were first. They came along when Windows Mobile and BlackBerry owned the landscape for business, and there was very little entertainment value in peoples phones. Apple changed that. Yes, it is a glorified app launcher with only moderate skills built into the OS. But, it is an American original (built in china, of course). It is still king, and the king will not be removed from his perch easily. It is dependable, easy to use, and leaps and bounds ahead of other OS's with iTunes and app development. Local apps are built for Apple first, Android next, sometimes maybe BlackBerry. Apple supports their products, has a secure system, and a legion of fans willing to pay premium for those services.

MS may have a strong chance to get to 15% - 20% world wide sales and compete for third place in the OS wars in the next 2 years, but Apple and Android are too far ahead to see a realistic chance to pass them.

So what???? I wouldn't have left WebOS for Apple if HP didn't make me, apps or no apps. Nobody is prying my WP from me until MS forces me too, either. Not for Apple, that is for sure.
    lippidp likes this.
    07-15-2012 12:38 AM
    Last night i went to my cousins house and there was about 8 of us and only 1 person did not have an iphone (me). I was basically the odd one out but it felt good, ive played with so many iphones and i just miss my windows phone so much. Theres nothing that exciting anymore about it and i too just dont get it. I dont get whats so "beautiful" or "amazing" about it, and i know it has an abundance of apps in the marketplace but quite frankly this has led to many iphones being cluttered. Everyone i know who has an iphone hardly uses the apps they download. For now its the craze to own an iphone but i hope people will start looking else where to find a real diamond of a phone cough cough AHEM a windows phone... Oh hello windows phone i love those lovely live tiles you're flashing at me!
    ... Byebye iphone i got better things to hold ;)
    snowmutt likes this.
    07-15-2012 06:33 AM
    yeah the iphone really sucks, just ask the 41 million people who own one...

I love my wp7, it's my device of choice, but saying the iphone sucks is pretty funny. I definitely prefer wp7, but I certainly wouldn't say it's a bad phone.
    Exactly.

Go check out the selection and quality of apps, then compare that to what we have in WP and tell us the iPhone sucks. :lol:
    07-15-2012 12:00 PM
    Last night i went to my cousins house and there was about 8 of us and only 1 person did not have an iphone (me). I was basically the odd one out but it felt good, ive played with so many iphones and i just miss my windows phone so much. Theres nothing that exciting anymore about it and i too just dont get it. I dont get whats so "beautiful" or "amazing" about it, and i know it has an abundance of apps in the marketplace but quite frankly this has led to many iphones being cluttered. Everyone i know who has an iphone hardly uses the apps they download. For now its the craze to own an iphone but i hope people will start looking else where to find a real diamond of a phone cough cough AHEM a windows phone... Oh hello windows phone i love those lovely live tiles you're flashing at me!
    ... Byebye iphone i got better things to hold ;)
    Windows Phone is a diamond, but it's still a diamond in the rough. Until we have some basic elementary stuff taken care of, like notifications, separate volume controls for alarms and media and multitasking that works properly and doesn't re-launch apps with a splash screen, then thumbing our noses at the iPhone is quite premature.

I'm on the WP team, don't get me wrong. But WP has it's work cut out for it. The general concept is VERY sound and very well thought out though, and that's why it's easy for me to overlook some of these faux pas... for now.
    07-15-2012 12:03 PM
    Do not anger iPhone! And in terms of the number argument, numbers equal a successful product campaign and that's it. It doesn't mean it's a better product than anything else. See Justin Bieber, Harry Potter, and any number of fads that sold millions but really are mediocre at best in terms of talent/ability/etc. I can bet you something crazy like 80% of iPhone users have probably never used another device and are so locked into the iSystem that they'd fear to stray.
    selfcreation likes this.
    07-15-2012 12:08 PM
    Well I use iPhone for development purposes and for my second SIM card but WP7 is my primary phone.

There are several things that I really hate at iOS on iPhone.

WP7 has tiles and every application has a name written in that tile. iOS has a jungle of icons and if you’re not familiar with an icon you’re searching and searching and searching to get the right application. In the mean time you just start using WP7 at first.

iOS is just an application launcher while WP7 has hubs. When you’re searching for a person in your contact list using WP7 you get all the info about that person at once including feeds, photos, etc. You really don’t need one million applications for that.

The back key is really missing on iPhone. When on WP7 you simply press the back button and you leave the application. But with iPhone? I always forget to log off from Skype so people really think I’m online and they start calling me when I really don’t like that.

Just a few things I really hate at iPhone but here are lots more.
    07-15-2012 01:12 PM
    The back key is really missing on iPhone. When on WP7 you simply press the back button and you leave the application. But with iPhone? I always forget to log off from Skype so people really think Im online and they start calling me when I really dont like that.
    Well, that's certainly a unique and interesting perspective. I think you're probably going to be disappointed with WP8 then, because developers will be able to use VOIP APIs to keep programs like Skype running in the background. You'll have pretty much the same problem with WP8 until you learn to log off from Skype when you're done.
    07-15-2012 09:57 PM
    Thankfully I don't have to. :)
    07-15-2012 10:00 PM
    the ux design choices in ios really annoy me. multitasking is painful to do. sype swype swype and swype to the right some more... all the app icons are rounded off boxes. nothing as good as the asymmetrical icons in osx. and the greyish colored menu's bring me back to the days of windows mobile.

if apple copied everything from web os and brought it to ios 7 then i might once again pick up an iphone. infact they dont have to copy they can just use the open source material provided by hp. infact it kinda goes inline with the liquid design of osx stated by the late steve jobs in 2001.
    07-15-2012 10:18 PM
    Well, that's certainly a unique and interesting perspective. I think you're probably going to be disappointed with WP8 then, because developers will be able to use VOIP APIs to keep programs like Skype running in the background. You'll have pretty much the same problem with WP8 until you learn to log off from Skype when you're done.
    He has the back button. Once he uses it, it closes the app.
    07-15-2012 10:40 PM
    To bad that number isn't correct. It should be dated back to 2007, not 2011. The numbers don't add up.
    There was a "100 million iPhones sold" announcement in March 2011, then I bolted on quarterly results. I'm not saying my numbers are perfect, but the figure is close to 200 million.

Yeah, but I would still prefer a Lincoln over a Ford. They both get you where you need to go. And they don't sell all that many Lincoln's.
    Agreed, and I'm certainly not considering an iPhone in the slightest - too many core UI issues. I am terribly tempted by Android, since with a tonne of tweaking and new Holo apps it does look pretty (if slightly similar to Metro for some reason).
    07-16-2012 12:45 AM
    What are holo apps? Can they make what apperas on the screen holographic?
    07-16-2012 11:33 PM
    How about you actually use it for a couple of days before you make any judgments?
    It's been a few days and it keeps getting more annoying. I had an email in my Drafts folder. I thought I'd finish it up and send it. Nope. I could open it and read it, but could not edit or send it. All the little icons have no explanation as to what they do. It's like I'm supposed to know Apple iSign Language or something. I mean, in time and suffering through trial and error I'll get it, but until then it really is just annoying.
    07-17-2012 12:42 AM
    yeah having lots of apps is very over rated ,, I saw a ssurvey saying that only 10% ( more or less ) of APPS are actually being downloaded or used from the App store.

when the Iphone has over 500k apps meaning only 50k apps get used....( more or less)

aside from that the Iphone has nothing special aside from app count witch as you can see is useless.

but obviously some people will argue that copy/past on Iphone is better and so on and so forth.... hehe :giggle::happy::giggle:
    Even if only 10% of apps are used, iOS does have a better selection of useful apps overall. Most apps are released for iOS first, Android second and then maybe WP or Blackberry.

Sure the whole app count is ridiculous, it's not quantity but quality that matters, but iOS does have the top quality for now.
    07-18-2012 07:59 AM
    What are holo apps? Can they make what apperas on the screen holographic?
    Holo's the Android 4.x theme. Apart from the home screen and icons, it looks pretty neat.
    07-20-2012 10:08 PM
    It doesn't sucks. Takes getting used to if you are formerly invested in a previous OS
    07-28-2012 03:03 AM
    Impossible to send an email marked High Priority. This thing is a useless ****ing piece of ****. They couldn't manage to code that in within the past 5 ****ing years!!!!
    08-11-2012 05:30 PM
    Holo's the Android 4.x theme. Apart from the home screen and icons, it looks pretty neat.
    Late thank you for that answer :-)
    08-12-2012 02:11 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD