iPhone. I got it but I don't get it.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Do not anger iPhone! And in terms of the number argument, numbers equal a successful product campaign and that's it. It doesn't mean it's a better product than anything else. See Justin Bieber, Harry Potter, and any number of fads that sold millions but really are mediocre at best in terms of talent/ability/etc. I can bet you something crazy like 80% of iPhone users have probably never used another device and are so locked into the iSystem that they'd fear to stray.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
could be, i just did a quick search and that was the first number that came up, 41 mil; 100 mil makes more sense, less than 10 mil a year seems really low now that I think about it
100 million sales as of March 2011, and I believe over 200 million to date (adding quarterly reports to that 100 million figure).

yeah having lots of apps is very over rated ,, I saw a ssurvey saying that only 10% ( more or less ) of APPS are actually being downloaded or used from the App store. when the Iphone has over 500k apps meaning only 50k apps get used....( more or less)
And I doubt that number is much different for Windows Phone (I'd actually expect it to be lower), so we only have 10k apps getting used. We're still behind by a considerable margin; we have 100k, but every time a new local service, budding Internet site or hit title drops, they are iOS and Android. There are no local news apps that measure up to pinning mobile sites (ick), and there's no decent app for public transport in my city. There's no official Pinterest or Tumblr app, and the third-party alternatives are limited. We have pretty much none of the fads you will see on iOS & Android, or we get them 12 months late.

Windows Phone 7 is a laggard in many, many regards. There are aspects I wouldn't want to give up - the ecosystem of trial software, the UI, the whole navigation paradigm - but ultimately, I don't think those aspects are enough to place it ahead of the pack. Here's to hoping for a better situation come Windows Phone 8.

Last edited:

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
100 million sales as of March 2011, and I believe over 200 million to date (adding quarterly reports to that 100 million figure).

And I doubt that number is much different for Windows Phone (I'd actually expect it to be lower), so we only have 10k apps getting used. We're still behind by a considerable margin; we have 100k, but every time a new local service, budding Internet site or hit title drops, they are iOS and Android. There are no local news apps that measure up to pinning mobile sites (ick), and there's no decent app for public transport in my city. There's no official Pinterest or Tumblr app, and the third-party alternatives are limited. We have pretty much none of the fads you will see on iOS & Android, or we get them 12 months late.

Windows Phone 7 is a laggard in many, many regards. There are aspects I wouldn't want to give up - the ecosystem of trial software, the UI, the whole navigation paradigm - but ultimately, I don't think those aspects are enough to place it ahead of the pack. Here's to hoping for a better situation come Windows Phone 8.

To bad that number isn't correct. It should be dated back to 2007, not 2011. The numbers don't add up.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but I would still prefer a Lincoln over a Ford. They both get you where you need to go. And they don't sell all that many Lincoln's.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I was just given "iPhone" for work. It's not "The iPhone" or "an iPhone", it's "iPhone." I'm already annoyed with that little nugget of pretentiousness. One of the first things it says in the cutesy "Finger Tips" guide is that iPhone is fragile and iPhone has glass on the front and back. I immediately went to the IT guy and asked if I was liable for iPhone when iPhone gets damaged. He said yes so I requested a case for precious iPhone. I was given this huge tank-like military-grade case that took me 15 minutes to get the damn phone in it.

Talk about a bad first impression.

I tediously set up my email and now have a new friend in the backspace key. iPhone has so far been nothing but a pain in i***, is more like iBrick, and harks back to i1997 with the 4:3 iScreen. iI idon't iunderstand iwhy ipeople ilove ithis ihonker iso imuch.

Honestly I think your judgements thus far are based on your assumptions of what the device is rather than what it actually is.

I've owned every iPhone that's been released, and while I don't use one anymore to say it's bad doesn't make sense to me. It has great industrial design, and yes it's made of glass but comparison drop tests with other phones show it's on par with others. I'm also pretty sure that when you boot up your windows phone it doesn't say "a windows phone" or "the windows phone". Phones are pretty much named this way, and the reason for that is that "iPhone" is the name of the specific product, not the category. You can say that you have a smartphone, but it would not be correct to say that you have "smartphone" unless the name of said phone was "smartphone".

Your first impression is also the non apple case your IT department gave you, that's certainly not Apple's fault either. When I got my HTC Trophy, one of the things I did was try the keyboard out, and I was happy that it was finally another on screen keyboard that was on par with the iPhone's. Like it or not it set a certain standard and that's what other manufacturers have worked towards.

I'm not trying to defend Apple or the iPhone here, I just think you should give it a fair shake. Enjoy the fact that almost all apps are available for it first, that there's an ecosystem of accessories that's unmatched by any other platform, and that even if it's boring it's a pretty reliable phone.... Then set it down when you get home and pick up your Windows Phone again and remember why you chose fresh and new over stagnant and old.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I use the 4S and the 900, both solid performers with +/-'s.

iPhone has the ecosystem that I've put a ton of money into, and a lot of content that has yet to make it over to WP. That is pretty nice to have. Camera is better, and I take a ton of pics for my business almost daily so this is a prime need. Obviously, pureview could change this.

900 has the UI that I definitely prefer. Email is better, contacting people is seamless, LTE is nice, and I love the love tiles with my family on the home screen. It's also just a damn cool design.

A few critical apps missing in WP (square, TwoSpoke which is a work thing I use daily for the fitness forum I moderate, Swing Timer Pro I use with my clients) that I need daily.

The gap isn't that far apart, and the only thing keeping me from full time WP is work related. My guess is wp8 will kick start some momentum, which is good because it's looking bleak for Nokia in the headlines right now and WP is still crawling toward acceptance.

Hopefully the avg consumer doesn't know there will be that big of a difference b/t 7.8 and WP 8 so a few more converts can be recruited. IHopefully the magenta 900's can spark some interest!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully the magenta 900's can spark some interest!

Ah, if only my lass didn't hate touch-screens so much (she's still using a Sprint flip phone) I would try and get her to consider a magenta Lumia 900 or WP8 device on AT&T. That way when she comes to the UK... she can just go to an O2 or 3 Store, pop in the PAYG SIM, top up, and away she goes.

Off-topic: What is AT&T signal like in Minnesota?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
iPhone is a very good phone and capable phone.

Sounds like you want to hate the phone
The truth is I've always hated the iPhone since the first release. However, this is a new job and I was given the same phone the rest of my team uses so I was determined to make it work and to try to see it through new eyes. The problem is that I know what they're trying to do. Apple is manipulating people with the marketing. They give you stickers with Apple logos as if to say, "Welcome to the club." The case is like a tank, but there is a cut-out so the Apple logo is prominently displayed so everyone can see you're in the club. They set your email signature as both an advertisement for them and also as yet further proof that you belong. It is disgusting, in my opinion.

That it is fragile is just something that I as a smart shopper would never have accepted. Some put form over function, but not me.

The 4:3 screen makes the phone looks wide and fat, which is unappealing to me. The soft keyboard makes my thumbs cramp up after a couple of minutes. I cannot put the cursor anywhere in a word other than at the front or the back. Email setup on my WP was fast and did not require much information. On iPhone it could not setup automatically and needed me to manually put in the server, domain, user account etc. This was surprising to me as I had always thought iPhone's Exchange ActiveSync implementation was pretty good. I suppose if i had never used a WP then I'd be happier, but that is not the case.

In conclusion, I have yet to find a redeeming quality to iPhone when compared to my WP. I will keep trying, though.

The "ecosystem" is irrelevant to me since i am not allowed to install apps. Even on my WP i don't use many apps, so i don't think that would've mattered much.

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
The truth is I've always hated the iPhone since the first release. However, this is a new job and I was given the same phone the rest of my team uses so I was determined to make it work and to try to see it through new eyes. The problem is that I know what they're trying to do. Apple is manipulating people with the marketing. They give you stickers with Apple logos as if to say, "Welcome to the club." The case is like a tank, but there is a cut-out so the Apple logo is prominently displayed so everyone can see you're in the club. They set your email signature as both an advertisement for them and also as yet further proof that you belong. It is disgusting, in my opinion.

That it is fragile is just something that I as a smart shopper would never have accepted. Some put form over function, but not me.

The 4:3 screen makes the phone looks wide and fat, which is unappealing to me. The soft keyboard makes my thumbs cramp up after a couple of minutes. I cannot put the cursor anywhere in a word other than at the front or the back. Email setup on my WP was fast and did not require much information. On iPhone it could not setup automatically and needed me to manually put in the server, domain, user account etc. This was surprising to me as I had always thought iPhone's Exchange ActiveSync implementation was pretty good. I suppose if i had never used a WP then I'd be happier, but that is not the case.

In conclusion, I have yet to find a redeeming quality to iPhone when compared to my WP. I will keep trying, though.

The "ecosystem" is irrelevant to me since i am not allowed to install apps. Even on my WP i don't use many apps, so i don't think that would've mattered much.

If you long press on text you'll see a little magnifying glass pop up, that's how you move the cursor around so it doesn't have to be at the beginning or end of a word. The case is not made by Apple, so I wouldn't fault them for having a cut out for the logo. Also, the stickers have been included for YEARS, long before Apple was anywhere near on top again. I remember they came with my old G3 iBook, before the iPod was even out. Again I'm not trying to defend Apple, I just feel like you're looking for every fault you can find.

Not being able to install apps is ridiculous though, especially if you're using it for business use. There are tons of apps that make business use easier.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Even though I'm not a fan of the iPhone, I wouldn't go as far as to say it sucks. I mean if someone gave me one for free, I'd keep it as a second or backup phone.

Really? I would do one of 2 things depending on which model it was:
4 or older-give it to my kids as a WiFi only toy
4s-sell it and use the money for a Pureview WP8!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Do not anger iPhone! And in terms of the number argument, numbers equal a successful product campaign and that's it. It doesn't mean it's a better product than anything else. See Justin Bieber, Harry Potter, and any number of fads that sold millions but really are mediocre at best in terms of talent/ability/etc. I can bet you something crazy like 80% of iPhone users have probably never used another device and are so locked into the iSystem that they'd fear to stray.

Going to disagree with you on one point. As a musician, I have to concede that even though Bieber's "music" is TERRIBLE, he is an extremely talented individual.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First off: As a man who prides himself on amusing threads and/or comments from time to time, allow me to say to lippidp:

Easily the funniest thread starter in a long, long time. Freaking amusing. Thanks, big Dawg!!

I have had plenty of time with the 3Gs and the 4. And allow me to say I find them to be good phones. However, they are truly a product of timing. If Apple released iOS at the same time that Microsoft kicked off WP 7 and Palm let WebOS out of the gate, does anyone who wishes to be truthful truly think Apple would have come out ahead on this one? Not a stinking chance. But, they were first. They came along when Windows Mobile and BlackBerry owned the landscape for business, and there was very little entertainment value in peoples phones. Apple changed that. Yes, it is a glorified app launcher with only moderate skills built into the OS. But, it is an American original (built in china, of course). It is still king, and the king will not be removed from his perch easily. It is dependable, easy to use, and leaps and bounds ahead of other OS's with iTunes and app development. Local apps are built for Apple first, Android next, sometimes maybe BlackBerry. Apple supports their products, has a secure system, and a legion of fans willing to pay premium for those services.

MS may have a strong chance to get to 15% - 20% world wide sales and compete for third place in the OS wars in the next 2 years, but Apple and Android are too far ahead to see a realistic chance to pass them.

So what???? I wouldn't have left WebOS for Apple if HP didn't make me, apps or no apps. Nobody is prying my WP from me until MS forces me too, either. Not for Apple, that is for sure.

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Last night i went to my cousins house and there was about 8 of us and only 1 person did not have an iphone (me). I was basically the odd one out but it felt good, ive played with so many iphones and i just miss my windows phone so much. Theres nothing that exciting anymore about it and i too just dont get it. I dont get whats so "beautiful" or "amazing" about it, and i know it has an abundance of apps in the marketplace but quite frankly this has led to many iphones being cluttered. Everyone i know who has an iphone hardly uses the apps they download. For now its the craze to own an iphone but i hope people will start looking else where to find a real diamond of a phone cough cough AHEM a windows phone... Oh hello windows phone i love those lovely live tiles you're flashing at me!
... Byebye iphone i got better things to hold ;)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
yeah the iphone really sucks, just ask the 41 million people who own one...

I love my wp7, it's my device of choice, but saying the iphone sucks is pretty funny. I definitely prefer wp7, but I certainly wouldn't say it's a bad phone.

Exactly.

Go check out the selection and quality of apps, then compare that to what we have in WP and tell us the iPhone sucks. :lol:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Last night i went to my cousins house and there was about 8 of us and only 1 person did not have an iphone (me). I was basically the odd one out but it felt good, ive played with so many iphones and i just miss my windows phone so much. Theres nothing that exciting anymore about it and i too just dont get it. I dont get whats so "beautiful" or "amazing" about it, and i know it has an abundance of apps in the marketplace but quite frankly this has led to many iphones being cluttered. Everyone i know who has an iphone hardly uses the apps they download. For now its the craze to own an iphone but i hope people will start looking else where to find a real diamond of a phone cough cough AHEM a windows phone... Oh hello windows phone i love those lovely live tiles you're flashing at me!
... Byebye iphone i got better things to hold ;)

Windows Phone is a diamond, but it's still a diamond in the rough. Until we have some basic elementary stuff taken care of, like notifications, separate volume controls for alarms and media and multitasking that works properly and doesn't re-launch apps with a splash screen, then thumbing our noses at the iPhone is quite premature.

I'm on the WP team, don't get me wrong. But WP has it's work cut out for it. The general concept is VERY sound and very well thought out though, and that's why it's easy for me to overlook some of these faux pas... for now.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

MbbGj.gif

croceamors

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Well I use iPhone for development purposes and for my second SIM card but WP7 is my primary phone.

There are several things that I really hate at iOS on iPhone.

WP7 has tiles and every application has a name written in that tile. iOS has a jungle of icons and if you’re not familiar with an icon you’re searching and searching and searching to get the right application. In the mean time you just start using WP7 at first.

iOS is just an application launcher while WP7 has hubs. When you’re searching for a person in your contact list using WP7 you get all the info about that person at once including feeds, photos, etc. You really don’t need one million applications for that.

The back key is really missing on iPhone. When on WP7 you simply press the back button and you leave the application. But with iPhone? I always forget to log off from Skype so people really think I’m online and they start calling me when I really don’t like that.

Just a few things I really hate at iPhone but here are lots more.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The back key is really missing on iPhone. When on WP7 you simply press the back button and you leave the application. But with iPhone? I always forget to log off from Skype so people really think I?m online and they start calling me when I really don?t like that.

Well, that's certainly a unique and interesting perspective. I think you're probably going to be disappointed with WP8 then, because developers will be able to use VOIP APIs to keep programs like Skype running in the background. You'll have pretty much the same problem with WP8 until you learn to log off from Skype when you're done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion