iPhone 5 stats

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
They described it as 22% faster or something like that. I dunno. That's why I declared it a "who cares", lol.

The GPU is important, and I think theirs is good, but I don't think the other platforms are anything to scoff at with a fine-tuned platform. I guess we'll see when WP8 is announced with some game support. Native code access is going to help tremendously.

I think they said 22% smaller but twice as much general purpose computing power as the old iPhone. Still, that doesn't sound incredibly impressive to me ;)

Everything on the iPhone is implemented in native code... it has been that way since 2007. I don't think any amount of clever programming will make up for the difference in raw computing power between the iPhone5 and WP8 GPU's, at least not if my expectations of the iPhone5's GPU are correct (hope I am totally utterly wrong).

Last edited:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Never mind the SoC, what I want to know is will WP8 have SmartGlass and if so, will it work to stream video to any Windows 8 PC?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
"And one more thing...we failed..."

Ahahahahaa....I still can't get the presentation out of my head...

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is an amazing device. I like how it is made for one handed use. Its so hard to type with my G2 when typing one handed. And the iPhone fixes that. But the Nokia stays ahead in terms of design and technology. Apple loves rejoice, your new flagship -- while amazing -- will be surpassed Nov 2 2012.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
.....LTE ... Yep. Just like everyone else has had for as long as a year in some cases, months in others.

No NFC. Lame.....

I think we have all heard that their use of LTE is going to end up in a patent lawsuit.

I read somewhere that Apple was making their own NFC type technology. The current NFC technology is owned by Motorola and another company, Gentag, or something like that. Apple would have to pay to use it.

If Apple can up with their own NFC type technology, they'll want the industry to adapt to their standard, because Apple is the White Knight that sits high on a White Horse. :D

tommikovski

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I watched the Apple Keynote yesterday and in the end it was boring. And me? I am disappointed.

First to say, i?m an Apple fan (not a ******) and i really like their products. Their look and feel was unique for a long time and i loved to use them. But after presenting their new products it left me in a "who really cares?" kinda state. Nothing really new, nothing groundbreaking different everything was foreseen - The whole thing did not feel like an Apple event at all.

What happened to "Think different"? My guess is that Nokia has assumed this phrase for their design and Microsoft for WP7 / W8.

Besides my personal letdown, the iPhones hardware is really nice. The bodywork and detail astonishing. It?s the kind of device you can buy without thinking because Apple won?t release a product that does not surpass is predecessor (Even if it is an exact look alike).

I will buy the iPhone 5 because i need it for work and i already sold my slightly aged iPhone 4. But my daily driver will become the Lumia920 - The design, functionality and innovation are on WP8s side this time.

Cheers,
Tom

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I think we have all heard that their use of LTE is going to end up in a patent lawsuit.

I read somewhere that Apple was making their own NFC type technology. The current NFC technology is owned by Motorola and another company, Gentag, or something like that. Apple would have to pay to use it.

If Apple can up with their own NFC type technology, they'll want the industry to adapt to their standard, because Apple is the White Knight that sits high on a White Horse. :D

It has nothing to do with fees. NFC is an open standard. And that's the problem. Apple doesn't control it, so they won't use it.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It has nothing to do with fees. NFC is an open standard. And that's the problem. Apple doesn't control it, so they won't use it.

Precisely. Enter Lightning Port instead of Micro-USB port... creates a brand new accessories sales boost, massive profit off the $2 adapter selling for $30, and ignores the fact that Apple signed off on the Micro-USB standard.

I think they said 22% smaller but twice as much general purpose computing power as the old iPhone. Still, that doesn't sound incredibly impressive to me ;)

Ah, yes, you're correct on that. Honestly, I call shenanigans on the "twice as fast" comment. Twice as fast on paper, sure, but they still have to make apps that use it. It's the same "cores" argument that's been raging here for weeks, lol. An app has to implement proper threading in order to use it, and most simple apps don't have that nor do they need/benefit from it.

Then again, a girl at work with an iPhone 4S and it's runs slow as crap (no idea what all she's installed on it), but it lags every time she has me look at it to fix something. I make fun of it all the time, so I hope the iPhone 5 really is twice as fast, lol.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Precisely. Enter Lightning Port instead of Micro-USB port... creates a brand new accessories sales boost, massive profit off the $2 adapter selling for $30, and ignores the fact that Apple signed off on the Micro-USB standard.

The question is surely, could Apple have created a MicroUSB->Dock connector dongle, at a reasonable price, that would maintain backwards compatibility.

Not only that, but if a MicroUSB->Dock connection dongle existed, the android community would reverse engineer the communication protocol, and make every single iAccessory compatible with Android. Over night, one massive advantage of the iEco System levelled in a simple move.

Faux Carnival

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5 is trash but marketing is what counts today... And Apple does it well.

I hope Nokia and Microsoft enters the global market aggressively, because if not they will FAIL. You can't make the average customer buy Lumia 920, which he hasn't heard of, over the "magical" iPhone 5.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Can't believe apple screw it up so hard. But to be honest the jumped from the 3Gs to the 4Gs was so high that it will be impossible to recreate that again.

Still I would prefer Nokia to take some cues from Apple, better technology but thinner and lighter Nokia, nobody wants to carry a brick. (The 920 weights almost like two Iphone 5)

I know there's a bunch of Samsung haters out here but no other phone can compare to the Galaxy 3 as of yet.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I think that the hardware is top notch, but it's the software that's letting Apple down. It's definitely an engineering feat to cram what they did into such an overall package. It's just a shame that the phone's running iOS, which at this point is playing catch up when it comes to features. It'll make a lot of people happy but I'll pass.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ah, yes, you're correct on that. Honestly, I call shenanigans on the "twice as fast" comment. Twice as fast on paper, sure, but they still have to make apps that use it. It's the same "cores" argument that's been raging here for weeks, lol. A

Nah, I don't think they are lying. Twice as fast would put them on a level playing field (or slightly below) the Lumia WP8 devices, nothing more, and that seems realistic. It's also a dual-core CPU, so I doubt the iOS developers would have any adapting to do on that basis... I'm assuming that was done long ago.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I think that the hardware is top notch, but it's the software that's letting Apple down. It's definitely an engineering feat to cram what they did into such an overall package. It's just a shame that the phone's running iOS, which at this point is playing catch up when it comes to features. It'll make a lot of people happy but I'll pass.

Well if I'm going to be honest. If the Iphone 5 was on T-mobile, I would get it asap. IOS is tried and true.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Well if I'm going to be honest. If the Iphone 5 was on T-mobile, I would get it asap. IOS is tried and true.

There's nothing wrong with liking iOS. There are certain things that I like about Android, iOS, WP, and even BlackBerry. We all have different needs and it's great to have such viable options available.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, IOS is really really really boring. But I'm at a point when I just want something to work.

That's where I'm at atm. I'm actually bored of watching the market and just wanna get something that works and is well supported and move on to real life things that are more important.

I may get one, in a few months. I'm absolutely exhausted of these big phones and buzzword riddled marketing (pure motion, clear black, preview, etc.). They're all guilty of this, though.

EarPods has to be the dumbest name I've ever heard, but the design is nice so I'm getting some.

Better camera, bigger screen with more pixels. iTunes 11 coming with social integration and the fact that I know Microsoft supports iOS about as good as their own platform makes it a bit of a winner at the moment. I will wait and see for a few months, though. I AM on AT&T and with them crippling functionality is may have to move to Verizon, who has LTE here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
What I have found really interesting after "trolling" some comments on articles good/bad on the new iPhone 5.

No matter who you are, young or old, rich or poor, it seems that Apple loyalists will insult and try to defend the new phone at any cost. I find this very disturbing, as I see the new iPhone as only a phone that partially keeps up to what the new phones offer.

But when they start saying things like "best phone ever" or "its revolutionary" I find that hard to take. Sure it is the "best iPhone ever" as it is faster, lighter and thinner, but did anyone really expect it to be slower, heavier and fatter?

This is called product evolution, if Nokia, Samsung, HTC were to come out with a single phone like the iPhone5 after a whole year of development it would be called a disaster by current users and by Apple users.

I think the key point here is that some ppl are just far too gone, and if they can actually see what they are typing and break free of the "apple-juice" they've been fed they might actually realize how rude or how blind they really are.

Apple did make great products, they forced the industry to kick it up a bunch of notches, but as the other companies have excelled and innovated, Apple has definitely taken a back seat.

It took me about an hour to finally have a friend admit the new Nano has a similar form factor and shape as the lumia.. for the longest time, he couldn't or wouldn't admit it and I thought he was crazy.

Apple has the marketing, and they will have their loyal customers to push out 10 million plus iPhone 5s I am sure, but they still only have 17% market share which to me isn't enough for them to speak as tho Apple is "the best thing evar".

These are just my opinions, please don't flame me, I am no ****** of any platform, I just like my Lumia 900 as it works for me and treats me well.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a community that said specs didn't matter when their phones were limited to 2 year old hardware?

Not sure if serious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs