09-21-2012 11:09 PM
71 123
tools
    I watched the Apple Keynote yesterday and in the end it was boring. And me? I am disappointed.

First to say, im an Apple fan (not a fanboy) and i really like their products. Their look and feel was unique for a long time and i loved to use them. But after presenting their new products it left me in a "who really cares?" kinda state. Nothing really new, nothing groundbreaking different everything was foreseen - The whole thing did not feel like an Apple event at all.

What happened to "Think different"? My guess is that Nokia has assumed this phrase for their design and Microsoft for WP7 / W8.

Besides my personal letdown, the iPhones hardware is really nice. The bodywork and detail astonishing. Its the kind of device you can buy without thinking because Apple wont release a product that does not surpass is predecessor (Even if it is an exact look alike).

I will buy the iPhone 5 because i need it for work and i already sold my slightly aged iPhone 4. But my daily driver will become the Lumia920 - The design, functionality and innovation are on WP8s side this time.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Winterfang and Nataku4ca like this.
    09-13-2012 02:31 AM
    I think we have all heard that their use of LTE is going to end up in a patent lawsuit.

I read somewhere that Apple was making their own NFC type technology. The current NFC technology is owned by Motorola and another company, Gentag, or something like that. Apple would have to pay to use it.

If Apple can up with their own NFC type technology, they'll want the industry to adapt to their standard, because Apple is the White Knight that sits high on a White Horse. :D
    It has nothing to do with fees. NFC is an open standard. And that's the problem. Apple doesn't control it, so they won't use it.
    09-13-2012 04:44 AM
    It has nothing to do with fees. NFC is an open standard. And that's the problem. Apple doesn't control it, so they won't use it.
    Precisely. Enter Lightning Port instead of Micro-USB port... creates a brand new accessories sales boost, massive profit off the $2 adapter selling for $30, and ignores the fact that Apple signed off on the Micro-USB standard.

I think they said 22% smaller but twice as much general purpose computing power as the old iPhone. Still, that doesn't sound incredibly impressive to me ;)
    Ah, yes, you're correct on that. Honestly, I call shenanigans on the "twice as fast" comment. Twice as fast on paper, sure, but they still have to make apps that use it. It's the same "cores" argument that's been raging here for weeks, lol. An app has to implement proper threading in order to use it, and most simple apps don't have that nor do they need/benefit from it.

Then again, a girl at work with an iPhone 4S and it's runs slow as crap (no idea what all she's installed on it), but it lags every time she has me look at it to fix something. I make fun of it all the time, so I hope the iPhone 5 really is twice as fast, lol.
    09-13-2012 06:39 AM
    Precisely. Enter Lightning Port instead of Micro-USB port... creates a brand new accessories sales boost, massive profit off the $2 adapter selling for $30, and ignores the fact that Apple signed off on the Micro-USB standard.
    The question is surely, could Apple have created a MicroUSB->Dock connector dongle, at a reasonable price, that would maintain backwards compatibility.

Not only that, but if a MicroUSB->Dock connection dongle existed, the android community would reverse engineer the communication protocol, and make every single iAccessory compatible with Android. Over night, one massive advantage of the iEco System levelled in a simple move.
    09-13-2012 07:37 AM
    iPhone 5 is trash but marketing is what counts today... And Apple does it well.

I hope Nokia and Microsoft enters the global market aggressively, because if not they will FAIL. You can't make the average customer buy Lumia 920, which he hasn't heard of, over the "magical" iPhone 5.
    09-13-2012 08:17 AM
    Can't believe apple screw it up so hard. But to be honest the jumped from the 3Gs to the 4Gs was so high that it will be impossible to recreate that again.

Still I would prefer Nokia to take some cues from Apple, better technology but thinner and lighter Nokia, nobody wants to carry a brick. (The 920 weights almost like two Iphone 5)

I know there's a bunch of Samsung haters out here but no other phone can compare to the Galaxy 3 as of yet.
    09-13-2012 08:17 AM
    To be honest, I think that the hardware is top notch, but it's the software that's letting Apple down. It's definitely an engineering feat to cram what they did into such an overall package. It's just a shame that the phone's running iOS, which at this point is playing catch up when it comes to features. It'll make a lot of people happy but I'll pass.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    09-13-2012 08:27 AM
    Ah, yes, you're correct on that. Honestly, I call shenanigans on the "twice as fast" comment. Twice as fast on paper, sure, but they still have to make apps that use it. It's the same "cores" argument that's been raging here for weeks, lol. A
    Nah, I don't think they are lying. Twice as fast would put them on a level playing field (or slightly below) the Lumia WP8 devices, nothing more, and that seems realistic. It's also a dual-core CPU, so I doubt the iOS developers would have any adapting to do on that basis... I'm assuming that was done long ago.
    09-13-2012 08:32 AM
    To be honest, I think that the hardware is top notch, but it's the software that's letting Apple down. It's definitely an engineering feat to cram what they did into such an overall package. It's just a shame that the phone's running iOS, which at this point is playing catch up when it comes to features. It'll make a lot of people happy but I'll pass.
    Well if I'm going to be honest. If the Iphone 5 was on T-mobile, I would get it asap. IOS is tried and true.
    09-13-2012 08:52 AM
    Well if I'm going to be honest. If the Iphone 5 was on T-mobile, I would get it asap. IOS is tried and true.
    There's nothing wrong with liking iOS. There are certain things that I like about Android, iOS, WP, and even BlackBerry. We all have different needs and it's great to have such viable options available.
    cckgz4 and Mafiatounes like this.
    09-13-2012 09:07 AM
    Yeah, IOS is really really really boring. But I'm at a point when I just want something to work.
    09-13-2012 09:20 AM
    You should use something that will make you happy instead of something that makes you hate.

Yeah, IOS is really really really boring. But I'm at a point when I just want something to work.
    09-13-2012 09:27 AM
    That's where I'm at atm. I'm actually bored of watching the market and just wanna get something that works and is well supported and move on to real life things that are more important.

I may get one, in a few months. I'm absolutely exhausted of these big phones and buzzword riddled marketing (pure motion, clear black, preview, etc.). They're all guilty of this, though.

EarPods has to be the dumbest name I've ever heard, but the design is nice so I'm getting some.

Better camera, bigger screen with more pixels. iTunes 11 coming with social integration and the fact that I know Microsoft supports iOS about as good as their own platform makes it a bit of a winner at the moment. I will wait and see for a few months, though. I AM on AT&T and with them crippling functionality is may have to move to Verizon, who has LTE here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    09-13-2012 10:07 AM
    What I have found really interesting after "trolling" some comments on articles good/bad on the new iPhone 5.

No matter who you are, young or old, rich or poor, it seems that Apple loyalists will insult and try to defend the new phone at any cost. I find this very disturbing, as I see the new iPhone as only a phone that partially keeps up to what the new phones offer.

But when they start saying things like "best phone ever" or "its revolutionary" I find that hard to take. Sure it is the "best iPhone ever" as it is faster, lighter and thinner, but did anyone really expect it to be slower, heavier and fatter?

This is called product evolution, if Nokia, Samsung, HTC were to come out with a single phone like the iPhone5 after a whole year of development it would be called a disaster by current users and by Apple users.

I think the key point here is that some ppl are just far too gone, and if they can actually see what they are typing and break free of the "apple-juice" they've been fed they might actually realize how rude or how blind they really are.

Apple did make great products, they forced the industry to kick it up a bunch of notches, but as the other companies have excelled and innovated, Apple has definitely taken a back seat.

It took me about an hour to finally have a friend admit the new Nano has a similar form factor and shape as the lumia.. for the longest time, he couldn't or wouldn't admit it and I thought he was crazy.

Apple has the marketing, and they will have their loyal customers to push out 10 million plus iPhone 5s I am sure, but they still only have 17% market share which to me isn't enough for them to speak as tho Apple is "the best thing evar".

These are just my opinions, please don't flame me, I am no fanboy of any platform, I just like my Lumia 900 as it works for me and treats me well.
    09-13-2012 10:08 AM
    Coming from a community that said specs didn't matter when their phones were limited to 2 year old hardware?

Not sure if serious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    09-13-2012 10:13 AM
    EarPods has to be the dumbest name I've ever heard, but the design is nice so I'm getting some.
    The Earpods have a very similar tech and design as the Bose IE series headphones, except the Bose ones have interchangeable ear pieces.

A lot of ppl have bragged about the innovative Earpods, but don't think its anything new.

Its funny, I have a friend who is a hardcore Apple Fanboy, and he kept trying to say things like "Apple has prices and release dates, new earpods and its thinner and lighter than the 920".

After all his key points he mentioned, which I thought were petty, I told him how satisfying it was for him to even compare his all mighty iPhone to my Nokia and Windows Phone as tho it was an immediate threat to thier god all mighty Apple products lol.

Are Windows Phones no longer a flea in the game? ;)
    cckgz4 likes this.
    09-13-2012 10:18 AM
    Apple's disaster is only a disaster in the sense that the magic is gone. But even without the magic, they are a formidable company that makes high quality products. If they do fall, it won't be far. They're still probably going to have the best selling phones for several more years.

But they no longer appear to be infallible.

Make no mistake, the iPhone5 is still a great device. But it's not an innovative device that is forcing the industry to react to it. Instead, Apple is now reacting to the industry.
    09-13-2012 10:33 AM
    Apple's disaster is only a disaster in the sense that the magic is gone. But even without the magic, they are a formidable company that makes high quality products. If they do fall, it won't be far. They're still probably going to have the best selling phones for several more years.

But they no longer appear to be infallible.

Make no mistake, the iPhone5 is still a great device. But it's not an innovative device that is forcing the industry to react to it. Instead, Apple is now reacting to the industry.
    well said.

I'm just full of warm fuzzies cause my Apple Fanboy friends had really nothing relevant to brag about and have kept pretty silent since the "unveiling"...
    09-13-2012 10:39 AM
    Definitely an opportunity for Microsoft now. Lots of the news articles I'm reading suggest people are pretty underwhelmed by the iPhone release ("Yawn", "Wake me up when the iphone 5S is out",...), and really great to see a good few are comparing it to the 920 (which they detail as a more credible phone). Any publicity of other phones in iPhone articles I've read up until now have been e.g. S3/One X comparisons so I'm loving that WP8 is now being discussed by the press as a real contender.

I wonder if the adapter issue ('exclusively available from apple') will make even some ardent iPhone fans question how much they're willing to let their phone manufacturer trap them in the land of proprietary. It feels a step too far even for apple when they could have so easily used microusb.

I think it's a shame though; I'm not a big fan of the iPhone (it's that not very 'live' and a bit too retro windows 3.1 style grid of icons homescreen), but I'm always excited to see innovation. I though with Apple's budget they were going to show something really ground-breaking. I understand the updates under the covers / of the cover; but in total it just feels so 'same old same old'. There's nothing I can see that would make someone upgrading feel they've got something much different to if they'd felt-tipped over the '4' of their old phone with a '5'. Surely everyone when they look to get a new phone wants it to really feel like a big step up from the last - for it to show them something new. If we're dealing with people who think rationally at least a little past the marketing (which we're probably not!) the 920 is looking very attractive right now. Fingers crossed some of the tide is changing.
    Last edited by Red Lemur; 09-13-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    09-13-2012 11:01 AM
    iPhone 5 vs. iPhone 4S: what's changed? -- Engadget

I still stand by my earlier comments in other threads, get what works for you.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    09-13-2012 11:23 AM
    Additionally BB10 is coming soon and looking pretty good.
    That is UNFAIR. You made me laugh out loud in the middle of my open-plan office. Non-voluntarily. You big old joker, you. :D
    Big Supes and rakeshrai like this.
    09-13-2012 01:08 PM
    I was truly saddened yesterday when one of the girl that i kind of like (even though i have a gf already lol :P) posted how amazed she is with the new iphone on facebook and brushed me off when i tried to suggest a better phone aka Lumia 920 :(

anyone have pointers on how to convince them to at least have a look at what we're trying to show them?
    09-13-2012 01:56 PM
    I was truly saddened yesterday when one of the girl that i kind of like (even though i have a gf already lol :P) posted how amazed she is with the new iphone on facebook and brushed me off when i tried to suggest a better phone aka Lumia 920 :(

anyone have pointers on how to convince them to at least have a look at what we're trying to show them?
    What's so amazing about the new iPhone?
    09-13-2012 02:04 PM
    What's so amazing about the new iPhone?
    Beats me.

Sent from my DROID RaZr.
    09-13-2012 02:16 PM
    Says a lot about someone if they're ignorant to sound advice. That's an INSTANT turn-off for me.

I wouldn't bother. These people will buy whatever is hot at the time. If Nokia overtake Apple in a couple of years, she'll be posting on Facebook about how much she loves Nokia.

Sad.
    09-13-2012 02:39 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD