The iPhone is no longer cool

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
One of my clients is a marketing professor, and we were talking the latest iPhone buzz. She said Apple is in danger of becoming uncool because it is so mainstream.

"it is the safe device that even a 52-year-old can easily use. My generation has gravitated to it because it's easy to use. So if 50 year olds use it, how can it still be cool/hip?"

She also said Nokia may have a shot in spite of the "release" a couple weeks back. Primarily because now there's a cool alternative to having the same phone as your parents, aunts/uncles and grandparents.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I really don't care if the phone I use is "cool" or not so long as it does what I need it to do. I like Windows Phone because it puts so much information right at my fingertips.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmmm......I guess my wife (57) and myself (56) better hide our window phones so the youngsters won't think they're old folks phones ;)

Window Phone......so easy even your grandparents can use it!

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I think there are more "old" people than "young" people thanks to the baby boomers so I would say any phone system has "old" people using it and asking their younger offspring for the occasional help.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
So on the iMore, this same post essentially garnered answers of "she's full of ****." Really? A PhD'd Mktg professor doesn't know what she's talking about when it comes to marketing and consumer behavior patterns?

GD those iZealots drive me nuts.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
So on the iMore, this same post essentially garnered answers of "she's full of ****." Really? A PhD'd Mktg professor doesn't know what she's talking about when it comes to marketing and consumer behavior patterns?

I have a PhD and am a prof in mobile technologies and their usage - if I say the iPhone is cool - does that mean that it is? Or is an evidence based approach better?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Same here. When I read a thread there about are you getting the iPhone 5 or not, there was this one dude who was going to get the 920 because he was disappointed with the iPhone 5. Then everyone started attacking him.

These are also the same people who feel the need to defend Apple's decision not to include NFC and wireless charging, giving such BS excuses.

If I were to say, "I think the Lumia 920 is better than the iPhone 5."

Some people there would just hear: "iPhone 5 is crap," even though that's not what I had said.

I used to be an active member there (I used to own an iPhone actually) but I'm staying away now.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
There are nice people on that board, but there seem to be a lot of people who go nuts if someone else feels differently than they do. Go with what works for you whatever the OS!

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Damn, at 56 am I going to be delegated to only being able to buy a Cricket, so I can press the single button and say, "I've fallen and I can't get up". Really now.

I will admit that I know quite a few 50 something's that are total technology noobs, and yes, they do own iPhones (and don't know how to use them aside from making/receiving calls). "It just works" is more important than you may think.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Same here. When I read a thread there about are you getting the iPhone 5 or not, there was this one dude who was going to get the 920 because he was disappointed with the iPhone 5. Then everyone started attacking him.

Well, their not spending all the time bickering about whether iPhoneX is thinner, or fatter, or smoother, or heavier than iPhoneY, so they have to ***** about something.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Who cares about "hip" and "cool"? The iPhone is the best smartphone on the planet with the best ecosystem, the best customer service, the best customer satisfaction. The cool/hip thing is so transient.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Who cares about "hip" and "cool"? The iPhone is the best smartphone on the planet with the best ecosystem, the best customer service, the best customer satisfaction. The cool/hip thing is so transient.

lol. That is debatable. I had one, and returned after about 2 weeks because it was not enjoyable for me. I work on Mac's for my job and will tell you that their service is not the best. It is the cool phone, until they actually use a different one and notice the cool things they do.

But just go get your iPhone, there is no reason for you to be here since you dislike the WP so much. Goodbye.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Damn, at 56 am I going to be delegated to only being able to buy a Cricket, so I can press the single button and say, "I've fallen and I can't get up". Really now.

I will admit that I know quite a few 50 something's that are total technology noobs, and yes, they do own iPhones (and don't know how to use them aside from making/receiving calls). "It just works" is more important than you may think.

Jitterbug is where its at my man. :D

My 64 year old dad loves his apple world. Has Apple TV, Newest iPad, getting iPhone 5, and getting retina MBP next. He likes how he can do everything and it follows his itunes account. I have tried to explain that any platform can do that. Android can, WP can and with w8 coming out, he will even be able to use the same document on his tablet as his AIO and phone, something he can not do 100% with apple.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

lol. That is debatable. I had one, and returned after about 2 weeks because it was not enjoyable for me. I work on Mac's for my job and will tell you that their service is not the best. It is the cool phone, until they actually use a different one and notice the cool things they do.

But just go get your iPhone, there is no reason for you to be here since you dislike the WP so much. Goodbye.

Its debatable but I think its still true. Well maybe not that iPhone is the best phone, but its iOS may be. Every app is available. Any App you can think of is available in multiple versions. Everything does work as it should. I will have to ask my brother but I would assume wireless sync is a no brainer to setup for apple. For some reason I can not get it working on my TITAN though. I never had to do a hard reset on my iphone 3g in the 2.5 years I had it. Even after updating to the terrible 4.1 experience it never needed to be reset. My TITAN did not even make it a full year and needed to be reset. Not sure if its hardware or software related but should not happen. Sure reboot every so often, but not wipe back to factory.

That said, new is cool and iphone is no longer as new as it once was. EVERYONE does have one now so its less hip. Hip is only for rare things. I was in the mall last weekend and EVERYONE had an iphone, even the kids. They were all at least the 4 as well. All had some tacky plastic colored case covering the elegantly fragile design as well. I just dropped my TITAN this morning from my sink to my ceramic tile bathroom floor with not even a nick. No need for some tacky case on my phone as it continues to live up to its namesake.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
2 million pre-orders it's more than any other iPhone before, the company is not able to produce that much iPhones by the end of September.

Do I really need to tell you that the iPhone is still creating a buzz all around the world?

I think it speaks for itself.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
2 million pre-orders it's more than any other iPhone before, the company is not able to produce that much iPhones by the end of September.

Do I really need to tell you that the iPhone is still creating a buzz all around the world?

I think it speaks for itself.

Yeah, it also has nothing to do with carriers pushing this device like there is no tomorrow. I have friends who have received text messages from their carrier informing them that they can pre-order (reserve) their iPhone 5 before their contract expires. . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte