The iPhone is no longer cool

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it also has nothing to do with carriers pushing this device like there is no tomorrow. I have friends who have received text messages from their carrier informing them that they can pre-order (reserve) their iPhone 5 before their contract expires. . .
Do the same thing with the Lumia 920 and it's not going to get 2 million pre-orders... It fun saying that we like WP8, but saying that the iPhone is not cool anymore, when I hear people talking about it everyday and people are anxious to get one... Here in Canada, nobody is talking about the Lumia 920... except me..

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Do the same thing with the Lumia 920 and it's not going to get 2 million pre-orders... It fun saying that we like WP8, but saying that the iPhone is not cool anymore, when I hear people talking about it everyday and people are anxious to get one... Here in Canada, nobody is talking about the Lumia 920... except me..

I've seen exactly one Windows Phone here, and it was a Windows Mobile device. We just don't have the variety of devices available to us up here. Galaxy/iPhone and a smattering of BlackBerry is all I see.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've seen exactly one Windows Phone here, and it was a Windows Mobile device. We just don't have the variety of devices available to us up here. Galaxy/iPhone and a smattering of BlackBerry is all I see.
What are you talking about... bell don't have any windows phone, but other carriers had the lumias and titan II

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
One of my clients is a marketing professor, and we were talking the latest iPhone buzz. She said Apple is in danger of becoming uncool because it is so mainstream.

"it is the safe device that even a 52-year-old can easily use. My generation has gravitated to it because it's easy to use. So if 50 year olds use it, how can it still be cool/hip?"

She also said Nokia may have a shot in spite of the "release" a couple weeks back. Primarily because now there's a cool alternative to having the same phone as your parents, aunts/uncles and grandparents.
Well, I'm glad she's a client and not your professor. I would drop that class after such foolery.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess it's pretty hip to be part of the uncool crowd eh?

It's a societal thing. If you look around and see nothing but the same phone, it starts to lose its cache - why do you think folks are so hot to upgrade to an iPhone 5 in many cases? Do you really think that a 4S user is in need of that extra half inch of screen size? Is his experience so flawed he needs the upgrade?

No. He sees everyone has the same phone as him and he wants to be elevated above them. And when iPhone 6 comes out - rinse and repeat.

Don't tell me that the 5 is lightyears ahead of the 4S because it's not.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

It may not sell 2 mil, but if carriers got behind WP (year upon year) like they have the iPhone, I can guarantee you that it wouldn't sell 2 million; it would sell more.

I think the bottom-line here is that numbers don't equate to how much 'cool-ness' a device has. In this context, I see the iPhone very much as the Burberry of smartphones. Sure, it sells like hotcakes, but just look at the people who buy this stuff. . .

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That's such a ton of crap that I'm surprised that your keyboard doesn't ... whatever.

If you think that many people are worried over such social status that a phone can bring them, I think you're wrong.

Many people upgraded from the 800 to the 900 for the extra screen real estate and didn't gain nothing "light years" ahead.

Please show me a phone that is "light years" ahead of the last. And if you say the 920 is light years ahead of the 900 or the 800, then you need to grab a thesaurus.
It's a societal thing. If you look around and see nothing but the same phone, it starts to lose its cache - why do you think folks are so hot to upgrade to an iPhone 5 in many cases? Do you really think that a 4S user is in need of that extra half inch of screen size? Is his experience so flawed he needs the upgrade?

No. He sees everyone has the same phone as him and he wants to be elevated above them. And when iPhone 6 comes out - rinse and repeat.

Don't tell me that the 5 is lightyears ahead of the 4S because it's not.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Strange, I haven't received one text or email from AT&T about an iPhone. I have two accounts, a premier account and a regular account. My brother is on Verizon and says he hasn't seen anything about an iPhone. Strange.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Damn, at 56 am I going to be delegated to only being able to buy a Cricket, so I can press the single button and say, "I've fallen and I can't get up". Really now.

I will admit that I know quite a few 50 something's that are total technology noobs, and yes, they do own iPhones (and don't know how to use them aside from making/receiving calls). "It just works" is more important than you may think.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
Jitterbug for you old man! Don't feel too bad, I'm 47 and I don't feel over the hill. If MS can make an OS for an elegant phone like the DVP for the enterprise crowd and the Cyan 900 for the hipsters, there's no need to worry about the "cool" factor. iPhone is a one size fits all phone/OS, no way to differentiate. I'd call that putting all your eggs in one basket.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
What are you talking about... bell don't have any windows phone, but other carriers had the lumias and titan II

bell had the HTC HD7 and LG optimums quantum.

they BARELY sold any and then the phone was removed from the Order site 6-8 months after release. ( not befor they where FREE on 1 year terms with NO data plan... and still dint sale)

and ive seen allot of people in Montreal with WP.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
bell had the HTC HD7 and LG optimums quantum.

they BARELY sold any and then the phone was removed from the Order site 6-8 months after release. ( not befor they where FREE on 1 year terms with NO data plan... and still dint sale)

and ive seen allot of people in Montreal with WP.
I had the HD7... overall it was not so great... I understand why people didn't rush to get one hahaha

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone expect Apple to not sell over 10 million iPhone 5s?

The people who point out this fact forget to realize that there are already 10 million plus iSheep that are loyal to their products or are too scared to leave all the $ they invested on apps/music/etc on their iPhones and just ditch it all for a new platform.

If the iPhone 5 starts to take over more actual marketshare than they currently own by obtaining "new" users then that's a more relevant topic of discussion. I don't hear a lot of Android and WP users switching to Apple after the launch, what I DO hear is more iPhone users switching to Android and WP after the disappointing launch.

Now to me this is a WAY more important bit of information than 2 million pre-orders sold.

Last edited:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
That's a good point. I wonder how many iPhone pre-orders are new users or existing iPhone users. I'm thinking there are a lot of Verizon users who are new iPhone users though. Verizon is already 3 weeks backordered. The orginal Verizon iPhone 4 came out in February so that makes pretty much every single Verizon iPhone still under contract, so either a bunch of people are (1) paying extra to upgrade or (2) coming from another carrier, or (3) dumbphone or Android/Blackberry converts.

I can't even venture a guess, but it will be interesting to know.

Did anyone expect Apple to not sell over 10 million iPhone 5s?

The people who point out this fact forget to realize that there are already 10 million plus iSheep that are loyal to their products or are too scared to leave all the $ they invested on apps/music/etc on their iPhones and just ditch it all for a new platform.

If the iPhone 5 starts to take over more actual marketshare than they currently own by obtaining "new" users then that's a more relevant topic of discussion. I don't hear a lot of Android and WP users switching to Apple after the launch, what I DO hear is more iPhone users switching to Android and WP after the disappointing launch.

Now to me this is a WAY more important bit of information than 2 million pre-orders sold.

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
They sold 40+ million of the last iPhone and are expecting to sell 50+ million of the iPhone 5. Time will tell.

Sorry, I meant as in 10 million plus for the first month or whatever the "anal-ysts" are predicting. I am sure they will sell more than the previous generation as Apple is still trying to enter into new markets around the world and a lot of the 2-3 yr contract ppl who are Apple owners are due for an upgrade.

I would expect more iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4 owners who are loyal to Apple to upgrade to the iPhone 5 which would show a boosted increase in sales.

What I would like to see is how many new users are actually going to an iPhone over their current non-iPhone or for their first phone.

I think iPhone is no longer the "cool" device as it once was. Android shows more innovation and advancement in the industry and Nokia has also impressed a lot of the younger generation of ppl and is also taking a run a the corporate enterprise end.

Heck there's already news of the Galaxy S4 for early next year!

It will be interesting to see what happens. I may have to hold out for the ATIV-S2 or the 930 lol

Last edited:

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
That's such a ton of crap that I'm surprised that your keyboard doesn't ... whatever.

If you think that many people are worried over such social status that a phone can bring them, I think you're wrong.

Many people upgraded from the 800 to the 900 for the extra screen real estate and didn't gain nothing "light years" ahead.

Please show me a phone that is "light years" ahead of the last. And if you say the 920 is light years ahead of the 900 or the 800, then you need to grab a thesaurus.

First how many people went from an 800 to a 900 for the extra .5 of an inch for extra real estate? How many went from an 800 to a 900, period?

Second if you think people upgrade their phones before they need to out of necessity, you're deluding yourself. There is no phone that is "lightyears better" than the one before - that was my point.

Do you actually think the experience from a 4S to a 5 will be that rewarding? Really?

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss