Ok before someone chimes in and rightfully corrects me with sales figures, Thats not what I'm really referring to. Even the most dedicated WP fan has to concede that Apple have had a pretty good track record of innovation and implementation of services and technologies. But somewhere (or with someone) they have lost it.

I've never had an iPhone, but I do however have an iPad for work purposes. Installed iOS6 yesterday like the rest of the cattle, but it blows.

The social integration is severely hacked on, menu of big bloated buttons contrasts badly with the rest of the UI. iPads no longer have a YouTube app, and have to wait for an official offering from google. Multitasking resume is slower for some reason (presumably battery life) and its really hard to see where they can go from here.

The usual trend has been for Apple to watch the rest and then implement a more refined experience for the user. They obviously haven't been watching Windows Phones.
    09-20-2012 03:37 AM
    I agree, got the 4s and it looks like a unfinished product, the UI color changes are all over the place, doesn't work together at all - not a big fan
    09-20-2012 04:52 AM
    I never thought Apple was innovative, honestly. They are good at refinement and redefining the product category. Nothing more than that.

That said, the slightly haphazard way that they did iOS 6 made me believe that they can't even do this now. Contrast it with how MS insists on a consistent UI everywhere. Whatsapp, FB, Twitter, etc uses the same language, but it means that learning the quirks of the UI once, and you are all set for the other apps.

This is why MS needs WP8 out asap to kill the perception that only Apple can do innovation.
    rakeshrai likes this.
    09-20-2012 05:00 AM
    Apple is suffering from the problem where design of the hardware comes first and everything else has to fit that. At this point this is starting to show in that feature wise they are falling behind and the parameters set by the design restrict the technology they can fit.

Sure the iPhone5 is thinner then most (not the thinnest as they claim), but iOS is way behind the times. While the hardware follows a strict minimalist approach the software is all but and tacks on as many colours, textures and gimmicks as possible.
    09-20-2012 05:20 AM
    I agree; all quite unexpected recently considering their current worth and previous success. iOS 6 seems almost to be a step back (from what I've seen so far on an iPad 2); removal of you tube, maps that aren't as good, less accurate place reviews, no public transport directions... for a lot of people they're major reasons for using it (and the token changes to the still incredibly basic email program you're forced to use are a bit laughable). Of course it does now have a clock app ;)

Do you think a typical user going to notice much difference with the latest iPhone? Lots of new technical figures quoted, and yes it's thinner, but will people really feel like they've got an exciting new phone; that big upgrade from their previous? I've noticed a few of my friends (previously pretty die-hard apple fans) are now not interested in upgrading; especially because of the new connector that would mean their speaker docks/car docks/etc. will not longer work (and apple have even offended a lot of customers by asking for 25 for an adapter that isn't free in the box). The press reactions are also remarkably different to previous apple releases.

So I'm struggling to see the innovation with Apple too; recent events maybe even make them look like they are going a little backwards. It's at a time where Microsoft are noticeably making sweeping changes in their new OS - not just to catch up, but introducing a powerful OS for tablets that will uniquely have a proper file system, great handwriting recognition, potential to run full applications rather than just apps,... - and the one thing it clearly does with its UI (even to its critics) is innovates.

It never looked like Apple were going to be knocked from their pedestal any-time soon; but things are definitely looking different for them after recent events.
    09-20-2012 08:54 AM
    IMO, Apple makes some great products but starting with the 4S, 5, and iOS6, Apple is trying too hard to protect their profit margins. The 5 is rocking an A6 that nobody seems impressed with. iOS6 seems like a minor update, showing that Apple isn't investing as much time developing their software as they should. There's a new connector but it's affect will be minimal to the average user. And I think people expected a bigger technology leap between the 4S and 5. It's weird to see new tech coming from Nokia and HTC and wonder why Apple isn't outdoing both of them. Apple has more than enough money to really blow away the competition. They just seem more content just riding the wave instead of making new ones... and if you look at their quarterly profits you'll see that strategy has worked out well. Really well.
    09-20-2012 09:13 AM
    To be fair, iOS has never been about Apple. Its always been the product Steve Jobs wanted for himself.

Steve's attention to detail, and OCD made a fantastic product. People go on about the cult of Steve Jobs, i think it really did exist.

Whoever the new guy is, just doesn't seem to have that vision. A lot of what i read, is him trying to continue Apple's product lines, but cure some of the critisisms along the way. I don't see that as the way forward.

He needs to grow a pair, gain a vision of what he wants to do with Apple, and just do it. Forget the competition, forget the doubters, forget the customers, he needs to be 100% focused on his vision, then use that obsession to get others enthused, in the way SJ could.
    09-20-2012 09:27 AM
    Welp, that's what happens when you're so successful. With that stock so high, the stockholders keep wanting more and more. They're at the top and the only place to go is down. I'm pretty sure someone's *** will be on the line if the stock drops below 600. Still a great price, but people are greedy. So they'll continue to do what it takes to keep it high until the bottom falls out.
    09-20-2012 09:30 AM
    I tend to agree. Other than facebook integration (welcome to 2010) there wasn't really anything that exciting about it. Their new map program sucks; the Passport is gimicky and one lost phone away from disaster; the youtube app sucked anyway, but was at least useful; and now and Siri is horrible if you have anything other than a West Coast accent.

Apple has lost its edge and that edge was Steve Jobs. They are nothing more than a slightly more popular IBM. And when you have the likes of HTC, Samsung, and Nokia offering better phones before the iPhone and on a faster refresh rate than the iPhone, eventually this will all collapse.
    09-20-2012 10:10 AM
    Apple are victims of their own success. Every change to the iPhone, through the generations of devices and ios revs, makes sure that the phone is incrementally better in some small way, but always looks and performs more or less like it always did.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    09-20-2012 10:19 AM
    How exactly, the phone was announced last week and is coming out today. They know what their are doing.
    09-20-2012 10:21 AM
    I’m sorry guys but Apple had 2 million preorders in a 24 hour period. I don’t believe for a minute that Apple has lost it…….yet. Most posters here want to compare the iphone 5 to other phones but Apple doesn’t market it to compete with others, they market to their current customers.

I agree with those that said that Apple isn’t innovative. They don’t innovative but what they do is refine their product to give their current customers (usually with two year old iphones) a reason to upgrade to the new one when they come out. Don’t compare the ip5 to the 4S, compare it to the ip4. The ip5 represents a big gain to those currently using an ip4 or 3GS and that is who Apple is after. These customers are pretty much in their Apple world and with ip5 will “discover” features that have already been around and won’t care that they were out before because the only phone that matters to them didn’t have it. It’s like a cult (how else do you explain people willing to camp out at Apple stores 8 days before the release of the new iphone). No my friends, I hardly think Apple as lost it.

Now in all fairness there are iphone owners that have become tired of either the UI, the lack of innovation, or have just become bored with it and want something new. They see that while iphone is a very good product it isn’t necessary the best and they see that the competition is getting better and better all the time. To these people Apple has lost it. I welcome these people to Windows Phone and hope that they find these phones fit their needs but understand there are far too few of them.

Maybe in time lack of real innovation will drive enough customers away from Apple to force them to change their development and marketing model for iphone but right now stock is up, sales are up and profits are still high.

Sorry Guys, they haven’t lost it yet.
    09-20-2012 10:28 AM
    I tend to agree. Other than facebook integration (welcome to 2010) there wasn't really anything that exciting about it. Their new map program sucks; the Passport is gimicky and one lost phone away from disaster; the youtube app sucked anyway, but was at least useful; and now and Siri is horrible if you have anything other than a West Coast accent.

Apple has lost its edge and that edge was Steve Jobs. They are nothing more than a slightly more popular IBM. And when you have the likes of HTC, Samsung, and Nokia offering better phones before the iPhone and on a faster refresh rate than the iPhone, eventually this will all collapse.
    Yeah, things seem pretty bad.

BBC News - New Apple maps app under fire from users
    09-20-2012 10:29 AM
    Ok maybe the post title should have stated losing it, rather than lost it ;) Jeez the new App Store - what did they do? They made it a darker shade of grey and changed the UI into an unreadable mess. Information overload. Have they hired some Android designers?

Its not even intuitive anymore, thats not refinement thats change for change sake.

Whilst I agree to a point that there competition and target is themselves, they really haven't learnt. New lightening adaptors woo! Isnt all this reminicent of how the PC completely superseeded the Mac? If they remain in their bubble and ignore whats going on around them people will stray.

Obviously this is what Microsoft want in the longrun and maybe it will give them the shakeup they need at the moment. Microsoft without Apple is a bad thing, the competition is what spurs Microsoft on to innovate its own products. We'd most likely have Windows Mobile 8 on its way rather than Windows Phone 8 without the iPhone.

Without Chrome and Firefox IE would be the abysmal mess it was at version 6.

I think the tables might be about to turn.
    09-20-2012 11:09 AM
    Ok maybe the post title should have stated losing it, rather than lost it ;) Jeez the new App Store - what did they do? They made it a darker shade of grey and changed the UI into an unreadable mess. Information overload. Have they hired some Android designers?

Its not even intuitive anymore, thats not refinement thats change for change sake.

Whilst I agree to a point that there competition and target is themselves, they really haven't learnt. New lightening adaptors woo! Isnt all this reminicent of how the PC completely superseeded the Mac? If they remain in their bubble and ignore whats going on around them people will stray.

Obviously this is what Microsoft want in the longrun and maybe it will give them the shakeup they need at the moment. Microsoft without Apple is a bad thing, the competition is what spurs Microsoft on to innovate its own products. We'd most likely have Windows Mobile 8 on its way rather than Windows Phone 8 without the iPhone.

Without Chrome and Firefox IE would be the abysmal mess it was at version 6.

I think the tables might be about to turn.
    I agree 100%. I don't like Apple products but I'm glad they exist otherwise Android would not be as powerful as it is and we would see releases such as Windows Mobile 8 and Blackberry 8 instead of Windows Phone 8 and Blackberry 10. Apple set the bar high and we the end users are benefiting from it.
    09-21-2012 11:00 AM
    I just held the iPhone 5 for the very first time a couple of hours ago. Is even more beautiful that it's predecessor and is light and looks very high end. Apple knock it out of the park resign wise.

It does look tall lol.
    09-21-2012 11:32 AM
    I realize it was a beta I was using, but iOS 6 Beta was one of the straws that broke the camels back and led me to trade my 4s for a Lumia off contract.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    09-21-2012 11:56 AM
    I want to go hold one. I may stop by the AT&T to check it out. I love the design of the phone. But iTunes just sucks so damn much, that I couldn't see myself buying another iPhone.
    I just held the iPhone 5 for the very first time a couple of hours ago. Is even more beautiful that it's predecessor and is light and looks very high end. Apple knock it out of the park resign wise.

It does look tall lol.
    09-21-2012 02:47 PM
    How exactly, the phone was announced last week and is coming out today. They know what their are doing.
    They know what they are doing in marketing and supply chain control.

However, their work in iOS 6 leaves much to be desired. Honestly prefer the way WP and even Android does things.
    09-22-2012 04:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD