Foxconn Closed - Beatings & iPhone Melee

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
This where I want my phone built. Apple will get heat over this:

"(Reuters) - Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Group, which assembles Apple's iPhones and makes components for top global electronics companies, closed a plant in China on Monday after about 2,000 workers were involved in a brawl at a company dormitory.....But some people posting messages on a Twitter-like site said factory guards had beaten workers and that sparked the melee....."

Foxconn China plant closes after clash involving 2,000 | Reuters

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Guess that's what happens when you send out devices with scratches on them. Just sayin.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Smidgerine

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know...

I don't think this is just an Apple thing...and believe me, I can't stand Apple. It's hard to pin this on them, though, cause everybody wants to use cheap labor.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't think this is just an Apple thing...and believe me, I can't stand Apple. It's hard to pin this on them, though, cause everybody wants to use cheap labor.

You're correct, it's not just an Apple thing. Foxconn makes phones for other manufacturers, but with the big push to get 50 million iPhone 5's (I think that's the number they are shooting for) made, a lot of this will end up on Apples door step.

Nokia use to make some of their phones in Finland. I am sure that wasn't cheap labor. I see no reason why Apple can't make some of their iPhone 5's here in the U.S.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
When people are placed under so much stress for little pay, things like this are bound to happen.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Horrible horrible stuff. Some of the reports are insane. People pulling up blankets on a bed and cockroaches running out, things like that.

The Euro papers paint a much grimmer picture.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Surely I'm not the only one who simultaneously feels disgusted and thrilled by this.

I mean, I love the fact that for few days production of iPhone 5's has been hugely impacted (79,000 employees not working? yeah, that'll hurt). Moreover, I'm not a huge fan of China. If the issues continue, it could impact holiday sales.

On the other hand, I'm disgusted, because I dislike China because of their government allowing such horrible labor practices. It's grossly inhumane, and it angers me to know that American businesses like Apple take advantage of this situation when we have our own employment issues. Why? So they can pay less.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, foxconn is not just apple. They make electronics for many different companies. The news outlets always label them as the iPhone manufacturer because that generates page views.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it's about time that we do have a conversation about this though. Apple is now one of the richest companies in the world. Yes, they didn't create the problem, but they perpetuate the problem by continuing to build their devices under what is essentially slave labor.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, foxconn is not just apple. They make electronics for many different companies. The news outlets always label them as the iPhone manufacturer because that generates page views.

Sure, and if someone wants to identify those other companies, I'd refuse to buy from them too, but Apple is the biggest without a doubt. It has nothing to do with page views, it has to do with where the money is going and the crime being committed.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Sure, and if someone wants to identify those other companies, I'd refuse to buy from them too, but Apple is the biggest without a doubt. It has nothing to do with page views, it has to do with where the money is going and the crime being committed.

Here you go. Foxconn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Major customers of Foxconn currently include:

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)[41]
Amazon.com (United States)[7]
Apple Inc. (United States)[42]
Cisco (United States)[43]
Dell (United States)[44]
Hewlett-Packard (United States)[45]
Intel (United States)[46]
Microsoft (United States)[9]
Motorola Mobility (United States)[44]
Nintendo (Japan)[47]
Nokia (Finland)[42]
Sony (Japan)[8]
Toshiba (Japan) [48]
Vizio (United States)[49]

It would probably be impossible to use computers, smartphones, or game consoles without using something made by Foxconn.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)[41]
Dell (United States)[44]
Nintendo (Japan)[47]
Nokia (Finland)[42]
Sony (Japan)[8]
Toshiba (Japan) [48]

It would probably be impossible to use computers, smartphones, or game consoles without using something made by Foxconn.

Wow, that's a big list. I knew about HP and Sony playstations, but I didn't know about the rest.

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
It's Communist China-what else is new. Human rights abuses, workers housed like cattle, no environmental regulations. Why do you think American companies go there?
I kind of like the fact that my Lumia was made in Korea. I guess most of it was...

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'd have to say good luck to you on that one. The list is long as shown by lak611's post. You're probably right that Apple is the biggest, but it's not really fair that they get all the attention. Everyone who outsources manufacturing to them deserves some blame.

And yeah, I do think it's about page views. A riot at some Chinese plant? Who cares. But a riot at the Apple factory, well now that's a story.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)[41]
Dell (United States)[44]
Nintendo (Japan)[47]
Nokia (Finland)[42]
Sony (Japan)[8]
Toshiba (Japan) [48]

So basically, everyone.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that is pretty aggravating list and impossible to avoid... especially since Microsoft and Cisco and Dell are on the list. They're my biggest OEMs.

Now I'm curious if other companies do a better job of working with Foxconn to prevent the abuses or not or if it truly is what it is as part of Chinese culture.

In any case, it's still wrong, but as was pointed out... it's China. And they essentially have the world by the gonads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)