iPad Mini = Fail!

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
With a 7.9in 1024x768 display and last gen dual core A5 CPU $329 for this device is a bit much. And they had the nerve to compare it with the Nexus 7. Now I'm no big android fan either but the N7 is a better device then this especially at $199. **** even their own iPod Touch, also a bit overpriced imo, is a better device then this and it's $30 cheaper with twice the storage.

smdh @ Apple

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't be a hater. They obviously used the A5 chip instead of the A5X because it has a lower pixel density in the screen sans Retina display. As far as a comparison with the Nexus 7 is concerned, it's probably very little to no contest. The iPad mini is going to be huge because there are going to be a lot of people who would prefer it over a regular sized iPad.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
With a 7.9in 1024x768 display and last gen dual core A5 CPU $329 for this device is a bit much. And they had the nerve to compare it with the Nexus 7. Now I'm no big android fan either but the N7 is a better device then this especially at $199. **** even their own iPod Touch, also a bit overpriced imo, is a better device then this and it's $30 cheaper with twice the storage.

smdh @ Apple

In what ways is the Nexus 7 a better device?

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Don't be a hater. They obviously used the A5 chip instead of the A5X because it has a lower pixel density in the screen sans Retina display. As far as a comparison with the Nexus 7 is concerned, it's probably very little to no contest. The iPad mini is going to be huge because there are going to be a lot of people who would prefer it over a regular sized iPad.

Not sure how this will be a bigger seller than the Kindle Fire HD. Amazon has a huge brand name. Yeah, I know, so does Apple. But for the size, the Fire HD is a MUCH better option IMO than the iPad Mini.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I was really looking forward to getting a iPad mini possibly, but at $329 for those specs I'm sure not going to get one now. I think I'll be getting the Fire HD for now, maybe the mini once they update it to "retina" and an a6 next year.

I want something to read on and a fire will work fine, and I'm a prime member and want to use the streaming along with netflix too.

I only wanted a iPad as I have 500-600 nice paid games and apps I have picked up for free and have never been able to play lol. For that cost I'll just wait another year though. I have plenty of free apps from the Amazon App store too!

It will sell fine, but there is real competition out there now, be interesting to see the comparisons next week when the Nexus is 16gb for $200 and 32gb for $250. There is also the unknown price of the rumored 10" Nexus tablet.... Good times to be a geek!

Now if there was only a $299 7.8" Windows 8 RT tablet, my choice would be over with.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Better screen, better processor, NFC, GPS... of the top of my head. Oh and 130 cheaper. Nobody can say this was a good idea.

In the end it is about the customer experience, I still don't think that an Android tablet delivers that. It will be interesting to see if the iPad mini eats into Kindle Fire/Nexus 7 sales or if it eats into regular iPad sales.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Dont kid yourself, the target audience dont care about specs, all they want is the latest igadget. This will outsell every other 7" tablet, guaranteed because they have a ready audience in the millions who will buy it regardless.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I have no interest in the iPad mini, mostly because I have no interest in the apple ecosystem. But I would bet there are millions of people who have not bought an iPad because it's too expensive, who don't care about any other device because it's not an iPad, and will jump all over this.

ltyarbro42

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Studies over time have shown it isn't really actuality that matters. Take alcohols for example. A test group is given an alcohol to try an is shown the price. If it is priced cheaply the product will almost always get a negative review. The same product given to a different group and priced way too high, will get great reviews. Because "you get what you pay for" right?

What do I mean? I-Sheep...

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
In the end it is about the customer experience, I still don't think that an Android tablet delivers that. It will be interesting to see if the iPad mini eats into Kindle Fire/Nexus 7 sales or if it eats into regular iPad sales.
In the end its actually not about the user experience to all the isheep out there. Apple will sell a shed load of ipad minis just because its an ipad mini and people want one so they can tell their friends they have one.

iPhone/iPad/iMini/iPod/iFad at this point are simply just a giant snowball, for a few years apple will barely need to innovate and they will sell millions just because of the general popularity that has been built up.

It kinda chafes me because the guy is right about the nexus and I am sure there will be other tabs better then both ipad and imini that won't sell just because they do not have an apple logo on them.

Such is life I guess, if you can't beat em join em?

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I think Apple went for style/form over functionality on this one. For the average tech forum user the ipad mini is over-priced, but it caters to their strategy and their audience. The average consumer at the store doesn't care about ram, cpu for the most part. They don't understand that. Apple is wanting them to pick it up and feel how lite it is.

Just looking at the hardware:

Pros:
Thin / Light
Apple Styling
7.9 display

Cons:
Display - a big deal IMO. Cheaper tablets have better resolution / PPI.
512MB RAM - if I am wrong on this one, please correct me.
Price - $329 is damn ballsy.

The Apple app store has the best selection, and there are people who will pay the extra for that.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The price is a bit high, but it's definitely a better option than any Kindle Fire. The Fire's UI is awful and the app selection is painfully limited by being locked down to the Amazon App Store.

Now, I don't think the Mini is $130 better than a Nexus 7, but it's definitely a better device, if only because there aren't many Android tablet apps and most of the ones that do exist are awful. You can't get apps like Paper or GarageBand on Android. There's simply nothing in the same ballpark.

If only there was a < $399 Windows RT tablet (and no, buying the Dell without the warranty doesn't count).

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am just not into tablets, when i have a laptop. My wife has a Kindle Fire and loves it, all she does is buys books with it.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Not going to say whether the ipad mini is good or bad, but I really don't like how the media is already jumping on board the bandwagon saying it's the best 7" tablet out there just because it has a fruit logo on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb