Hello windows, goodbye iphone... goodbye windows, hello iphone again

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Apparently they don't. Because we still don't have an official youtube/facebook two years after the Os was born.

Actually, the current Facebook app is indeed "official" (licensed). YouTube? Don't hold your breath -- Google has repeatedly stated that it will never offer "equal access" to Windows Phone on its services, and that it will block efforts by Microsoft to do so.

JohnDoes

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
AW: Hello windows, goodbye iphone... goodbye windows, hello iphone again

But there is a Facebook app from Facebook. You can also increase the font size. Dropbox,why? SkyDrive is much more better implemented in windows and does the same. For your data problem, I think you have found out what was the problem. The is a PDF viewer from adobe for wp7, I don't know if this is the case. If not, it will be in some days/weeks.
Windows phone is different, bit not worst than other OS!
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_248 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The camera takes great pictures, but its SLOW as ****. It takes the picture a second or two after the screen is touched.

User error here. You don't take the picture by touching the screen, you take it by pressing the camera button all the way down.

The reason it is slow is because every time you touch the screen, you're telling the camera to refocus on the object that you touched. The camera then refocuses on that area, optimizes it, and takes the shot.

I do know *why* you're touching the screen -- it's because that's the way the Android OS has always done it. But it's wrong on WP. :)

I think a lot of the problems that iOS and Android people have with Windows Phone is that it's not iOS or Android. Frankly, as a WP guy, I had the same problem on Android, and when I was a heavy webOS user in 2009/early 2010, I couldn't pick up any competing device without using my thumb on the bezel to swipe backwards and forwards.

A big piece of the adoption of a new platform is the learning curve you need to take for a couple of weeks. You need to understand the theory behind the UI and how it works to get the most out of it. That means coming in with an open mind, and figuring out how the UI theory addresses your needs (rather than the other way around).

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
User error here. You don't take the picture by touching the screen, you take it by pressing the camera button all the way down.

The reason it is slow is because every time you touch the screen, you're telling the camera to refocus on the object that you touched. The camera then refocuses on that area, optimizes it, and takes the shot.

I do know *why* you're touching the screen -- it's because that's the way the Android OS has always done it. But it's wrong on WP. :)

I think a lot of the problems that iOS and Android people have with Windows Phone is that it's not iOS or Android. Frankly, as a WP guy, I had the same problem on Android, and when I was a heavy webOS user in 2009/early 2010, I couldn't pick up any competing device without using my thumb on the bezel to swipe backwards and forwards.

A big piece of the adoption of a new platform is the learning curve you need to take for a couple of weeks. You need to understand the theory behind the UI and how it works to get the most out of it. That means coming in with an open mind, and figuring out how the UI theory addresses your needs (rather than the other way around).

Umm, no, it's NOT "wrong" to tap. That's the most stable and intuitive way to do it. But you're right, it's set to auto-focus first then capture so what's wrong is the user's lack of understanding of how it works (because iPhone and Android don't bother "focusing" on camera shot).

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Apparently they don't. Because we still don't have an official youtube/facebook two years after the Os was born.

Considering the iPhone just got an official youtube app from Google with iOS 6 I don't think WP is doing bad at all. Besides apps such as metrotube do just as much as the youtube app on the iphone does.

Umm, no, it's NOT "wrong" to tap. That's the most stable and intuitive way to do it. But you're right, it's set to auto-focus first then capture so what's wrong is the user's lack of understanding of how it works (because iPhone and Android don't bother "focusing" on camera shot).

I prefer tapping the screen also. When I use the button I always seem to move the phone a bit and it slightly messes up the pictures.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
It's "wrong" to tap to get a fast photo. The button is generally the fastest way to capture. And I HATE "tap the screen." So much more intuitive to use it like a camera with the half-press to focus, full-press to snap a shot. "Tap the screen" is a kludge from smartphone vendors who didn't think carefully about the camera and tacked it on as an afterthought.

The UI was made for me, I guess. Every time I am on an Android device (like a One X or GS III), it just feels WRONG. Especially the camera. A camera should be focused and snapped with a button, not a screen tap! :D

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Trust me when I say I'm not one of the folks the berates anyone for their choice in products they use. So I appreciate your well thought out assessment on why Windows Phone isn't for you.

I am a bit confused on some of your gripes as I am almost certain there are fixes for them. Isn't there an option to turn off auto upload to SkyDrive? I know there was one in WP7 and 7.5. Also, aren't there options to increase the font size? And I'm almost certain the Facebook app is in fact an official app, just developed by Microsoft. And while it sucks to not have an official YouTube app, the replacement ones in the store are more than comparable.

Not sure what is meant by your videos not being private. As I recall, no one else but me sees the pictures or video I take with my phone unless I give them my phone.

dk0654

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I have owned all three OSes and can so far say Windows is better in some aspects as are Android and iOS. I feel it's all in what you prefer. Me? I sold my iphone 5 for 700 and went and upgraded to the Lumia 920. So far the only 2 complaints so far is I cant get my ONSTAR REMOTELINK APP and the music player has no SIMPLE (OFF) button. After pausing it and you think its off it will popup in your lockscreen as PAUSED. You have to shut the phone down to truly stop it

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting tired of seeing this crap. Whining about the app quantity and selection. We get it, you get it, Microsoft gets it, the little kid down the street gets it!

What you're not getting is that developers need an incentive to develop for a platform. Money usually does the trick. If you want Facebook to make their own app (not that the Microsoft app is bad, it's decent in my eyes), give them a reason too. Tell your friends to buy WP8, tell your mom to buy WP8, tell everyone to buy it.

"If you build the install base, the developers will come"

NOTE: Adobe Reader is just a reader. If the Microsoft one allows you to read the same documents with no problems then what the **** is the problem? We're not talking about Adobe Acrobat here, we're not making pdfs, only viewing them. The Adobe reader was terrible anyway.

Also, what does that tell you when Microsoft is making all these apps eh? That the developers of these services care about you as a WP customer, or that Microsoft cares about you? Clearly, Microsoft is putting in a solid effort to fill in the blanks. Quit being a whiny jackass.

ImmortalWarrior, Grow up and come back when you can discuss things like an adult.

Microsoft is a huge company with a lot of money and influence. They need to spread a bit of that around and get some of these developers on board. From watching all of the WP8 and Windows8 launch events I thought they were on their way. Just just not as on their way as I would have hoped. I love the Nokia 920 and the WP8 OS but I'm having a hard time using it as my daily work phone because of some of these apps short comings. I'm a electrical engineer and I NEED a pdf reader that works. The MS PDF reader I installed refuses to open 90% of the pdf files that I try to open from clicking web links. This is totally unacceptable. The adobe app with Android has never failed that way.

I plan to start using SkyDrive but I have a lot of files and time invested in DropBox. MS promised DropBox at the WP8 event and its still a no show. The WP8 DropBox viewer has some issues also that I'm having a hard time dealing with, BUT I think it will work good enough for me to start weening me off DropBox and using SkyDrive more.

I'm a engineer and engineers tend to look at the weaknesses of things before they look at the strengths. Like I said I love the Nokia 920, I love WP8 and Win8, the WP MS office apps are top notch, the WP8 Evernote app is very good, there are a lot of positives. I bought the Nokia 920 and I'm giving it a good honest try and not just trolling here. I'm also going to get a Surface Pro when they become available early next year. I'm giving MS my $$$ and my time and I'll start recommending WP8 and Win8 to people when I think their ready. Right now Win8 and WP8 OS's are ready but the Win8 Metro and WP8 app's aren't. Its not like WP has just come out, WP7.x has been around for two years now. MS and its developers have to work a bit harder!

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You do realize this poster probably never actually had a Windows Phone. When you see one post fire and forget like this, and especially when he goes to an ecosystem that also does most of the things he is complaining about, the odds are its a troll.

Not a troll, I've used WinMobile stuff since its been around. Ditched MS mobile stuff for Android when WP7.x came out. Trying WP out again and like I said over all I like it, its just a lot of little things bugging me. Thought I made that clear.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Yea, I've knida figured this out over the weekend, but thanks for the kind reply! I take a lot a close up pictures of electronics and mechanical assemblies and the 920 tends to want to focus on objects farther away and I'm trying to tap the screen by habit to tell it where to focus. I've got the hang of it now and now I'm taking better pictures than with my Moto Atrix.

Now that I'm using the phone the way it wants to be used instead of trying to get it to work the way I want it to work, things are much more enjoyable.

Again, thanks for the pointers!

WPFanboy

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I honestly thought that the people who said Google uses your informations to sell ads were only Microsoft fans, but lately, as I'm so interested in learning swedish, Ive found ads related to learning swedish all over the web, but google is great, I mean bing sucks :/ and yahoo too :/ we're kinda forced to use google.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You do realize this poster probably never actually had a Windows Phone. When you see one post fire and forget like this, and especially when he goes to an ecosystem that also does most of the things he is complaining about, the odds are its a troll.

We don't call anyone a troll on WPCentral. Please refrain to call a troll, a troll even if you know it. Best way is to report such a post and a moderator will keep an eye on the thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo